University Rocket Club Level 2 Rocket Recommendations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think of the Patriot? I can't tell if it's dual deploy or not. https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=8209.
Patriots are really nice rockets.....but...they require the builder to carefully watch stability and add appropriate noseweight, typically the kits are not dual deploy but can be either stretched or modded to make them DD. I would typically recommend a rocket with a higher Length to Diameter ratio (fineness(?) ratio) and larger fins.

Let's face it, 5 year thread necropsy isn't hardly the worst that we've seen!

That is true. At least my response is calm. These are two of yours. They were only a little over three years each.

"Holy thread necropsy, Batman! You do realize that this is the 2012 thread?"

"Holy thread necropsy, Bat Man! Cool to look back and see how far you've come!"

That is true. At least my response is calm. These are two of yours. They were only a little over three years each.

"Holy thread necropsy, Batman! You do realize that this is the 2012 thread?"

"Holy thread necropsy, Bat Man! Cool to look back and see how far you've come!"
I guess humor doesn't translate very well to you.

Id recommend any 3 kit from Wildman. The Punisher is probably the easiest to construct, and they will be on sale this weekend. You will need to buy 1/4 Kevlar for the harness, motor retainer, and a chute separately. And invest in some Rocketpoxy. Thats probably the best stiff for putting it all together.

You should also start thinking about how to control the recovery. The simplest method is probably to buy one or two Jolly Logic Chute Releases. They could easily be transferred from one rocket to another if everyone plans to do a cert flight on the same day.

I also recommend taking the L2 test before the day of the cert flight. That will just give you one less thing to worry about on the day of the flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
I would recommend a 4in fiberglass kit instead of a 3in one because there’s more parachute space, and it reduces the risk of a recovery failure from having things too tightly packed.

My favorite is the Mad Cow SDX3 with a longer 24in upper main parachute compartment.

I also had to use 5/8in radius epoxy fin filets reinforced with chopped carbon fiber because the 1/8in G10 fins showed signs of damaging fin flutter starting with larger K motors.

I recommend redundant RRC2/RRC3 flight computer for dual deployment, 2g BP in aluminum Additive Aerospace charge wells, and a Featherweight GPS in the nosecone payload bay for tracking on any flight over 2,000 feet.

My SDX3 has completed 10 successful launches, the highest, using an L1100 that reached an altitude of nearly 10,000 feet.

Back