TARC questions please HELP!!!!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landshark45

Reaction score
I have been dieing to put together a Team america team for a long time. How do I go about this? How do we raise money for the team ? Thats just a couple questions I have. Any and all answers or sugestions would be great
Thanks.

I am very :confused::confused::confused:

Do you have an teacher or other adult sponsor? They can help you get organized.Next years Tarc goal will be announced soon on www.rocketcontest.org this site also has a list of mentors near you and other helpful information. I hope you can find some others and HAVE FUN!

My school's team faced this problem. What me and my friend did (we were the ones that wanted a TARC team in the first place) was we went up to the principal for permission and then a teacher that we thought would be willing to supervise us and asked her. She was willing so then we started to gather some team member together and that is how our team was made. For money...well we need some good ideas for next year. Our team was in serious debt for a while, more than 400 dollars, and the team had to pay back the debt in small amounts over a long period of time. In fact, some people are still in debt.:cry:

Do you have to pay for travel if you make it or does the TARC org supply transportation? How many rockets did you guy have to build and test? When, ho and where did you test fly? As you can tell I have no clue what to do.:D

Do you have to pay for travel if you make it or does the TARC org supply transportation? How many rockets did you guy have to build and test? When, ho and where did you test fly? As you can tell I have no clue what to do.:D

Some of these things are covered here https://www.rocketcontest.org/faqs.cfm

You must pay all costs - and it can get expensive. This can reflect on your design, such as black powder motors are cheaper than composite. if your school or sponsoring group doesn't pick up the bill (which they probably won't) you must figure out a way to raise funds

You should build a minimum of 2 rockets because you will probably have at least one crash, one team I worked with built 4. That team made over 80 test flights, I'm sure the average group makes less, but the more you test the better. As to where to fly this is where and adult mentor can help, hopefully your school has athletic practice fields you can use but you must work this out with the school.

I have been dieing to put together a Team america team for a long time. How do I go about this? How do we raise money for the team ? Thats just a couple questions I have. Any and all answers or sugestions would be great

LS,

I am a high school teacher who sponsored three TARC teams this year, one of which placed #32 in the nation during this year's finals, so perhaps I can help you out a little bit from the teacher's point of view.

First, go to the TARC web site: https://www.rocketcontest.org/ and start looking around. You'll find some writeups about the contest, including:

(1) The 2007-2008 Rules: https://www.rocketcontest.org/pdf/2008_rules.pdf

(2) The 2007-2008 Application: https://www.rocketcontest.org/pdf/application_2008.pdf

(3) The Mentors List: https://www.rocketcontest.org/pdf/mentors.pdf and

(4) The Team Handbook: https://www.rocketcontest.org/pdf/handbook_2008.pdf

Once you've read those, you'll have the answers to a lot of your questions, questions you don't even know you have, yet.

But, to get you started... after you have downloaded those documents and printed them out, put them in a loose-leaf binder. You're going to need them to convince three people that you know what you're talking about:
(a) your principal, who's going to have to approve of this activity. You're going to be representing your school, officially, and doing so with materials that could be considered hazardous. You need his/her help in this!
(b) a teacher or school staff member that will sponsor you. The sponsor plays a very important role in the TARC contest - he/she is the official liaison between you and the contest sponsors AND you and your parents in matters of the contest. It's best if you find a teacher that's into rocketry, as I was before I started sponsoring the teams at my school, but that's not absolutely necessary since you're going to involve a third person. Ask your science or technology teachers, if you don't already have someone in mind.
(c) a NAR mentor. The NAR mentor is usually a member of your local rocketry club who's willing, usually, to do anything from coming out each week to meet with you and your team members to teach you everything you need to know about rocketry in order to come up with a good design, to being there when you fly your qualification flights. In fact, you HAVE TO have two senior (over 18) NAR members as observers during the qualification flight. So, if you have a local club and someone there who wants to work with the TARC teams, you're good to go.

Once you've got all three of those folks on board, and have been recruiting other members of the team (you must have at least three members to register, and no more than 15 members per team). At our school, we had enough kids interested that we put together three teams... one, an all-girls team (they're the ones who went to the finals!) and two all-boys teams, one was called The Varsity - they had a couple of guys who were already rocket fliers - and the other was our Junior Varsity - guys who hadn't done this before. Al told, we had 15 people split between the three teams.

Registration begins right after Labor Day and, if it hasn't changed, costs $90 per team. You have to pay that up front, so begin thinking about coming up with some money soon. Last year, I paid the registration out of my pocket. This year, the teams members will have to cough it up in order to play.

We were very lucky that a couple of our parents provided the funding for all three teams through their businesses. We wound up spending about $1200 for all three teams to build and fly their rockets through the qualification flight, and for the girls to build a backup and fly quite a few orientation flights prior to the finals.

Most other teams I talked with spent anywhere from $350-$600 per team building rockets, flying them (F and G motors start getting expensive at $15 a flight!). And, at the finals, an informal survey showed that teams that got into the finals usually flew their rockets 10-15 times to get the consistency they needed. There were exceptions, of course, so your mileage may vary. I think we wound up building a total of 8 rockets and flew a total of 25-30 flights, so that might give you an idea of what's going to be in your future.

The finals are held in Manassas, Virginia, in the middle of May. The contest is on a Saturday, with Sunday being the back-up in case of rain. You would need to provide transportation for you and your rockets/motors (you can't take motors or igniters on the plane with you so they have to be shipped) and a couple of days in the motel. Again, we lucked out this year in that our school provided the complete funding for our team, plus me and a chaperon, to fly to Washington DC and compete, and have a little bit of civics lessons time in the Baltimore/Washington area. But, it's something that you need to plan on, since the whole idea is to get to the finals where you have a chance at the money, scholarships, and, oh yeah.. the winning team has an invite to either the Paris Air Show or the Farnsborough Air Show - the winner this year, a team from NC, is headed to England for the show this month.

That should get you started - be SURE AND TALK WITH YOUR PRINCIPAL as soon as possible. You gotta have his/her help, especially if you don't already have a teacher to sponsor you.

As always, when you have questions...... feel free to ask.

Good luck, and hope to see you in Virginia next May!

Thank you so much! You basically just listed everything I needed to know. I'll start recruiting this summer and talk to my new principal ( I'm just starting high school) when high school starts. If I had done this last year I knew a teacher that would do it but I will have to talk to my new teacher when school starts. I think my dad would be willing to be the mentor, he's nar L1.

... I'll start recruiting this summer and talk to my new principal ( I'm just starting high school) when high school starts. If I had done this last year I knew a teacher that would do it but I will have to talk to my new teacher when school starts. I think my dad would be willing to be the mentor, he's nar L1.

Well, just a thought, LS... you might give the school a call and see if the principal is in so you can talk with him/her over the summer, when there's usually a bit more time for you to spend with them. Believe it or not, right before school starts and the first few weeks of school are not the time you want to approach the principal with anything new! :) They've usually got their hands full as it is. And, since your dad is into rocketry as well (that's a great idea to ask him to mentor your team, by the way) perhaps he could go with you when you visit with the principal to answer any of those pesky adult-type questions that principals usually have (like - are they gonna kill themselves with this? Or blow up the cafeteria?) :rotflol:

Lemme know if I can help - my school email is: [email protected] and feel free to pass that along to your principal or your sponsor as well.

Back