Scissor Wing transport from Arkansas [Semroc/Apogee]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a decent flight. The pop pod survived undamaged, but did not unroll.

View attachment 576880

Did you spiral wrap the streamer? For my pop pods, I find that wrapping in a straight continuous roll provides the best recovery chances. If that's too much streamer to fit, just trim it til it does. You can also wrap the last two wraps back and forth to give it a better chance of coming free.

Did you spiral wrap the streamer? For my pop pods, I find that wrapping in a straight continuous roll provides the best recovery chances. If that's too much streamer to fit, just trim it til it does. You can also wrap the last two wraps back and forth to give it a better chance of coming free.
I did a spiral wrap, but I did not add the "back and forth" as you describe (sounds like a good idea).

Nor did I follow the kit instructions. Step 47 talks about "folding up the streamer, and then wrapping it around the forward end of the Motor Tube."

By "folding up", I guess they mean to crease the middle of the streamer, folding it on itself length-wise? That seems to make sense.

I did a spiral wrap, but I did not add the "back and forth" as you describe (sounds like a good idea).

Nor did I follow the kit instructions. Step 47 talks about "folding up the streamer, and then wrapping it around the forward end of the Motor Tube."

By "folding up", I guess they mean to crease the middle of the streamer, folding it on itself length-wise? That seems to make sense.

I think what they mean is to fold it in half multiple times such that it only wraps around the tube once. This is the way to get it to deploy instantly. My point was *don't* spiral wrap, do a convolute wrap (think like a roll of tape). I'm lazy, so I wrap most of it convolutely and then only leave the last bit to get folded back and forth to help it deploy. Once the air catches the end it will unravel pretty quickly.

I think what they mean is to fold it in half multiple times such that it only wraps around the tube once. This is the way to get it to deploy instantly. My point was *don't* spiral wrap, do a convolute wrap (think like a roll of tape). I'm lazy, so I wrap most of it convolutely and then only leave the last bit to get folded back and forth to help it deploy. Once the air catches the end it will unravel pretty quickly.
OK. Thank you for the explanation.

Applying decals. Note that you need to trim the back paper pretty close to the decal, so there is not too much excess film.

The decals are fairly strong (did not tear). They don't need much time to soak in warm water.

With a little help from Ginny.

m_IMG_3046small.jpg

m_IMG_3047small.jpg

Reviewing my flight video, even though my Scissor Wing had a good landing, there were problems with the flight. Here are some pics from the flight video.

So, the motor pod has ejected, and and we see the glider (lower left) with wing deployed.

m_IMG_3062small.jpg

Note that, when you attach the rudder, the instructions suggest you set it at a small angle to get a mildly circular glide.

Because I might have some glide problem, I attached the rudder 'straight on'. My thinking was that I could sand the rudder to offset a left turn or right turn tendency.

And that is what I am going to do. :music1:

Since the glider banks to the Left, I want to sand the Rudder so it points to the left. This will steer the model to the right; or maybe just reduce the amount of left bank.

I am sanding on the surfaces wit the arrows.

m_IMG_E3081small.jpg

Back