What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Yesterday) Picked up two Domino's pizzas and a side, drove 45 miles to provide lunch for Elder Daughter and her coworkers, who were doing taxes for last-minute HRBlock-ers. It was a 12-hour day for them (only 8 hours today) and apparently the local pizza place was thoroughly unimpressive.

Took Dale outside on a leash. He's getting used to outdoors again. He hissed at me when I picked him up; that's a good thing. I'm hoping that we'll be able to remove the harness today and leave him outside.

Cardiologist in Nov: "You're going back on Brilinta for a year. I apologize in advance for all the scratches and bruises." ;) Eight bruises/scabs so far in April. Geniece is amused. For years a few people thought I abused her---hereditary dark circles under her eyes. "Turnabout is fair play, dear." Fine. I'm gonna start wearing big dark sunglasses when we're in public. Do a little showboat-type limping, too.🤣

Worked on organizing photos that we have taken through the years and have a lot more to go. Got to eat Mexican, compliments of our daughter-in-law.

I have watched them knock the balls back under the stove 5 minutes after I got them out.
We haven't had any problems with anything except the clothes washer and dryer. I cut a piece of wood to fit under the front of the machines to block the balls from going under there and no more problems.

Got up in the middle of the night to check my blood sugar. Normal, that's good.
Might as well check TV... Iran stopped shooting at Israel...good.
Ooooo, footy is on!
Oh crap! It's 2 in the AM and I've got to get up early for a launch...
Footy is being recorded anyway

Started fertilizing the yard. Ran out of fertilizer. Went to Home Depot and got four bags. $29 each. Some insecticide and some insect and disease spray for the broad leaf shrubs and trees. Then to Walmart. Every time I go shopping and hit pay I stunned at the price. Doesn't help that I bought 50lbs of bird seed, $40. Two 38lb boxes of cat litter, $30 each and 54 cans of cat food, some 88 cents and some $1.11 each. Got a new laundry hamper too. $579. Big ouch. With the $220 at HD that was $790 in 2 hours. The prices are crazy high. 91 octane gas has gone up almost a dollar in four weeks. Now at $5.20. I'll bet it hits $6 by mid summer. I haven't told my wife how much I spent. I don't want to pull her down from the ceiling.

The girl that lived across the street from my wife when she was growing up, stopped by for the first time in 20 years on her way up I-77, so we caught up on all the family stuff

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay with Jill and many tame tropical fish

Gwen's best friend Jill finally made it out to Hawaii from Las Vegas. It's been a while since I last went snorkeling there, mostly because of Covid and the strict rules the C&C put on visitors. At this time, locals don't need a reservation or pay a fee, but tourists pay $25. The reservation system is insane and part of the reason why I don't go to the county firing range anymore. You have to go on their website exactly at 8am two days before you want to go, and the spots sell out in a matter of minutes.

I think because of the strict tourists rules, it's not as crowded as it was before (which is good for the reef and fish). The parking lot used to be full from 8am to noon but seemed like there was parking now. The hard part is getting in the water. After about five minutes, my body adjusts to the water temperature and salt in the eyes. After that, I wonder why I don't do this more often.

The bay is a nature preserve that doesn't allow any fishing, and the fish know it. The fish seem to travel around the bay in gangs with different species, usually around one of the big three foot monsters. There were two massive parrotfish with beak like teeth. You can hear the fish chomping at the algae on the coral. This was also the first time I've seen a wild octopus. It was about a foot long and shot brown ink at me when I got close.

Later, I swam out to the right buoy where there was a single coral bolder. My GoPro was almost out of battery so left it behind. As I approached, a massive moray eel about 4ft long with a 6in wide head swam out from under the rock and stopped about 3ft from me. I looked at it, it looked at me, then it swam away. It was awesome.

We then went to Kualoa Ranch where we went on the ag tour which has some of the Hollywood sets including Jurassic World, Snatched, and 50 First Dates. The real Hollywood tour is $159 each without the Kamaaina (local) discount which is far above our tax bracket. Afterwards, we visited the macadamia nut farm and went to the Tantalus Lookout over Honolulu where we did the customary Hawaiian dad pose that you see on the tourist videos.

Last edited:
Another rough night. Finally got to sleep about 6am. Cats woke me up at 8 to feed them. Went back to bed and got up at 4:30pm. Feel like crap. Quick Care tomorrow. My wife isn't well either. After the first visit to Quick Care we started feeling better. Then kept getting sicker.

We took a few photos of a gorgeous red fox that ran through our backyard. It ran past one of the semi-stray cats and we saw the fox had something in its mouth. My wife says it was the heel from a loaf of sourdough bread. She had tossed the heel out about 15 minutes prior. The fox took off and we got the cat into our garage to keep it safe. She didn't hesitate to come in, especially with the canned food my wife gave it.

Drove to Nashville, which town continues to be incapable of anything resembling reasonable traffic flow. Interstate 24 to I-65 is always, always a mess. Flew to Charlotte NC, which is where I am now, waiting for the flight to Pittsburgh, then the drive to PartsUnknown PA for some dedication-thing at my alma mater. Returning Monday.

Decided these dreary rural types are pretty boring with what they think others should View attachment 640981find interesting. So here’s a picture of my new trailer.
If you make your trailer wheels the same size and bolt pattern as the towing vehicle, you can get rid of 1 spare.

Had one of my cigar buddies come over to the gazebo, we enjoyed catching up with each other as we had not seen each other for 4 or five months. I got to smoke a cigar that a pipe smoking friend had gifted me, with pipe tobacco in it.

I wish I had a trailer. I feel as bad as I did yesterday. I went to Quick Care at 7:15pm. The place is usually deserted then. They were full tonight. I'll go back tomorrow. My wife got a text from her oldest daughter. They'll be here Saturday. Nice warning. Now my wife feels the need to clean the house and she isn't feeling that great either. We haven't seen them in a few years so it will be good to see them. Her and her husband are both Air Force Veterans. The daughter spent her entire 23 years at Fairchild AFB in Spokane. She was a B52 crew chief and then a KC135 crew chief when the B52's went away. Ended up as the NCOIC of the maintenance shop. The other daughter spent a couple years in the US then spent 4 years in Germany in TMO. Was then assigned to the Airforce Academy. When her enlistment was up she was offered a GS position. She is in charge of transportation for the athletic program. Sometime she flies with the teams. She has been here a few times with the teams. She has been there for 24 years. I found enough energy to finish fertilizing the lawn. Turned the sprinklers on for the first time this year. This year of crazy weather. Last week it was in the high 60's Sunday it's supposed to be 91. 88 for Saturdays launch. I put the robot in the pool. The ducks just watched. They don't fly away any more when the see me. Only saw Mr Duck. No Mrs. I hope she is not on a nest in the yard. I really don't want ducklings.

Latest posts

Back