Scissor Wing transport from Arkansas [Semroc/Apogee]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
Well, it is supposed to rain this weekend. So, let's start another build thread... :angiefavorite:

This is Semroc's version of the old Scissor Wing Transport from Estes. This is a non-RC model, also known as "free flight".

m_IMG_2892small.jpg

Thanks for the link. I have looked at that thread some.

Instructions seem to be pretty clear. There is also a parts list and wraps.

m_IMG_2894small.jpg

m_IMG_2893small.jpg

I wasn't saying it was difficult or beyond your abilities, but the kit has some flaws that are dealt with in that thread.

I wish I would have readbrhat thread before I started. Particularly the parts about the wing ovwr-rotation and the dowel on the pod.

Have fun with the build! I'm having a blast deplspite the issues with the kit.

Maidened mine a few weeks ago. Despite careful and multiple hand-trimming sessions to get a decent glide, it was still extremely nose-heavy so it put in a really short-duration flight. I'd advise trimming it so that it glides with a slightly nose-up posture. Enjoy yours, it's really an attention-getter and impressive-looking flier once you get it sorted out.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking in, guys. More work on the Motor Pod.

Attached with 5-minute epoxy. Had to do a fair mount of work with small files to get the fit right on the support ribs.

The laser cutting is pretty good, though the fins seemed rather fragile.

m_IMG_2900small.jpg

m_IMG_2901small.jpg

m_IMG_2902small.jpg

There is a strange item that inserts into the back of the Body Tube, that helps to set the back of the horizontal stabilizer.

m_IMG_2905small.jpg

m_IMG_2911small.jpg

m_IMG_2910small.jpg

Hope you haven't glued it to the BT yet, it's one of the defective units (the holes should be aligned directly across each other and even.). Contact Randy and he'll send you a correct unit (see @kuririn's post #7).
Thanks for your persistence. I have not glued the Swivel Stand, and I will contact eRockets. I read Kuririn's post wrong: the pic is the CORRECT part.

Though I wonder if all I need to do is flip the Swivel Stand over, with the "X" on the other side.

Thanks for your persistence. I have not glued the Swivel Stand, and I will contact eRockets. I read Kuririn's post wrong: the pic is the CORRECT part.

Though I wonder if all I need to do is flip the Swivel Stand over, with the "X" on the other side.

See post #63 here -- https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/semroc-scissor-wing-transport-kit-build-thread.170875/page-3
for an easier to understand visual example of the problem.

I don't think flipping the pivot plate will solve the problem, as the actual headache is that the wing will no longer be perpendicular but at a diagonal slant when deployed. What's mentioned in the SWT advisory may be an additional gremlin, but I didn't have any problems locking the wing backward in the launch position.

At any rate, contact Randy and get the corrected part. If it still doesn't work, try the solution lower down in my post #63.

Much success,

Eric

I'm wondering if the kits' wing was designed to have a slight oblique slant rather than be symmetric?
It's the unique characteristic of this design.
Like the full size one.

1678972883907.png

Anyhoo, you can clear it up when you contact Randy.

Don't know.
Wondering why Randy's advisory said that the right bean should be lower than the left.
If the wings are supposed to be even shouldn't both beans also be even?
:questions:
Exactly. I think he misunderstood the problem as the wing not being able to fully pivot backward for launch, vs not being perpendicular in glide mode. Hopefully the replacement pieces are correct.

Again, kuririn and Rktman, thank you for your input. :eggnog:

I contacted Randy at eRockets, and he has a new Swivel Stand on the way. (Or Pivot Base; seems like I call it something different every time.)

I asked about flipping the 'bad' stand, and he said that would not work. Will take comparison pics when it arrives.

By the way, this is my SECOND Scissor Wing.

My first was built around 43 years ago (I was 14)! The flight was terrific....... but it disappeared over some trees. It was found after a storm, and returned to me. I never flew it again.

As I recall, the wing pivot mechanism had no plastic, and was a bit more robust.

I got my new Pivot Base. It is the one with the "N" on it. For comparison, the old Pivot Base (came with the kit) is "O".

It got here in a hurry; thanks eRockets! :goodjob:

m_IMG_2927small.jpg

I set the new "N" Pivot Base on top of the flipped old Pivot Base.

They don't quite match up (see the red circles), but they are very close.

m_IMG_2929asmall.jpg

Back