Should I be concerned about this engine order being lost?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't ever put a fragile sticker on a box! I had a package out for delivery 3 times. Each time they sent it back to St. Paul instead of delivering it to me. I took all the tracking info each time they did it. The person at the counter just said "I don't know why". Never did get it. Ordered from Camofire in UT. Never came, when I did inquire about it, I was told "they lost the truck somewhere between UT and MN". Never did get that one either. But the best has to be I mailed my paperwork at a fake Post Office. I was in KY, mailed it from Holland, KY, on a Saturday. Dropped it in the Blue USPS mail box outside the door. Looked like a normal PO to me. Had all the correct signs, had the hours lobby was open on the door. 2 weeks later paperwork did not arrive. Went to my local PO and asked if they could help. After several phone calls they were told that that PO was no longer open. Didn't say that on the door!!! Then they were told that the PO in Scottsville, KY now serviced that sight, but only once a week. Would"ve been nice to have had a sign up that said that.
Another update.

An hour or two ago, my phone rang. The house phone, my landline. It's is usually spammers but looking at the phone number, which had an area code I didn't recognize but with an actual name that didn't look spammy, I picked up. I was ready to just hang up quickly, because I've found it isn't worth it to engage spam calls.

But it was actually a guy from Belleville, one of the nicest guys you will ever talk to on the phone. He had gotten my email about the postal charges and told me I would be getting a refund check in the mail (yes, we made the obligatory jokes about whether or not the check would make the rounds down to Memphis first). He was very apologetic about the delays, we talked about the postal delays that are happening due to high volume, and also that periodically they have to do cleanings due to contamination, and generally the works are gummed up. I'm not sure how much I'll be getting back but will appreciate whatever it is.

The good news is that he said the stay at home orders have been a boon to their business: orders of hobby supplies are way up.

I'm considering the incident resolved with a favorable note to Belleville. They shipped my order within a business day and responded within hours both times I emailed them. The order was appropriately packaged and arrived safely despite USPS delays outside Belleville's control. My concern about postage overcharging is resolved.

These guys get the Marc_G "Good Egg" certification. I recommend them (as long as you don't need your stuff in a hurry).
[/QUOTE
If the item your shipping needs to have a sticker indicating you to handle with care, then it is up to the shipper to pack that item good enough for transit.
That is why UPS doesn’t use “Fragile” stickers. Because if you have a parcel packed by UPS(not the UPS Store) they make sure it is packed well enough to make it to its destination. That goes for fed ex also. Fed ex can ship a carton of eggs across the country and not one will be broke. ****If they pack it for you****

I skimmed and skipped to the end but there's a form you can fill out on USPS website for lost / unmoving packages. We've had to use it a few times recently, but things did turn up pretty quickly afterwards.
https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm
Belleville hobby and ac supply both drive me nuts I'm a short drive from both but they only ship, no pick up allowed (that's from pre Covid)

The package arrived safely Wednesday. The tracking was interesting, with it arriving and leaving the same local site several times (Indianapolis) before eventually making it to my suburban PO for delivery. The box must have had an interesting trip, as it was splashed in ink of some sort along the way:

1619790567732.png

Two sides of the box got splashed. It's an oily messy ink/paint/whatever. As though the box were on the ground, and something ran over a container full of the black liquid, and the box got splashed at a 2/3 profile. Oh well. We'll never know what stories the box could have told.

But I've got my engines and that's what counts.

Did the ink get on any of the bar codes? That may have given the automated sorting system fits.

Back