SpaceShipTwo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gluing the Base Fin

Cut the body tube and started gluing the base fin.

Most people would have settled for laying the tube on top of the flat panel. Once again, your craftsmanship is most impressive.

Rear eject is clearly a good idea, to keep those long cantilever fins from hitting the ground first. But it seems like those same fins present a potential hazard to rear ejection, with the likelihood of the 'chute snagging on them. Do you have a plan for that?

Most people would have settled for laying the tube on top of the flat panel. Once again, your craftsmanship is most impressive.

Rear eject is clearly a good idea, to keep those long cantilever fins from hitting the ground first. But it seems like those same fins present a potential hazard to rear ejection, with the likelihood of the 'chute snagging on them. Do you have a plan for that?
They are spaced out far enough that it should not be an issue.

Wing Glue Fillets

I went ahead and attached all 4 fins at the root. That way I can do all the fillets, wings and fins, at one time.

001.JPG

Last edited:
Nose Cone Ballast

I used a 1" dia stud x 4-1/4" long and a 3/16" eye bolt. These were glued into the nose cone.

002.JPG 003.JPG

Nose Cone Gluing To Fuselage

I first used Titebond Quick and Thick around the front of the shoulder and inserted the nose cone into the tube. I then applied Gorilla Wood Glue to the shoulder inside the tube.

001.JPG 002.JPG

Recovery Spool - Day 01

Started building the Recovery Spool. The stuffer tube centering rings where glued into the 29mm motor tube. The Fuselage was used as an alignment fixture, I used a cardboard ring as a centering device to hold the parts in alignment while the stuffer tube centering rings dry.

Side View.jpg001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Lakeroadster works in mysterious ways.

It looks from the OR picture like you will have like a centering ring out at the front of the stuffer tube, as one would expect. And I assume that the piece of corrugated cardboard you're showing above is that going to be that centering ring*. So why make a cardboard fake CR as a fixture for this step when you could use the real one?

Actually, I've discovered during a previous build that you can laminate two pieces of that stuff with the corrugations perpendicular, like plywood, and get something surprisingly strong and stiff. But you have a single piece there.

Lakeroadster works in mysterious ways.

It looks from the OR picture like you will have like a centering ring out at the front of the stuffer tube, as one would expect. And I assume that the piece of corrugated cardboard you're showing above is that going to be that centering ring*. So why make a cardboard fake CR as a fixture for this step when you could use the real one?

Actually, I've discovered during a previous build that you can laminate two pieces of that stuff with the corrugations perpendicular, like plywood, and get something surprisingly strong and stiff. But you have a single piece there.

Cardboard gives me a chance to install and use the ring as a fixture.

The actual ring will be made from basswood and will have a relief for the lower wing, as well as a notch for the lifting eye. Once the assembly is dry I'll finalize the design of the actual ring.

It's a scratch build / scratch design, not a "kit", all the parts aren't available in a bag. I make the parts as I go. Nothing mysterious about that.

Last edited:
Back