New Featherweight GPS phone app available for Android and iOS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried installing both through test flight and the Apple store. I've tried it on an SE and 8, which both worked well with iFIP.
I was able to repeat the problem when I went back to an older iPhone SE running iOS 17.1. I didn’t try uninstalling yet but I upgraded the iOS to 17.3. That didn’t help. I uninstalled it and re-installed and that didn’t help either. When my developer gets back from vacation in a couple of days this will be the top priority. In the meantime it works fine on my iPhone 13 and Android phones.

I was able to repeat the problem when I went back to an older iPhone SE running iOS 17.1. I didn’t try uninstalling yet but I upgraded the iOS to 17.3. That didn’t help. I uninstalled it and re-installed and that didn’t help either. When my developer gets back from vacation in a couple of days this will be the top priority. In the meantime it works fine on my iPhone 13 and Android phones.
Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Build 272 is now available, which fixes the issue of support for older iPhones, fixes the channel scan feature, and allows the Blue Raven ground test video recording to work in landscape mode.
I was able to get the app installed and apparently operational. Thank you for getting to that so quickly. I've been testing on iphone 8 and XR. But....testing in my driveway sometimes it just starts running simulations over and over when it should be waiting for a launch. Other times it will appear to be ready to go, showing satellites and signal strength as iFip did, but if I accidentally touch 'devices' or possibly altimeter, and go back to 'tracker' the display is blank. It shows the fields, but no satelites, no battery condition, or LoRA, nothing, and it doesn't ever come back. In devices it shows the tracker and GS are still connected, but on the tracker screeen there is nothing. Also, the 'connected' text under a device is very hard to see outside.

What is the correct sequence for preparing for a launch? I used to open iFIP, turn on the GS and tracker, and then turn on my electronics, etc, once I see that satelites connecting. With the new UI I sometimes get a message saying the tracker is not present, when it is peresnt and powered on. Most times the tracker screen shows no activity at all, other then the bluetooth icon is white. It rarely looks ready to launch. Also, in the tracker screen sometimes the bluetooth shows RED even though in devices bother show as connected.

Also, if I go to 'edit' a channel or switch to map screen the app crashes.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

I was able to get the app installed and apparently operational. Thank you for getting to that so quickly. I've been testing on iphone 8 and XR. But....testing in my driveway sometimes it just starts running simulations over and over when it should be waiting for a launch.

When it’s downloading recorded data from a previous launch or simulation it can seem like it’s running a new simulation. If the green LED is very active this is what’s going on. When the download is complete it won’t download the same flight again.
Other times it will appear to be ready to go, showing satellites and signal strength as iFip did, but if I accidentally touch 'devices' or possibly altimeter, and go back to 'tracker' the display is blank. It shows the fields, but no satelites, no battery condition, or LoRA, nothing, and it doesn't ever come back. In devices it shows the tracker and GS are still connected, but on the tracker screeen there is nothing.

Try clicking on the tracker you want to watch on the devices screen. It’s possible it’s trying to show you data from a different tracker that isn’t connected.

Also make sure that the ground station and tracker are on the same channel. Edit the GS in the devices screen and select the tracker that you want it connected to.

If you see the GS flashing a red and green LED every second, then the two are communicating with each other.

What is the correct sequence for preparing for a launch? I used to open iFIP, turn on the GS and tracker, and then turn on my electronics, etc, once I see that satelites connecting. With the new UI I sometimes get a message saying the tracker is not present, when it is peresnt and powered on.

That erroneous message is on the to-do list to get fixed.

You should be able to turn them on in any order and they will just work.
Also, if I go to 'edit' a channel or switch to map screen the app crashes.

That hasn’t been happening in my testing, and may be caused by some further compatibility issues with older phones. Tomorrow I’ll try to reproduce this.
Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.
I appreciate the feedback. I spend a large part of my time testing these builds and working with my developer to find and fix issues like these. But we can’t test every combination of every feature on every phone model, so I thank you for bringing the issues to my attention.

A more direct way is to email [email protected], which is the address that will get my attention the fastest.

Adrian --

Should we receive a Firebase App Distribution notification for the version 272 update ?

Thanks !

-- kjh
Thanks for reminding me to make the new build available for Android. I have most recently been testing build 173, which has improvements to the mapping screen and channel scanning.

Well, it took more than a day or two, but a major new app update is available now. Once of the biggest improvements is in the live mapping area. The tracker and GS positions are now plotted live, and each of them can have their lat/lon coordinates copied by clicking on the interest point icon.
The map function works great! My wife enjoyed watching me on the app at home while I went to the grocery store with the tracker in my pocket.

Question, the voice function doesn't seem to work yet. Is it user error on my part, or is that function just not working yet on the android version?

I just got done testing a new and much improved Android version, 1.09 (build 309). I have pushed it to FireBase and I'm working on updating the version on Google Play.

Bugs fixed:
-Corrected tracker recorded data download
-Tracker altitudes now in altitude above ground (AGL)
-Improved maps view
-Improved voice telemetry
-More reliable connection and automatic download when using multiple devices
-Improved response to power failure during Blue Raven over-the-air (OTA) update
New features:
-Define a geofence for the pad area and prep area to provide better status of other rockets in the channel list (in work)
-Initial Lost Rocket interface (in work)
Known issues:
-Voice telemetry lags somewhat during descent
-Some altitude offset (~100 feet) between ground station estimate and tracker estimate. Does not affect recorded data

I loaded the Android app as soon as the email was out thismorning. I loaded some older flights and it did fix the mapping issue that was driving me bonkers.

No flights yet but will be flying in 2 weeks

Back