The B14 is back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering...how short the delay could be made. Too short and the delay blows through...but the delay in a QJet must be fairly small in diameter, so the force on it from the combustion chamber would be lower than for motors with a larger diameter delay. So a couple of ifs: IF the force is low enough to make, say, a 2-second delay practical, and IF the ejection charge could be relied upon to ignite an upper-stage BP motor (or replace 4F with 2F BP so there's more likelihood of larger bits of material hitting the nozzle of the upper stage), it might be possible to make something like a B14-2, for boosters or for low flights of heavy rockets.

Possible, maybe. Practical...doubtful. It'd be a very niche product.

EDIT: Never mind. Just looked at a cutaway of a QJet and the delay is the same diameter as the rest of the propellant. Please ignore hypothesis. :)

Wondering...how short the delay could be made. Too short and the delay blows through...but the delay in a QJet must be fairly small in diameter, so the force on it from the combustion chamber would be lower than for motors with a larger diameter delay. So a couple of ifs: IF the force is low enough to make, say, a 2-second delay practical, and IF the ejection charge could be relied upon to ignite an upper-stage BP motor (or replace 4F with 2F BP so there's more likelihood of larger bits of material hitting the nozzle of the upper stage), it might be possible to make something like a B14-2, for boosters or for low flights of heavy rockets.

Possible, maybe. Practical...doubtful. It'd be a very niche product.

EDIT: Never mind. Just looked at a cutaway of a QJet and the delay is the same diameter as the rest of the propellant. Please ignore hypothesis. :)
Not. B14
For reference only..
Screenshot_20240128_070430_Gallery.jpg

Also note why igniter placement matters..read and follow instructions.

Tony

Tony

I'm glad that Aerotech/Quest is coming out with the B14 composite (and I will buy them), but I still wish we could have a B14-0 black powder booster motor.

Mallory Langford (of Estes) did say in the chat that new motors are always in development. It will be interesting to see which ones get commercialized.

Hmm, I'm guessing this new B14 with will be using a ceramic nozzle? If so, I'm anticipating increased incidents of lopsided/asymmetrical erosion of those nozzles like the other "higher powered" 18mm motors causing some pronounced arcing flights. I'm a bit leery of this after multiple experiences.

Hmm, I'm guessing this new B14 with will be using a ceramic nozzle? If so, I'm anticipating increased incidents of lopsided/asymmetrical erosion of those nozzles like the other "higher powered" 18mm motors causing some pronounced arcing flights. I'm a bit leery of this after multiple experiences.

No need to guess. The NARCON PDF says phenolic nozzle.

For those that dont know "INO" is "In Name Only". I agree it is a B14 but its only half of what the original B14 was, but at least it will fill half that niche.
That is a bit harsh. It is not THE B14, but it is A B14 that might create it's own legendary following.

Played in OR a little with the placeholder .eng file that @kjhambrick posted in the AT thread.

It looks like the sweet spot for this is to turn 24mm mid-power rockets into park flyers. It gets reasonably light BT-55 and BT-60 rockets off the rod with exit speed in between C11 and D12, but then only sends them a few hundred feet, like 300-400. Should keep them easily recovered in the field across the street from my house, which is surrounded by trees and water. I'm talking Goblin to BT-60 Alpha range. Smaller stuff, like BT-50 and below, will still fly well to appropriate apogees on cheaper BP motors. This should be fun.

That is a bit harsh. It is not THE B14, but it is A B14 that might create it's own legendary following.

Maybe. I flew a lot of Estes B14s back in the day. I held the perception that it was as good as a C engine, but cheaper. Po' Boy C engine. So I flew a lot of them, and have some nostalgia about that.

As for a new legendary following... skeptical. The hobby is different. The motor is different. I'm different...

BUT I'd say the coolest and most noteworthy things about the New B14 are:

1. Blue Thunder propellant - nothing like a bunch of slowly oxidizing White Lightning to put a damper on your enjoyment of the hobby. Hard to ignite, chuffing SOBs that need gram of copper thermite up the wazoo to light... Injecting some Blue Thunder into the Q-Jet lineup was a great idea!

2. The phenolic nozzle. I thought that the demise of the D10 and D21 motors had to do with not being able to source a particular type of 18mm phenolic nozzle for SU motors. They apparently back. Even if I'm wrong - A 18mm SU motor with a phenolic nozzle - how cool is that?

Back