Laws on UK Solid Rocket Motors and Where to buy chemicals from

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperNova-Rocketry

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to ask if anybody knew what the laws are surrounding making your own Solid Rocket Motor in the UK. From my current knowledge, we would require the following: Explosives handing, Explosives manufacturing, and transportation license.
This motor WILL NOT be flown in a rocket, (for now at least), and we simply want to dip our feet into the rabbit hole of propulsion in High Power Rockets. If anyone has any other information it would be really helpful. The other issue is that I am a student, and so is the rest of my team. Considering this, we are unable to obtain the licenses, so I wanted to see if it would be possible to use a loophole such as developing the engine with a larger company as a sponsor (e.g how CUSF used Reaction Engines to make their liquid fueled engines) or if we tried to work with a university with links to rocketry such as University of Manchester or Imperial College London and by them having the licenses and us doing it inside of their labs if that would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to make a inquiry on the laws around making a Solid Rocket Engine, (e.g needing a explosives manufacture license) and also if this could be worked around by a student team who aren't able to obtain these licenses by working with a university who could have the licenses or working with a company who already make rocket engines (e.g Reaction Engines)

Secondly, I wanted to ask where to obtain chemicals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea about the laws are in the UK, but my suggestion would be to sit down and talk to someone in the enforcement agency. Most of the time they are happy to tell you how to do it legally so they can spend their resources chasing nefarious actors instead.

I wanted to make a inquiry on the laws around making a Solid Rocket Engine, (e.g needing a explosives manufacture license) and also if this could be worked around by a student team who aren't able to obtain these licenses by working with a university who could have the licenses or working with a company who already make rocket engines (e.g Reaction Engines)

Secondly, I wanted to ask where to obtain chemicals.

Making your own solid rocket propellant (what is termed 'EX' here on TRF) is illegal for private individuals in the UK. I would not advise trying to 'work around' any law. If you or other students wish to work with a licensed commercial company producing propellants, work with your university turors to set up placements or internships in the aerospace industry. For student groups the law is the same as for private individuals - your rocket motors must be commercially manufactured by a recognised manufacturer (Aerotech, Cesaroni, Estes).
UKRA (www.ukra.org.uk) can advise in more detail.

Back