Ways NOT to use Glue—- Hair Spray. Do NOT try this at home!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fair point, and I certainly don’t wish any pain and suffering on this individual. My suspicion is the best treatment is likely to do nothing and wear a head covering until it grows out enough to cut it off. Questionable whether there will be scalp damage to prevent hair regrowth, if so more likely do to attempts to dissolve or otherwise remove the glue than the glue itself.

perhaps this is not an individual failure so much as a failure in education, parenting, and societal expectations.

schools need a “life skills” class, including things like how to balance a checkbook, how to read labels on products, basics on life, car, renters, and home insurance, job application skills including communications, presentation, and resume writing. Family planning, factually information on alcohol, prescription and nonprescription drugs, and STDs. I don’t think most of our kids or adults are lacking on IQ points, but as in this case, they either don’t (or can’t) read the labels.

that’s frightening. I don’t think Spray Adhesive is generally carried in the hair products/cosmetics isle (although perhaps a poorly trained or illiterate store clerk may have mixed it up with the Gorilla Snot product.) What if someone with these life skills was shopping for Hawaiian Punch and picked up hydraulic fluid instead?

parents and schools are failing our children. In this case likely (and hopefully only temporarily) resulting in a cosmetic problem. Could have been far worse.

one of the worst oxymorons of the current day: Common Sense.

fair point, and I certainly don’t wish any pain and suffering on this individual. My suspicion is the best treatment is likely to do nothing and wear a head covering until it grows out enough to cut it off. Questionable whether there will be scalp damage to prevent hair regrowth, if so more likely do to attempts to dissolve or otherwise remove the glue than the glue itself.

perhaps this is not an individual failure so much as a failure in education, parenting, and societal expectations.

schools need a “life skills” class, including things like how to balance a checkbook, how to read labels on products, basics on life, car, renters, and home insurance, job application skills including communications, presentation, and resume writing. Family planning, factually information on alcohol, prescription and nonprescription drugs, and STDs. I don’t think most of our kids or adults are lacking on IQ points, but as in this case, they either don’t (or can’t) read the labels.

that’s frightening. I don’t think Spray Adhesive is generally carried in the hair products/cosmetics isle (although perhaps a poorly trained or illiterate store clerk may have mixed it up with the Gorilla Snot product.) What if someone with these life skills was shopping for Hawaiian Punch and picked up hydraulic fluid instead?

parents and schools are failing our children. In this case likely (and hopefully only temporarily) resulting in a cosmetic problem. Could have been far worse.

This earth-shatteringly important news report was recently updated to indicate that yes, she indeed cut it off (after a full month of this torment), had by that time raised $11,000--wait--updated to $15,000 as of last night, on her ridiculous GoFundMe account that she will use for her "medical expenses". She plans to fly to L.A. to see a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills (she lives in Louisiana) who is apparently highly trained in the nuances of Gorilla spray adhesive removal from her mostly bald melon, oh my!

Poor poor Tessica Brown. My heart bleeds for her--she looks completely traumatized. Good thing she has already hired an attorney to assist her battle for justice from Gorilla's blatant negligence.
1612947182300.png

Last edited:
<<snip>> Gorilla Glue has also issued an official statement regarding Brown’s conundrum, as well as the fact that its label clearly warns against usage on skin, clothing or eyes (likely never guessing they’d need to add hair to that list), and posted it to social media, saying in a tweet:

“We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best.”
I have come to the conclusion that most mfgs need to either remove warning labels like that and let Darwin decide their fate, or create new, much shorter labels such as, "If you're a dumbass, please don't use our product!" Just my opinion of course. That and $4.00 will buy you a cup of coffee if you're lucky! :rolleyes:

This earth-shatteringly important news report was recently updated to indicate that yes, she indeed cut it off (after a full month of this torment), had by that time raised $11,000--wait--updated to $15,000 as of last night, on her ridiculous GoFundMe account that she will use for her "medical expenses". She plans to fly to L.A. to see a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills (she lives in Louisiana) who is apparently highly trained in the nuances of Gorilla spray adhesive removal from her mostly bald melon, oh my!

Poor poor Tessica Brown. My heart bleeds for her--she looks completely traumatized. Good thing she has already hired an attorney to assist her battle for justice from Gorilla's blatant negligence.
View attachment 450120644D7F2A-BF21-4C73-87A6-BA10E75C0F6A.png
644D7F2A-BF21-4C73-87A6-BA10E75C0F6A.png

again, don’t mean to be uncaring, but there is something strikingly apropos about the can in the forgeound

<<snip>>

2nd time: My best friend & I just got into R/C planes. Were building a Sig King Kobra. A foam core wing. <<snip>>
I absolutely LOVED the King Cobra (and the regular Cobra for that matter), but I sure did hate skinning foam-core wings! My preference was for the other types of adhesives at the time, such as Southern Sorghum, or one of the foam-safe permanent spray adhesives, but I truly hated ALL of them! 🤣

I have come to the conclusion that most mfgs need to either remove warning labels like that and let Darwin decide their fate, or create new, much shorter labels such as, "If you're a dumbass, please don't use our product!" Just my opinion of course. That and $4.00 will buy you a cup of coffee if you're lucky! :rolleyes:
Neither the current nor suggested labels will help, if Johnny or Joanie can’t read and/or is too busy with ”other” things to bother with mundane things like reading instructions. Given current state of public education, with far greater emphasis on political correctness than practical knowledge, likely to continue.

Sort of like the famous last words,

”Don’t bother me with the instructions, I know what I am doing!” (Often associated with, “Hold my beer.”)

as @HHaase implies, it isn’t funny if someone really gets hurt, and I hope there is no permanent cosmetic or physical injury here. If there is a psychological injury, it is self inflicted. If I did something this “misinformed” I don’t think I would post or advertise about it.
However, given she made $15k in ”GoFundMe”, she obviously struck a more sympathetic cord with others than I have given her on this forum. Shame on me.

Not sure how much good wigs are going for these days.......

Don't tell anyone, but most hair sprays are very diluted shellac. Very diluted. Do not open a can of Zinsser and apply to head!

"How to make a buck off your own stupidity"

A normal person doesn't put glue in their hair. If a normal person did, they would be too embarrassed to tell anyone.

There is too much sensitivity here - she's a moron out to make a buck off her own stupidity

It's a classic of the early days of forums for sure. I remember when it was actively happening and the discussion was getting linked everywhere. It came across my path over at The Ranger Station at the time.

and there is no warning on lawnmowers to not use them to trim a hedge but it has been done and he lost most of his fingers

I thought I'd reply to this a little more specifically. If schools need to teach kids how to balance a checkbook, we're in deep, deep trouble. And we probably are. It tells me a lot that with all the aid programs, food banks, WIC, etc, our city schools serve not only lunch, but breakfast, and often send after-school packs home as well. You can't even put a bowl of Cheerios in front of your child in the AM? Now to an extent I can understand that low income jobs also often come with odd hours, but SOME adult should be in the home with young children when they are going and coming from school. And a teen certainly ought to know how to feed him/her self. If there is no food in the home to eat, that is a much bigger problem (probably drugs), and we need to find a way to deal with that besides continued enablement.

Probably one of the most telling things was a funny post over on the LOL pictures thread, which noted that a truck owner's manual used to tell you how to set your valves; now it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery.

as @HHaase implies, it isn’t funny if someone really gets hurt, and I hope there is no permanent cosmetic or physical injury here. If there is a psychological injury, it is self inflicted. If I did something this “misinformed” I don’t think I would post or advertise about it.
However, given she made $15k in ”GoFundMe”, she obviously struck a more sympathetic cord with others than I have given her on this forum. Shame on me.
Well the article I read also highlighted that she had over 780k TikTok "fans" and over 696k Instagram "fans" who she had to involve in her drama, so you can imagine within that group there's at least a few suckers who are simple enough to convince to part with their cash with her urgent emotional plea. A Beverly Hills plastic surgeon who's a glue removal pro! Maybe she can stop by Gwyneth's Goop shop while there and get some healing crystals and calming cooch-scented candles (yes, that's a real thing from that huckster actress/"activist"). Actually, just checked Go Fund Me moments ago: She's up to $17,781 (think that's after GFM takes their %) from 1100 sympathetic idiots.

But it's all about the looooove!!!
1612971050526.png

Reading the Herculiner thread and this, I can sort of sympathize. Other postings recalling similar events made me recall what happened to me.
I was in A&P school. The school was a licensed FBO so we learned on real live customer owned aircraft. One of the projects was an overhaul of a Bell 47. At the time another one of the students was painting the tail rotor guard with fluorescent orange Imron. Just as I walked by he dropped the 1 Qrt pressure pot. The lid came of and paint flew everywhere. Most of it covering me from ankles up. My right arm was covered, including the side of my face and my shoulder length hair. Wiping most of what I could off immediately I was still left with major orange stains.
The only solvent we had to work with was toluol. I was OK with that on my arm, but not on my face. The orange hair, well much to my fathers joy, got cut off. It took more than a month for the orange hue to leave the rest of my skin.
But seriouslyy? Who thinks that using Gorilla glue in your hair is a smart solution?

At the time another one of the students was painting the tail rotor guard with fluorescent orange Imron. Just as I walked by he dropped the 1 Qrt pressure pot. The lid came of and paint flew everywhere. Most of it covering me from ankles up. My right arm was covered, including the side of my face and my shoulder length hair. Wiping most of what I could off immediately I was still left with major orange stains.
The only solvent we had to work with was toluol. I was OK with that on my arm, but not on my face.
The color was the least of your worries.
Imron is known to cause serious allergic reactions including death. I would think dousing yourself with Toluol would have a high risk of liver damage.

I thought I'd reply to this a little more specifically. If schools need to teach kids how to balance a checkbook, we're in deep, deep trouble. And we probably are. It tells me a lot that with all the aid programs, food banks, WIC, etc, our city schools serve not only lunch, but breakfast, and often send after-school packs home as well. You can't even put a bowl of Cheerios in front of your child in the AM? Now to an extent I can understand that low income jobs also often come with odd hours, but SOME adult should be in the home with young children when they are going and coming from school. And a teen certainly ought to know how to feed him/her self. If there is no food in the home to eat, that is a much bigger problem (probably drugs), and we need to find a way to deal with that besides continued enablement.

Probably one of the most telling things was a funny post over on the LOL pictures thread, which noted that a truck owner's manual used to tell you how to set your valves; now it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery.
And be careful with Tide Juicer PacketsE79C7DB0-827D-42BD-A6D8-88A9F6E7C6A2.jpeg

Imron is known to cause serious allergic reactions including death. I would think dousing yourself with Toluol would have a high risk of liver damage.
Acute tolulene exposure would be more likely to cause neurological symptoms than serious liver damage. Think glue sniffing. One bath in it would not be desirable, but probably less dangerous than a lifetime of varied hydrocarbon exposure from filling up at the gas station. Dunno about Imron, specifically, though, but I'm sure it wasn't pleasant!

Oh I was very familiar with what toluene could do to you. I was more worried about getting most of the paint off and used very little on my arm, none on my face. As I said, most just wore off. What was in my hair, a simple haircut got rid of 95 % of. The clothing just got tossed.
I went back for a visit about 5 years after I graduated, that orange Imron was still very much visible on the floor.

Darwinism took a left turn when humans became "civilized" but it still works, it just take longer to kill yourself sometimes.

Question. Will her hair grow out under the GG? If so, in a month, they should be able to slip a razor under her GG cap and slowly cut it off.

OK, but to the assembled experts out there...

If you WERE to use glue in your hair, what type of glue would be best?

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back