NAR Prez on Feedback

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by DynaSoar

Articles by people who know everything and tell you what to do and not do make me cringe. It's intimidating to newer users to be confronted with so much expertise. It makes them more aware of their sho0rtcomings and dissuades them from experimenting and exploring.

Guess I don't understand that position. Many hobby related pubs have columns by seasoned veterans. Their tone, when done right, has nothing to do with "thou shalt not" and everything to do with "thou shouldst try this." I'm talking about columns on how to get the most out of the hobby, not to narrow one's focus. I'm thinking of Sky and Telescope as one example. Regularly monthly articles on the benefits of different types of filters or eyepieces, or how to find some difficult to locate gem. Definitely big helps to the less experienced. Couldn't imagine Sky and Telescope being worth much of anything without those articles. If you want NAR to be about bringing expertise, then this would be one way to do it.

I agree with Illini & Dick on that one Dyan! Most of the articles I've read in model rocketeer and sport rocketry are done by folks with a lot of practical in the lab and field experience. I can't Think of one that gave the impression "do this or don't do it at all". Most of these detailed studies follow months and years of work on a particular aspect of the hobby. It's always been the dedication to the dessemination of data and information that has driven these publications. Your apparent approach is to have everyone reinvent the wheel which is simply unproductive and really wastes a lot of time they could be using to advance a lesser researched skill or subject.

I complain about the price every years...but pay it for the reasons I cited in the earlier post. And because I've come to realize, like Jim broke down it's really a tiny fraction of the total money I lay out every year in the hobby.

Bob: I flew for almost 10 years back in the 60's "with the family" like you before being introduced to the NAR. Back then it was truely inexpensive and the insurance was/is a great way to get other landowners to let you use there fields.

I really think all this goes back to my original statements about the NAR going back to it's original SERVICE orginization roots. Where they layed the gournd work for the NFPA and FAA exemptions. worked with local clubs to secure fields and did MUCH more PR work than they have in the last 6 or 7 years. If your flying from your own property your very lucky. Most of us don't have that luxury, We must deal with property owners, insurance and state and local laws.

Siverleaf: Why would you think we'ed flame you for bringing up very good points. I have to agree 62.00 is a very high price to pay for a magazine and a membership card. Especially if your not using the insurance part of the package. But you guys must also realize were talking about a fairly small group, 4300 -5000 people nation wide is a tiny bunch to try to insure. These small circulation numbers will also make the publication of the magazine costly, especially if trying to compete with other publications like extreame rocketry, or the HPR mag. If the NAR will realize..I guess accept, we are a nitch hobby with some growth potential but NOT unlimited growth, perhaps they will then concentrate on bringing new youth members into MODEL ROCKETRY, we can have a better chance of "staying in business":D
Maybe Bunny needs to better define "all" those membership services he mentions in better detail for the average consumer.
Like you, all I see for the money is a Magazine, Insurance and that all important membership card:D

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Charging fees to cert, in addition to membership fees and all the other expenses of getting started in high power, would be counterproductive to growing the hobby.

I think that's completely backwards. The hobby grows from the bottom. It's already so top heavy that it's in danger of collapsing.

If the people at the top want to the hobby to grow, they should pay forward to make that happen.

If I can pay say $10 for my cert flight and replacement card with my new level on it, and then $5 more for my annual renewal, that $15 could be used to reduce a junior member first time cost of joining by half.

Case in point: Jan/Feb 2005 Sport Rocketry magazine

About 30 pics of high power stuff. About 3 pics of low power stuff.

If I wanted to design something to scare first timers away from joining and small model builders away from renewing, it'd look like this.

The top branches are choking off the roots.

That's one reason why I favor the notion of regular columnists...to balance things out a bit. Back when I joined NAR the first time in the late '70s it seemed like every issue of Model Rocketeer was about nothing but competition flying. Columns would bring both balance and expertise to the fore.

Back