Sirius Saturn V - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't wait to see your flight pictures!!

you did an awesome job with this build...I went over to the Sirius web site...this rocket is really a fantastic, museum quality model (well done Sirius!!!) but you really took the time to do it right and you made her turn out great! Its a shame you can't make a Saturn 1b to go with her! (was always my favorite rocket...)

whenever I look at the Saturn V....just makes you shake your head that we were able to design, fabricate, test and fly this beast in the time period that they did...I mean..its incredible...little details like just how do we get the thing to the launch pad...lets make a crawler transporter that can lift up 18,000,000 pounds, balance it perfectly so that the tip of the LES never moved more than the width of a basketball, and drive it 5 miles to a launch pad....and the rocket flew on time on every flight. (Apollo 17 had ground equipment fail...) to top it off...the darn thing just looks cool too!

thanks again for sharing the build with us!!

Thanks Rick.

T-14 Days to launch...

Thanks again Rick. :cheers:

I really enjoyed the build, and I honestly think doing the thread made the build more enjoyable. I am very glad it has been well received, and honored and humbled by so many really nice compliments. Thank you to all who have followed along.

The Saturn V has always been my favorite rocket. It's visually striking. But the story behind it is one of awe.

On May 5, 1961, Alan Shepard, Jr. blasted off in his Freedom 7 capsule atop a Mercury-Redstone rocket for a 15-minute sub-orbital flight becoming the first American in space. Less than 3 weeks later,... on May 25, 1961,... JFK announced we are going to the moon within the decade.

The Saturn V is a machine of incomprehensible power, capability, and courage. It is America.

I really enjoyed the build, and I honestly think doing the thread made the build more enjoyable. I am very glad it has been well received, and honored and humbled by so many really nice compliments. Thank you to all who have followed along.

The Saturn V has always been my favorite rocket. It's visually striking. But the story behind it is one of awe.

On May 5, 1961, Alan Shepard, Jr. blasted off in his Freedom 7 capsule atop a Mercury-Redstone rocket for a 15-minute sub-orbital flight becoming the first American in space. Less than 3 weeks later,... on May 25, 1961,... JFK announced we are going to the moon within the decade.

The Saturn V is a machine of incomprehensible power, capability, and courage. It is America.

Hear hear!

I could not have summarized it any better!

a few years back I took my family down to sunny Florida to visit family and I took my son and my nephew to the Cape..I think they were both about 10 or so. We went to the Saturn V museum and when the doors open and you walk into the room with that Saturn V perfectly restored...it's overwhelming. I kept thinking that somebody conceived this....I kept thinking of the organizational effort to not only produce that thing, but to get it to lift vertically just one inch off the pad. What is it, over 6 million parts? All of which are built by a human hand with that person not only thinking, but knowing that making this part or assembly will be THE most important thing I will do in my lifetime. I manage some people at my job...and getting 7 or 8 people to all grab the same rope and pull on it in the same direction at the same time is difficult....imagine getting 450,000 people to do that?? And to instill in each of them that kind of motivation??...I mean..I felt as if I was standing in the presence of genius. The Saturn V is a masterpiece...a masterpiece of both engineering and organizational genius.

Got a delivery from Wildman today...

X-118.jpg

I already have the Saturn V's J335 Red Lightening in hand,... but got a variety of motors for other Rockets to fly at the same launch. I got a nice selection of I-Motors to put in the X-Plane and Patriot.

T-11 Days...

You must be getting excited!

Yes. The first hint of nervousness has arrived. I re-ran the sims this morning,... and filled out my level 2 certification form.

Have run the sims for the other rockets I plan to fly that day with engine choices (planned motor bolded):
Maiden flight of the X-Plane ( I-223 Skid / I-287 Smokey / I-180 Skid / I-212 Smokey / I-345 WT)
PML Patriot (I-180 Skid / I-212 Smokey)
LOC V2 (G126WT / G106 Skid / G131 SS)

I'm going to prep the Sat V Thurseday. Double check recovery. Pack chutes etc.

Well, I had some time... (and I really didn't want to power wash the pool deck...),... so I prepped the rocket this morning. I rigged the 3 point harness for the nose section... (this elevates the nose to protect the LES).

I also drilled the vent holes (2) to the payload bay. I tucked them behind the S-IVB ullage motors. They're really well hidden. Very pleased.

SV532.jpg

She's ready to go...

Assemble and insert the motor... Turn on the altimeter... That's it.

T-5 days...

"Studying" for my Level 2 test today.

Launch Status: All systems go.

T-2 days.

I'm with ya, brother. I've been studying too. Are you NAR or TRA?

I'm both NAR and Tripoli, but Tripoli for HPR Certs. I submitted my papers to NAR,... so I'm also NAR Level 1 via reciprocity.

My local field is NAR but mostly G limited (we / they just received approval for limited H motor flights during certain times.)
Tripoli is 90 minutes away, but w/o motor limits and a 15K ceiling.

The study quide is pretty simple. got 100% on my 3rd repeat. I'll repeat again tomorrow until I get 100% (hopefully 1st shot...),... and then again Sat AM.

Based on your level 1,... I assume you are going NAR? When are you taking the test?

I'm both NAR and Tripoli, but Tripoli for HPR Certs. I submitted my papers to NAR,... so I'm also NAR Level 1 via reciprocity.

My local field is NAR but mostly G limited (we / they just received approval for limited H motor flights during certain times.)
Tripoli is 90 minutes away, but w/o motor limits and a 15K ceiling.

The study quide is pretty simple. got 100% on my 3rd repeat. I'll repeat again tomorrow until I get 100% (hopefully 1st shot...),... and then again Sat AM.

Based on your level 1,... I assume you are going NAR? When are you taking the test?

Yeah, I'm NAR only. One of the clubs I fly with, LUNAR, is NAR and they have the highest ceiling. The other club, SARG, is both NAR and Tripoli. I'll be taking the test on the 10th at the SARG launch, if they don't cancel.

The rocket gods are with you... It has been windy as hell the past week. This weekend is forecasted to be nice and calm!

Good Luck with the L2!

Thanks. I'm glad it's been pretty dry for a week. I'll tolerate a gentle breeze,... but I'm going to check the landing site first. I really don't want it to land in mud.

Based on my home,... I'm pretty confident the site will have dried out by saturday.

Good luck to you Simon and to you Jim. If ya'lls tests go as good as your builds, you guys will both pass with flying colors!

Good luck to you Simon and to you Jim. If ya'lls tests go as good as your builds, you guys will both pass with flying colors!

Thanks Bill. I'm not worried about the test... But I'm sure I'll have more than a few butterflies as she is sitting on the rail with the igniter installed...

T- 1 day + 17 hours...

Thanks Bill. I'm not worried about the test... But I'm sure I'll have more than a few butterflies as she is sitting on the rail with the igniter installed...

T- 1 day + 17 hours...

I'd be a nervous wreck!

I doubt that Jim. You build some beautiful Rockets and don't seem to have a problem flying them!

T-18 hours...

I've built some fairly good looking rockets, but none of them are museum pieces. Mine aren't in the same league as your Saturn V. I'm not even T-Ball League compared to your obvious Major League!

You are too modest.

The van is loaded. 4 Rockets going...

LOC 4" V2
PML Patriot
X-Plane
and the Saturn V

Weather looks perfect.

Wish me luck.

T-5 hours...

You are too modest.

The van is loaded. 4 Rockets going...

LOC 4" V2
PML Patriot
X-Plane
and the Saturn V

Weather looks perfect.

Wish me luck.

T-5 hours...

I am soooo jealous! They cancelled our launch today. :sad:

I hope you have a GREAT day!

Good luck! It turns out that I won't be attending the event that conflicted with the launch down there, but that's only because I'm sick. Maybe next month. :sigh:
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

Just got back...

SUCCESS!

Beautiful flight. No damage. Passed my level 2! Very memorable.

My launch photos looked pretty bad in the field,... but do have 2 video's as well. I'll try to get it all up tonight.

(I've never posted a video though... Anything I need to know).

Also flew the V2 and the X-Plane... others got great shots of those that I am hoping will be e-mailed.

Congratulations on the Level 2! Can't wait to see the photos and video!

Latest posts

Back