This wife needs gift ideas...thanks. :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass Catcher

Reaction score
Hi - I know next-to-nothing about model rockets, but my husband has been building/launching rockets since he was a kid, and it seems like I always get him a rocket kit for his birthday and Christmas (which are 5 days apart and that stinks! haha).

I am wondering if you can suggest rocketry-related gifts other than kits. I was thinking a launch box or something, which would be useful, but not really a "wow!" kind of gift. Help me?!

Thanks. :)

Tools are always helpful. An x-acto knife collection would be appreciated and isn't terribly expensive.

What sort of rockets does he build?

If you can give us an idea of what kind of models he builds, that would help. Sneaking some pictures will suffice; with that, we will know what kind of things he likes, what he has, and we can make some recommendations.

-Kevin

Um...just 'regular' rockets? Not the mammoth ones that need the clearances. He belongs to NAR and the local (well, hour-away) rocket club so goes to their launches every few months.

I'm thinking about what I would like as a gift. You might consider something that is a little hard to get, and is not really made any longer. Don't know your budget, but it would be hard to go wrong if you got him one of the following. They are available, but only on places like amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ODIF3...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5s83llc74b_e

I actually bought one of these a couple of months go, and I got exactly what was advertised: An unopened, perfect kit that was delivered quickly. Just a thought.

Terrible photo alert. Wall art courtesy of the 4-year old.

2013-11-30 15.15.27.jpg

This is not a fair representation of what he has (it's a mess up there?!) but I know he likes these two. They're also the biggest rockets he has. Looks like he's working on building a couple of his own designs that are in between those two sizes. The little red/white/blue one is the rocket he helped the Boy Scouts make this year so I just threw it in so you could see the relative sizes of the other two, not because it's anything he likes in particular.

Thank you so much for all your replies. :)

I am 99.9% sure the Grunt one is the one he says is his favorite.

A small wood lathe is not expensive (the one's that can do pens) and it's a tool that can do other things other than rockets, like pens, salt and pepper sets, etc.

A nice Estes Pro Series II kit isn't terrible for $$$, and he'll have some fun with it.

Last edited:
I think a wife hijacks her husband' s account to find gifts ideas is great . Maybe a gift certificate from one of the kit companys , hardware and motors ,a builder's set for scratch building ( like the Estes) electronics for duel deploy.

A nice Estes Pro Series II kit isn't terrible for $$$, and he'll have some fun with it.

+1. The Nike Smoke in particular is the one I would recommend, as it's a scale model of an actual NASA sounding rocket (a rocket that does not make it into space; mostly used for high altitude experiments and meteorological related things). Estes sells them for $70 something; but they can be found at much lower prices elsewhere.

A Dremel tool set might be good, if he doesn't already have one. A book like Peter Alway's "Rockets of the World" might be fun. There are two books by Mark Canepa. The first one is entitled "Modern High-Powered Rocketry" and the second is "Modern High-Powered Rocketry 2". I think the book "Handbook of Model Rocketry" by G. H. Stine might be good, if he doesn't already have one.

+1. The Nike Smoke in particular is the one I would recommend, as it's a scale model of an actual NASA sounding rocket (a rocket that does not make it into space; mostly used for high altitude experiments and meteorological related things). Estes sells them for $70 something; but they can be found at much lower prices elsewhere.

I bought mine up here in Edmonton for around $55 CDN. Not expensive at all, and big enough to mod to his hearts content.

A wife looking to buy him rockets.... He has everything he needs! ;-) sounds like whatever you get he will be happy. Many great recommendations so far, cant go wrong with any.

Does he want to know how high his rockets go? I suggest a Jolly Logic Altimeter Two. Shameless plug for my local vendor who sells the Jolly Logic Two, Merlin Missile Solutions. A bit pricey, but easy to use and can be used in almost any rocket.

+1 on the Altimeter 2. I'm fairly new returning to rocketry and bought one out of curiosity. It's the coolest little thing that I force into as many flights as I can.

Does he want to know how high his rockets go? I suggest a Jolly Logic Altimeter Two. Shameless plug for my local vendor who sells the Jolly Logic Two, Merlin Missile Solutions. A bit pricey, but easy to use and can be used in almost any rocket.

I think that the altimeter is an excellent idea!

Cheers,
Michael

If your hubby ls starting to build his own rockets you might check these two items out.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/index.php?main_page=product_media_info&cPath=14_39&products_id=492 A book: Model Rocket Design & Conmstruction

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Software/RockSim Rocket CAD Software: RockSim

The book and software go really well together and are made by the same folks. I have all the other books the folks have mentioned above, but this one gives you a lot of usable info in one place. The software has been around over 10 years and has tons of support and documentation.

Jerome :)

If you want to keep it simple look at some rocket T shirts. I think it's called rocket T's and some other company's. "As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist" is one I would love to have. Maybe go on NAR website and get a hat or a shirt or a pin for him. The little things go a long way, doesn't have to be technical. Someone has rocket calenders too, hang them in my office every year.

Heck, if he's anything like me, anything rocketry related is good! If he likes the looks of the Grunt rocket, check out the Estes Der Red Max! Cool rocket, great flier, and there are 3 sizes made my Estes. The Mini, the Der Red, and the Mega. Can't ever go wrong with a solid rocket like this. Check out either www.hobbylink.com or www.acsupplyco.com . Ac Supply is a tad cheaper.

g-train

Hi - I know next-to-nothing about model rockets, but my husband has been building/launching rockets since he was a kid, and it seems like I always get him a rocket kit for his birthday and Christmas (which are 5 days apart and that stinks! haha).

I am wondering if you can suggest rocketry-related gifts other than kits. I was thinking a launch box or something, which would be useful, but not really a "wow!" kind of gift. Help me?!

Thanks. :)
No body pays attention to what she was asking for, something rocketry related but not a kit.
As far as the launch box goes your best bet is to look at fishing tackle boxes, but it needs to be a large one. Take a look at what he normally brings with to a launch as see how much room he needs and then add more he will use it.
Another thing most rocket guys use is a Dremel tool if here doesn't have one he can use one I like the battery powered one I have so I can use it at the field, If you go battery powered make sure to get the Dremel brand with the lithium batteries. Also get some large reinforced cut off wheels for it also.

Now if you do want a kit to WOW him there are many,many,many company's out there that make and sell kits. Including Mine :wink:

The reloadable motor casings are great. I would recomend the aerotech 24/40 case since you said the rockets in the picture are among the largest. The reloads are quite affordable, and don't require extra shipping fees.

I agree with others also that a simple altimeter would be good too.

Link to one vendor of motor cases and reloads: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro91241.htm

If you go with the casing, motor retainers would be a good addition: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est9751.htm

Simple altimeter: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est2246.htm

The reloadable motor casings are great. I would recomend the aerotech 24/40 case since you said the rockets in the picture are among the largest. The reloads are quite affordable, and don't require extra shipping fees.

I agree with others also that a simple altimeter would be good too.

Link to one vendor of motor cases and reloads: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro91241.htm

If you go with the casing, motor retainers would be a good addition: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est9751.htm

Simple altimeter: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est2246.htm

The 24/40 casing is also great, because it will save him money in the long run (after about 6-8 launches, it will pay for itself)

Back