Scissor Wing Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcapo

Reaction score
Of all the Estes kits ever made, this rocket design was my favorite. As a kid I built several and they always worked flawlessly for me. I'd love to build one again after all these years. I heard there was a reissue, but can't seem to find the kit online. Occasionally one old kit pops up on Ebay but I hate paying hundreds. Should I just build one from scratch based on plans? Has anyone ever built one of these at a larger scale? What would be your advice?

Of all the Estes kits ever made, this rocket design was my favorite. As a kid I built several and they always worked flawlessly for me. I'd love to build one again after all these years. I heard there was a reissue, but can't seem to find the kit online. Occasionally one old kit pops up on Ebay but I hate paying hundreds. Should I just build one from scratch based on plans? Has anyone ever built one of these at a larger scale? What would be your advice?

I too love that rocket. I have built a couple from scratch. and MOST have worked out Good. Honestly better that my Reissued one with the plastic hinge.

If you decide to build one. I can hook you up with decals for it!! good luck!!

Yes, scratch built of the original is the way to go. See the plans and templates of the original here: https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1265.pdf
Get a balsa cone form Carl at Semroc or Bill at Balsa Machining Service.

The re-issue kit uses a plastic nose cone that makes it hard to balance for glide. The wing pivot on the re-issue is more fragile than the original plywood model.

I have built SWTs in 13mm, 18mm, 24mm and 29mm.

I just paid $20 for one from a vendor in November of last year. Post a wanted ad over in the "Yard Sale" forum. I know there are members here with multiple SWT's still in the bag. Maybe one of them will make an offer you can't refuse.

I just paid $20 for one from a vendor in November of last year. Post a wanted ad over in the "Yard Sale" forum. I know there are members here with multiple SWT's still in the bag. Maybe one of them will make an offer you can't refuse.

I just picked up a reissue for $30 from Amazon.
I've heard of balance problems with the reissue other places too.
At any rate maybe it's a good place to start.

I remember the original worked perfectly for me. I would typically set the glider so it made these huge lazy circles coming down. Hopefully this plastic hinge business isn't to awful.

The original flew perfectly for me with no trimming - I didn't know about trimming at the time!

The original flew perfectly for me with no trimming - I didn't know about trimming at the time!

The new ones apparently need ballast in the tail...which surprises me becauce the old ones needed more in front.

Back