Ways NOT to use Glue—- Hair Spray. Do NOT try this at home!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
And gotta love the follow up

Since the original video surfaced, Brown has set up a GoFundMe and there have been talks of her exploring her legal options since Gorilla Glue doesn’t specifically warn against hair usage. Gorilla Glue has also issued an official statement regarding Brown’s conundrum, as well as the fact that its label clearly warns against usage on skin, clothing or eyes (likely never guessing they’d need to add hair to that list), and posted it to social media, saying in a tweet:

“We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best.”

Last edited:
And we wonder why ... (See other threads about: education, government assistance, Darwin awards, [lack of] common sense, future prosperity of [insert country] .. )

It seems to explain the majority of all instructions for assembling basically, anything. 60% CYA for stupidity, 40% actual assembly instructions.

Apparently, you need to add stupid stuff (as in-extrapolating that something that would be bad to apply to skin might not be a good thing to apply to hair). I guess Gorilla should compensate people for doing stupid things for stupid reasons. I'm thinking I should apply epoxy to my hair and complain to the epoxy people that there was no warning that it wasn't compatible with hair, and might result in (temporary) baldness.

I'm not looking forward to my Ikea desk having 30 pages of legalese before it tells me where to put the screws, but it's only a few more pages than before, I guess. I'm waiting for the warnings not to apply these screws to my head.

In the US, they'd have more credibility if the safety warnings weren't written in broken english.

In Europe and South Africa they are confused/amazed by the detailed warning stickers on American Bic lighters.

To me, that glue mishap seems like great free advertising for Gorilla!

I just checked the label for the gallon of 2-part foam that I just got, it doesn't say anything about non-hair usage either.

I worked construction in college (22 years ago). One of the projects was a corporate retreat place in Western, MD (here actually: https://www.savageriverlodge.com). One project for my crew of $7/hr general (unskilled) laborers was to stain the cabins and main lodge, it took us weeks. As we were eating lunch one day the guy next to me, who had been intently studying the fine print on the back of a 5 gal jug of cabin stain shouted "D**n" out of nowhere. We asked him what his problem was. He shook his head and sadly said "It says do not ingest". Based I guess on the looks we were giving him he continued "I was gonna drink some, and then sue the company."

At least the Gorilla Glue lady didn't have the plan ahead of time.

I worked construction in college (22 years ago). One of the projects was a corporate retreat place in Western, MD (here actually: https://www.savageriverlodge.com). One project for my crew of $7/hr general (unskilled) laborers was to stain the cabins and main lodge, it took us weeks. As we were eating lunch one day the guy next to me, who had been intently studying the fine print on the back of a 5 gal jug of cabin stain shouted "D**n" out of nowhere. We asked him what his problem was. He shook his head and sadly said "It says do not ingest". Based I guess on the looks we were giving him he continued "I was gonna drink some, and then sue the company."

At least the Gorilla Glue lady didn't have the plan ahead of time.
You assume she didn't or is there evidence to that?
It's not like planning to cut off your finger with a table saw, hair normally grows back.
I would not be surprised either way.

You assume she didn't or is there evidence to that?
It's not like planning to cut off your finger with a table saw, hair normally grows back.
I would not be surprised either way.

I am admittedly applying the philosophy "Never apply to malice what can be explained by stupidity". Even though I can personally site an example of the opposite. I have seen far more instances of terrifying stupidity than I have calculated fraud. I guess I'm either giving the benefit of the doubt, or just playing the numbers.

I will admit (And my friends will back you up on this) I have had glue in my hair.. twice..

1st time: I was a punk rocker in my early early days, grade 11 / end of high school. I had quite the mo-hawk, but it was a pain to keep up. So, I decided to try something more than moose, spray starch, teasing etc.. I watered down some Elmer's white school glue (water soluble! - made sure!!) and I use that. Ended up with some pretty hard & pointy spikes! Definably was a unique look!! Later that day, my girlfriend insisted I de-spike my hair, so into the shower we went. And washed and washed and washed my hair. (and hey, 17yrs olds in the shower!! WooHoo!! ) It all came out with a good soaking. And I must admit, my hair was super soft after that!! Like, really silky smooth soft! (She was jealous!!)

2nd time: My best friend & I just got into R/C planes. Were building a Sig King Kobra. A foam core wing. Well, we mixed up a huge batch of epoxy to skin the 1st core. We slathered it on the under skin, and put the skin & core in teh shuck. We then applied it to teh upper skin, and placed it on top of teh foam core, then then applied teh shuck to teh top and we then applied weight (us, sitting on it.. 30 minute epoxy) I leaned over to ensure nothing had shifted, and low & behold, my hair found the 8.5" x 11" pad we mixed teh epoxy on.. I sat back up, and pulled this glue pad out of my hair.. Yeah, hair soaked epoxy, and I really couldn't move until the wing had set up.. I was pulling bits of epoxy out of my hair for weeks..

So many jokes here, none of which are politically correct. I often think the herd needs thinned...

That being said, in 1978 when I was a junior in high school I was in FFA (Future Farmers of America). We painted a grain hopper wagon for a local farmer, and we spray painted it orange. I ended up with orange overspray in my hair.... and back then I had a lot hair. Our ag teacher thought it was hilarious.

Surprisingly it washed right out using regular ole Johnsons shampoo?

Ya'll remember the Hair Bear Bunch?

1612903120309.png

Last edited:
and people wonder how people fall off cliffs taking selfies of themselves...... I did all my stupid stuff between 13 and 21.....but my excuse was that my brain was still maturing.....despite the alcohol and drugs.....

Been wondering why she made the mistake, and finally found what happened. There is a hair product called "Gorilla Snot Gel" which she had intended to use, but got the wrong product somehow. She didn't realize the mistake until it was far too late. What made it worse was that the Gorilla Glue seemingly made her hair look the way she wanted, thus she didn't question anything until well after it had cured.

Sometimes I get a laugh at the expense of others on the internet, but I can't find find humor in this case. Too much pain and suffering, and they don't know yet if her hair will grow back ever.

Hootus? Is that something like POTUS :questions:

... I can't find find humor in this case. Too much pain and suffering, and they don't know yet if her hair will grow back ever.

Ugh... Seriously? Do stupid ****, win stupid prizes.

It'll grow back... once they remove the glue. I'm betting acetone would work and this seems to support that.

Last edited:
1st time: I was a punk rocker in my early early days, grade 11 / end of high school. I had quite the mo-hawk, but it was a pain to keep up.

A friend in high school swore by Elmer's to keep his liberty spikes up too. He never seemed to have issues washing it out.

A long time ago, I had an ambulance call to a school bus where a kid's eye was glued shut with super glue. The story from the kid was there was a fight and a bully did it, but I always imagined it was more of a bet or dare. I never did find out how they fixed it for the kid.

There is a hair product called "Gorilla Snot Gel" which she had intended to use, but got the wrong product somehow. She didn't realize the mistake until it was far too late.

So the Gorilla Glue was located in the same place as hair care products?
Last time I was at Menards I did not see shampoo located with the Titebond.
Maybe I just didn't look close enough. Perhaps the desk I made for my wife is actually held together with Mousse?

I worked with a woman many years ago who put Superglue in her eye thinking she was holding contact solution.
Seems like it really was an accident and she wasn't trying to sue anyone.

One point though. If the person misusing the product didn't read the label and notice that it was glue then it is likely a "not for hair" warning would not have caught their attention either.

She’s also trying to sue Gorilla because of it and people started a GoFundMe for her which I heard she’s going to use they money from to sue even though the donations say for medical bills. She ****** around and found out. It’s her fault and no one else and she needs to own up to it.

Last edited:
She’s also trying to sue Gorilla because of it and people started a GoFundMe for her which I heard she’s going to use they money from to sue even though the donations say for medical bills. She messed up and found out. It’s her fault and no one else and she needs to own up to it.
Today owning-up to your own mistakes isn't cool. You have to find someone to blame for your own stupidity.
Sad thing is Gorilla will probably settle, and we'll all ultimately pay for it.😖

Last edited by a moderator:
But there is a Swedish Chain Saw "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals "

Why is that warning even required?
Because liberal decisions based on liberal interpretation of the law have bolstered the Nanny state and it demands that nobody be deprived of every possible way to protect them from themselves no matter how negligent they are. And corporations cannot afford to go against it. There I said it! You succeeded in getting me to come-out.

There is a defense in tort law called "contributory negligence" that reduces awards for stupidity. I bet that is seldom uttered today,Likely because it's offset by the sympathy the claimant gets for their "pain and suffering". The fact that it's self inflicted gets lost. I may be too skeptical here.
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back