Starter kit worth it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfram

Reaction score
Are starter kits like this one worth it for complete beginners? https://www.raketenmodellbau-klima....ssionId=&a=article&ProdNr=1112&t=23&c=26&p=26

Don't get me wrong, I understand that having even the smallest bit of experience is better than none, but would it be a better idea to just go for a little more in the first rocket(not anywhere near level 1). Just a bit more power.

So would this be a horrible idea?

Not a bad idea at all. You need a launcher, and that looks adequate for rockets with A-C motors. It doesn’t hurt anything at all to launch a ready to fly rocket, and you may learn something in the process. But go ahead and buy a more challenging kit at the same time—Level 1 or 2.

Not a bad idea at all. You need a launcher, and that looks adequate for rockets with A-C motors. It doesn’t hurt anything at all to launch a ready to fly rocket, and you may learn something in the process. But go ahead and buy a more challenging kit at the same time—Level 1 or 2.

I would think you mean "Skill Level" 1 or 2, not Hi-Power Level 1 or 2 ?

Thank you

A starter set is a good idea in many ways. It should have everything needed (except tools, paint, and glue) for your first flights.

The Alpha Book of Model Rocketry is a little dated, but still good for explaining the basics. You will find that model rockets are not terribly complex. In fact you can build a flying model (except the motors) from materials that are probably at hand. But kits are a lot easier, at least at first.

FWIW "Level 1/2/3" usually implies high power. The "Skill Level" descriptor is for the difficulty of construction. It isn't the best metric, but almost any Skill Level 1 rocket is pretty easy to build. My first few kits were probably Skill Level 1, a very long time ago before they described skill levels. First one was built at age 10 without any help. So if you're younger than that you might need help. :) Have fun!

I hate that model rocket vendors categorize rockets by "skill level." It's utterly meaningless, almost totally subjective, and completely useless information to me. It's super-aggravating that places like Estes and ACS don't let you just see all the rockets in one bucket (without also including every rocket-related item they sell) and then sort them by anything that matters like diameter, motor mount size, etc.
[/rant]

Haven't looked at those Klima motors before. I kinda would like access to some of the C6 and D9 plugged motors.

Back