• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Estes A8-3 and/or A10-3T Engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
I placed an order for Estes A8-3 and A10-3T engines about a month ago, but apparently they're still delayed or lost in transit. I'm working on a project where I need these engines before the end of this month. I can place an order with Amazon and get them in a few days (at least that's what happened the first time I ordered engines through Amazon.com), but their prices are sky high.

There are cheaper commercial sellers, but unless I pay a Hazmat fee, it could easily take a few weeks for these engines to arrive. The original seller of the engines I ordered offered to send me engines via UPS/FedEx and they will eat the Hazmat fee so I just pay regular shipping and the cost of the engines. But if I took them up on their offer, they'd lose money on the sale and that's not fair to them b/c it's not their fault the engines are delayed or lost.

So before I place an order with Amazon, I'm wondering if there are any local private sellers (I'm in Western KY, near the Illinois and TN borders) that might have any of these Estes engines for sale for a modest price (maybe $1-$2 an engine).

I know this is a longshot, both due to the requirement that any transaction would need to occur in person and the price I'm willing to pay per engine. But I know many hardcore and long-term rocketry hobbyists have an unusually large collection of certain engines, like the A8-3, that they don't really fly that much and are just sitting around with little hope for flight.

At a bare minimum, I'm looking to purchase 3 engines of each type. But I'd prefer to buy a few more of each, depending on the price.

Thanks for looking!

I placed an order for Estes A8-3 and A10-3T engines about a month ago, but apparently they're still delayed or lost in transit. I'm working on a project where I need these engines before the end of this month. I can place an order with Amazon and get them in a few days (at least that's what happened the first time I ordered engines through Amazon.com), but their prices are sky high.

There are cheaper commercial sellers, but unless I pay a Hazmat fee, it could easily take a few weeks for these engines to arrive. The original seller of the engines I ordered offered to send me engines via UPS/FedEx and they will eat the Hazmat fee so I just pay regular shipping and the cost of the engines. But if I took them up on their offer, they'd lose money on the sale and that's not fair to them b/c it's not their fault the engines are delayed or lost.

So before I place an order with Amazon, I'm wondering if there are any local private sellers (I'm in Western KY, near the Illinois and TN borders) that might have any of these Estes engines for sale for a modest price (maybe $1-$2 an engine).

I know this is a longshot, both due to the requirement that any transaction would need to occur in person and the price I'm willing to pay per engine. But I know many hardcore and long-term rocketry hobbyists have an unusually large collection of certain engines, like the A8-3, that they don't really fly that much and are just sitting around with little hope for flight.

At a bare minimum, I'm looking to purchase 3 engines of each type. But I'd prefer to buy a few more of each, depending on the price.

Thanks for looking!
Hobby Lobby in Owensboro or Evansville ?

There are sellers on eBay that do not care about the regulations and I have noticed engines with free 4 day shipping on the listing.
I am authorized to ship them through the US mail and the best guarantee I could give you would be up to nine days. But I'm not sure if I have the specific sizes you are wanting I will have to check.
I can say that AC Supply does a good job at shipping them quickly you might consider ordering from them and if you purchase more than $100 you get free shipping as long as your motor stay below the Hazmat size requirement

I should mention that I live in the same state as AC Supply only about an hour away but it still takes them several days to get to me.

I would think that if these engines are as high priority as you make them out to be, Shopping at Hobby Lobby should be worth swallowing your pride and preference. If it comes down to it, do you buy at Hobby Lobby, or let the event pass without participation?
We all have to do things we don't want or like to do from time to time. This might be one of those times for you.
But I do wish that you succeed and have fun and successful day at the launch!!!

erockets.biz (Semroc) out of Dayton(?) Ohio or SiriusRocketry.com might be good sources - not sure how fast they are shipping.

The more orders you buy from Apogee Components (Colorado), the higher your customer "status" is and as a result you get priority on getting things sooner. The last batch of 4 packs (4 each pack) Estes 1/4A3-3T's I had recently ordered arrived within the week by USPS Ground shipping to where I live in Western Oregon.

If I can't get anything from my local Hobby Shop, I try to buy from rocketry-specific businesses when I can. Just my 2-cents.

I went ahead and ordered from Amazon.com. Still willing to buy from a local individual seller if anyone is so inclined...

Great suggestion. Hmmm, there's one in Paducah, too. But I refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby.
And you refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby why? I LOVE their prices, and, despite limited selection, they nearly always have something I wish to use (Estes D and E BP engines, Estes Cherokee E kits (I modify some to 29mm MMT), LPR kits/engines for gifts to kids, etc.), besides also having paints, tapes, etc. for finishing or modifying a build. Generally speaking, they are a real feel-good store, too.

erockets.biz (Semroc) out of Dayton(?) Ohio or SiriusRocketry.com might be good sources - not sure how fast they are shipping.

The more orders you buy from Apogee Components (Colorado), the higher your customer "status" is and as a result you get priority on getting things sooner. The last batch of 4 packs (4 each pack) Estes 1/4A3-3T's I had recently ordered arrived within the week by USPS Ground shipping to where I live in Western Oregon.

If I can't get anything from my local Hobby Shop, I try to buy from rocketry-specific businesses when I can. Just my 2-cents.

And you refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby why? I LOVE their prices, and, despite limited selection, they nearly always have something I wish to use (Estes D and E BP engines, Estes Cherokee E kits (I modify some to 29mm MMT), LPR kits/engines for gifts to kids, etc.), besides also having paints, tapes, etc. for finishing or modifying a build. Generally speaking, they are a real feel-good store, too.

I have my reasons; no need to hijack my own thread.

Fair enough, and no hijacking intended.
Hobby Lobby notwithstanding, I do otherwise generally agree with Paul Howard re. supporting rocketry-specific businesses, and, with the exception of Hobby Lobby and a couple of local hobby stores, I patronize and can highly recommend Sirius Rocketry, both for very good prices as well as outstanding service (be aware Dave has gone to a four-day week, so Fridays are off the table). Hope you are able to find what you need, in the time frame you wish!

Fair enough, and no hijacking intended.
Hobby Lobby notwithstanding, I do otherwise generally agree with Paul Howard re. supporting rocketry-specific businesses, and, with the exception of Hobby Lobby and a couple of local hobby stores, I patronize and can highly recommend Sirius Rocketry, both for very good prices as well as outstanding service (be aware Dave has gone to a four-day week, so Fridays are off the table). Hope you are able to find what you need, in the time frame you wish!

I'm always for supporting my local LHS, but only if they have what I need and their prices are somewhat within the ballpark of what I could pay for something online. But alas, the only ones I know of are about an hour or 2 away and won't have the model rocket stuff I need (they will mostly have R/C stuff).

I recently placed an order from Wildman that included some non-hazmat motors. Shipped to Indiana from Illinois took 4 days and they shipped the next day after I placed my order. In the past, orders which didn't include motors arrived the day after they were shipped. I've also had shipments arrive quick from CS Rocketry and E-Rockets. Something about the UPS routes makes Wildman the quickest even though E-Rockets is physically closer to me.

It might take a few orders from different vendors, but you could find which shipping routes are the most predictable where you live. I try to buy when shops have sales and eventually you'll build up a large enough collection of motors and supplies that you won't be crossing your fingers that you'll have the right things for an event. Especially with LPR, it's nice to be able to run to the park and launch a few rockets when the weather is good.

Place an order with AC Supply. I've always had very fast shipping. They now also have very good prices on Quest. Stock up on a bunch of motors to get free shipping, or only what you think you need and the problem is solved for $10 freight. If nothing else, it will be a placeholder/backup solution to run in the background while you work on something more difficult.

Why is that ? Hobby Lobby is a great resource for Rocketeers !

Let's just say that there are those of us who strongly disagree with certain behaviors that the people behind Hobby Lobby espouse and exhibit.

Anything beyond that is venturing into an area that's not a great discussion topic for this forum.

-Kevin

Back