The B14 is back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might make the first few B14 go a little further out. I don't like the chuffs.

the C12/D16 Q-Jets cluster quite well.
Apologies if I've asked this elsewhere, but what do you use to get your clusters started? I've been using dipped MJG black powder starters for larger Q-Jets and 24/40 reloads, but they won't fit through the throats of the smaller ones.

Apologies if I've asked this elsewhere, but what do you use to get your clusters started? I've been using dipped MJG black powder starters for larger Q-Jets and 24/40 reloads, but they won't fit through the throats of the smaller ones.
I've been using the home made starters that I use for 18 mm D grains. Here's one in a Q-Jet B4. I do have a set of pictures on making them.18mm igniter in B4-4 4.jpg

For Q-Jets, I use the included starters. I’ve only clustered the C12/D16. The C18/D20 chuff too much to attempt clusters. For BP, I use MJG BP starters. I’ve done mixed Q-Jet/BP clusters, though occasionally one doesn’t light. Not a problem with 7 motors.

Last edited:
2. The phenolic nozzle. I thought that the demise of the D10 and D21 motors had to do with not being able to source a particular type of 18mm phenolic nozzle for SU motors. They apparently back. Even if I'm wrong - A 18mm SU motor with a phenolic nozzle - how cool is that?
As cool as bringing back the D10 and D21 (with Q-Jet labels I guess)?

Alright, here are my findings for clustering the B14s. I made an effort to do this quickly and simply, so I just used the example cluster rocket in OR (with nose weight optimized for altitude performance in the B14T, cheating a little) and went with the certified curves according to the documents linked on ThrustCurve, and set wind to zero.

The Long: B14Ts, when quad-clustered, give excellent rod exit speed and figures for max acceleration, slightily beating out any other quad-B arrangement and leaving single Ds in the dust. Altitude is middling, even with the optimization. 547ft vs some other altitudes in the 400s, 500s, and 600s. Max velocity is high but beatable by a few D types. Such an arrangement would likely be a showstopper on the low-power pads, even if it's hardly efficient. It would also require some work to ensure reliable ignition, although Blue Thunder isn't known for being stubborn. This isn't too far off what you'd expect, given the known behavior of clusters and high-thrust motors.
OK, now try 2×B14T + 2×B6W (Each pair diagonally opposed to keep the thrust symmetrical.)

NCR Cluster Duck. 6 x 18mm mounts, and a central 24mm mount. Maybe an F32 there?
1712336728817.png

Back