Level 1 Cert Tube fin rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My 9 year old son and I are trying to build a scratch built rocket to certify for Level 1
We have chosen a tube fin design and I have modeled it in Open Rocket. I am only medium proficient in Open Rocket so I could be missing a lot.
I am posting the file here. I welcome your CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and advice.

Attachments

• Level1 Tube Fin Design BT80.ork
    3 KB · Views: 2
  • Lev 1 tube .pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
Looks good to me. I love tube fins. The F and G motors you have sims for aren't safe to fly, IMO; rail exit speed is too low. Maybe if you get a longer rail for the G. H cert sim looks perfect.

One thing I’ve found useful when doing scratch builds, kitbashes or modifications is to find a similar design to use for comparisons and what ifs - LOC has a tube fin kit called the Cyclotron, the design has been around for some time so it’s a well-proven design. Here’s the link to the product page with the specs and their Rocksim file which I’m pretty sure you can use in the current version of OR https://locprecision.com/products/4-cyclotron?_pos=1&_psq=cyclotr&_ss=e&_v=1.0.

Good luck on your project, post updates and pix as you go!

I didn't look at your design, but I'm sure it's fine. Tube fins are great in several ways!

My LOC Cyclone (3" diameter 6 tube fins) flies absolutely stable from G61-4 to J350(!).

Fly yours on a G motor first, then go for Level 1! Woo hoo!

To get the most accurate speed when leaving the rail, take that 8 ft. and subtract the distance from the bottom of the of the rail to your top rail button. That is the actual length where the rocket is guided by the rail.
Had not thought of that, thank you

Just got parts for this today. Trying to tame my EX motor to stay in sight, and trying to raise eyebrows at the same time. Will be 38mm tube fins around the 38mm motor mount sticking out of the back of a 54mm body that doesn't bother extending beyond the necessary.

I think your design is fine for F and G motors. You might consider doubling the fin count, and checking the total fin/glue weight, to better approximate tube fin drag.

Attachments

• Kraken Pusher 38.ork
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
FWIW, I've done my L1, L2, and L3 on increasingly large (and now fiberglass) tube fin rockets. I also started out working on it with my son, who has since graduated to things that are far more complicated than what I build. (The attached photo is a 3 inch rocket with 3 inch tube fins, and the launch video is here: https://vimeo.com/317747037)

A few comments/pieces of advice I've learned:
1) I found it very useful to make a spreadsheet with all the items going into the rocket weighed and sized. That way you know where the weight is coming from after assembly.
2) At the top of the motor mount, I installed an eye bolt that I threaded a loop of Kevlar through and just leave in place. Everything attaches to that and it makes later customization very easy.
3) I initially flew this as a single deploy with a JollyLogic chute release. It has since been edited to support dual deploy with a different front end. Don't forget a vent hole in the body to where the chute release lives.
4) I glued the tube fins into pairs, and then glued each pair onto the rocket. (When the body tube and fins are the same size, I do two opposite fins and then add pairs, but since these are different sizes, that won't work.). It is much easier to keep everything straight and you can work more quickly if you can do them off the rocket.
5) Think about launch lugs carefully. Because the tubes are reasonably small, you likely have to offset the lugs a bit from the body so the rail doesn't hit the tube. I 3D printed them with a slight rise (1010 guides), but you can also just use a nylon spacer.
6) I built a thrust plate of plywood. Because there aren't through the wall fins, this guarantees that the thrust is transferred to the body tube and minimizes stress on the motor mount. This thing has since gotten beaten up a fair bit (including become the stage 1 of a 2 stage tube fin) and nothing ever breaks.

Attachments

• thumbnail_2019-02-16 16.43.03.jpg
    thumbnail_2019-02-16 16.43.03.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 0
This looks good. I loaded your sim and updated the rail to 8ft. It is safe to fly on all motors that you currently have in the sim off an 8ft rail.

When I was kicking around getting my level 1, a tuber was an option. I spoke to LOC about cutting tube fins from their 4 inch tubing and built a SIM.

This is what I cam up with.

Level 1 Tuber.jpg

1) I found it very useful to make a spreadsheet with all the items going into the rocket weighed and sized. That way you know where the weight is coming from after assembly..
Thank you this is a good idea and it helps
6) I built a thrust plate of plywood. Because there aren't through the wall fins, this guarantees that the thrust is transferred to the body tube and minimizes stress on the motor mount.
I'm not sure what you mean @ghuber . Do you have a picture or can I see it in the sim ?

I'm not sure what you mean @ghuber . Do you have a picture or can I see it in the sim ?
A thrust plate is basically a bulkhead at the back end of the rocket that your motor thrust ring will rest against. The thrust plate transfers the force of the motor out to the body tube in addition to the motor tube (assuming your motor tube is even with the aft end of your body tube) to help absorb the stress. In most rockets with through the wall fins, the force is transferred through the fin tabs. With tube fins, you don't have that fin tab.

Back