Level 1 Cert Rocket Kit Recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been building LPR for a long time. When I started buying LOC kits I didn't even look at the instructions, I knew how to put the pieces together. I made modifications to incorporate my own baffle design for motor ejection, my own shock cord mount using eyebolts, and my own motor retention using T-nuts. I have 5 rockets capable of mid power and high power, 2 were kits but 3 were scratch built using LOC parts.

I'm going to agree on this point. Having built many rockets in the past, I found that LOC's instructions were fine. I can see where they might be a little sparse on details for someone that is new to building.

Honestly, these days, I really just scan through the instructions for anything that seems out of the ordinary. The only thing I'm really looking for is the CP. If they can give me the CP I can handle everything from there. Like most that are building in the mid to high power level, we change so much stuff on these builds that the instructions are really not necessary.

I'm going to agree on this point. Having built many rockets in the past, I found that LOC's instructions were fine. I can see where they might be a little sparse on details for someone that is new to building.

Honestly, these days, I really just scan through the instructions for anything that seems out of the ordinary. The only thing I'm really looking for is the CP. If they can give me the CP I can handle everything from there. Like most that are building in the mid to high power level, we change so much stuff on these builds that the instructions are really necessary.
The EZI65's instructions were pretty exceptionally bad lol. Like, it's actually better to pull up another set of instructions and use that as a guide with the EZI's instruction. There were misnumbered steps, and totally missed details. That being said, most of it was completely straight forward, except for the included materials for motor retention. They had the anglular brackets, and I couldn't figure out what they were meant for because it wasn't mentioned in the instructions, and the picture used a quick change screw-on motor retainer from LOC. I was doing my motor retention with the same retainer as the picture anyway, so I just put those pieces aside when I figured it out.

But yeah, my MPRs were pretty much all 3D printed, in-house designs. I want to do that with my HPR eventually, but for the cert I wanted to use a kit to avoid uncertainty from my own designs. Up until then, I pretty much only built rockets with cardboard and wooden materials if they were LPR designs. So I made due when I put together the HPR and it worked out since I got my L1 anyway. Now for L2 lol

PK-64_EZI-65-Instructions <-- ezi's
vs
Goblin Instructions <-- The loc globlin's

The EZI65's instructions were pretty exceptionally bad lol. Like, it's actually better to pull up another set of instructions and use that as a guide with the EZI's instruction. There were misnumbered steps, and totally missed details. That being said, most of it was completely straight forward, except for the included materials for motor retention. They had the anglular brackets, and I couldn't figure out what they were meant for because it wasn't mentioned in the instructions, and the picture used a quick change screw-on motor retainer from LOC. I was doing my motor retention with the same retainer as the picture anyway, so I just put those pieces aside when I figured it out.

But yeah, my MPRs were pretty much all 3D printed, in-house designs. I want to do that with my HPR eventually, but for the cert I wanted to use a kit to avoid uncertainty from my own designs. Up until then, I pretty much only built rockets with cardboard and wooden materials if they were LPR designs. So I made due when I put together the HPR and it worked out since I got my L1 anyway. Now for L2 lol

PK-64_EZI-65-Instructions <-- ezi's
vs
Goblin Instructions <-- The loc globlin's
Yeah. I know they are rewriting their instructions. Looks like the EZI is still the old style.

A lot of people recommend the Apogee Zephyr. I built one, and I think it's too big and heavy for a L1 cert. I may save that for my L2. A LOC IV, just about any 3" rocket if it's built well, the T-LOC, the SBR Fusion, and any other half-decent 3" or 4" rocket will work fine. I mean, L1 isn't that hard, all the rocket has to do is go up and come back down, preferably, all in one piece. People have done their L1 with DBRMs.

As soon as it gets warm again, I have a BMS 3" School Rocket that I'm doing my L1 with. I've already flown if many times on F and G motors, so I've got a pretty good idea of exactly what I'll get with any baby-H. It's been built as good as I can build it, so it'll survive almost anything. I even had a G go CATO on one launch and rip apart my shock cord, but the body tube and payload section are fine. I patched the shock cord with some orange paracord, and it's ready to fly again.

I quasi-glassed the body tube and fiberglassed the fins. Unless it goes lawn-dart into concrete it's not getting damaged.
The Apogee Zephyr is perfect for an L1 cert, its really a nice rocket with the 38mm motor capability that gives you a nice range to choose from its not heavy at all its over for an L1. Saying that the L1 isn't that hard is all bit of an understatement, it can be for sure. Good luck though, you'll figure it out. At least grab a tracker if you don't have one.

The Apogee Zephyr is perfect for an L1 cert, its really a nice rocket with the 38mm motor capability that gives you a nice range to choose from its not heavy at all its over for an L1. Saying that the L1 isn't that hard is all bit of an understatement, it can be for sure. Good luck though, you'll figure it out. At least grab a tracker if you don't have one.
I second the Zephyr. It's easy to build and the interlocking fins/centering rings provide perfect alignment without the need for a fin jig. Also, on H motors, it flys low enough to remain in sight for the entire flight.

Hi everyone, I've been a rocketeer for about 3 year total staying in the mid power arena and looking to finally move to high powered rocketry. So I would much appreciate recommendations for a rocket kit that will get me to level 1. If it can also get me to level 2 that would be great and I like scale rockets kits. Was looking at the Loc P4" Patriot kit... any thoughts?
Just wondering if you picked out a kit yet? Did you build it and cert already?

Even if you did, since you like scale, you might want to look at the Madcow 4" Seawolf kit. It's a 38mm MMT and weighs just over 5 lbs. so it's a good low and slow L1 kit.

Well it looks like David was last seen on here yesterday but he hasn't been back to the thread. I wonder what he bought?,

Back