Featherweight Android app

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarbus

Reaction score
Has anyone had any reliable flights withe the Festherweight Android app?

I had 4 flights yesterday and not one of the had any reliable voice announcements or usable data. On of the flights started announcements as I was picking it up off the ground. Another flight announced the rocket was at 900 ft but I had a chute release set at 300 and it had already opened so clearly wasn't at 900 ft

Has anyone had any reliable flights withe the Festherweight Android app?

I had 4 flights yesterday and not one of the had any reliable voice announcements or usable data. On of the flights started announcements as I was picking it up off the ground. Another flight announced the rocket was at 900 ft but I had a chute release set at 300 and it had already opened so clearly wasn't at 900 ft
When data is being downloaded after the flight, the voice announcements are active as the data is downloaded. I'll work with my developer on reducing the lag time of the voice announcements. We're working on improving the tracker recorded data downloads.

But the tracking worked for you, right?

When data is being downloaded after the flight, the voice announcements are active as the data is downloaded. I'll work with my developer on reducing the lag time of the voice announcements. We're working on improving the tracker recorded data downloads.

But the tracking worked for you, right?
Tracking was OK on two of the flights, one of them must of had a bunch of zero data cause it showed me way off the map and by the 4th flight at lift off and there was no data being produced I put my phone away.

Tracking was OK on two of the flights, one of them must of had a bunch of zero data cause it showed me way off the map and by the 4th flight at lift off and there was no data being produced I put my phone away.

I had a couple flights over last weekend using the new Android app and a relatively new tracker (purchased a few months ago).

- Voice did not work. It announced when the launch was detected, then nothing.
- The direction carrot was all over the place. It just fluttered around in all directions.
- Distance to the rocket was not working properly. It kept telling me the rocket (tracker) was 30,000 feet away when the rocket was on the pad (it was maybe 400 feet away) and it fluctuated between 5000 feet away and 40,000 feet away during the flight (flight went to 2000 feet and landed near the pad). As I was walking up to the rocket, this was the screenshot (I was carrying the GS along with me):

Screenshot_20240407-121042.png

CSV from the flight is also attached below.

How do you get the lat/long from the app if you want to input it into Google Maps?

I do have Apple devices - I was specifically out there on the smaller field to test out the Android app. I had a couple other flights and used an older tracker (2022 model) as well and got the same results.

Attachments

• Fthr_wt_Broken_Arrow_METRA_7APR2024.csv
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I had a couple flights over last weekend using the new Android app and a relatively new tracker (purchased a few months ago).

- The direction carrot was all over the place. It just fluttered around in all directions.
- Distance to the rocket was not working properly. It kept telling me the rocket (tracker) was 30,000 feet away when the rocket was on the pad (it was maybe 400 feet away) and it fluctuated between 5000 feet away and 40,000 feet away during the flight (flight went to 2000 feet and landed near the pad). As I was walking up to the rocket, this was the screenshot (I was carrying the GS along with me):

View attachment 639784

How do you get the lat/long from the app if you want to input it into Google Maps?

I do have Apple devices - I was specifically out there on the smaller field to test out the Android app. I had a couple other flights and used an older tracker (2022 model) as well and got the same results.
Take a look at row 1191 and 1192.

View attachment 639784

Take a look at row 1191 down. The time value locked up. Can you backtrack what you were doing at that time? I've been seeing odd numbers like that and sent then to support and am waiting on a response.

I had my rocket on the pad and it was accurate on the GPS then all of a sudden it drew a line 2000 plus miles away and thought it was there. Since I was only flying a G motor in a heavy rocket I sent it thinking it wouldnj correct itself. Never did but I had visual the whole time

The more I look at the data, it looks to me like there was something wrong with the ground station. You can see the launch start at line 2574, but things were already sideways with the track at that point. Anywhere in the data where the GS Alt is 0 would seem to indicate a time when something was wonky with the GS. If so, in this case, the issue wasn't the phone app, it was something wrong with the hardware. Need to get out there and try it is again and see if my GS is messed up.

What is the TIME format, and how do you sort it low to high? I can't get Excel to sort. The time stamps, sequence of data, and duplicate data has always been a problem for me when downloading, even on the Apple-only UI app. Looks like the problem persists in the Blue Raven app. It is probably hardware.

I did manage to find your flight within the mess of the file. Alt AGL (ft) vs time:

1712766409594.png

There is a new build, 301, that I'm testing today that corrects a lot of problems. It has taken longer than I wanted to get to this point, but based on the iterations I have been doing with my developer over the last few weeks I think you'll find this is a big improvement to reliability. I would dig into all the issues above, but I think they are all about to be OBE.

There is a new build, 301, that I'm testing today that corrects a lot of problems. It has taken longer than I wanted to get to this point, but based on the iterations I have been doing with my developer over the last few weeks I think you'll find this is a big improvement to reliability. I would dig into all the issues above, but I think they are all about to be OBE.

Very cool, thanks Adrian!

I'll add my plug nickel in case the new release doesn't address my issues.

I had 4 flights last weekend with my FW units.

In terms of tracking, Blue Raven was not pointing to the tracker consistently on the pad, so I used iFip as my primary tracking software and checked Blue Raven against it.

On one flight I used iFip to get in visual contact with the rocket on the ground and then switched to Blue Raven. It was pointing about 30 degrees to the left of where the rocket actually was. As I approached the rocket the distance hit close to zero about 30 feet from the rocket and then started getting longer.

On the next flight it did point directly to the rocket. It was a different tracker (my newest, I think), so possibly at a different software level, same ground station (my oldest unit).

Most of the time, the tracker never shows up as connected on the devices screen, but it appears correctly on the tracker screen. Since it doesn't show up as connected I have to guess as to which one is actually turned on since (see below)...

I have tried to rename my trackers to align them with the rockets they are in, but the edited name is not saved not consistently. I actually have two now with the same name which is really confusing and makes knowing which one I am using difficult.

Voice works but it's laggy on launch OK on descent.

Back