Scissor Wing 2X (old school 1980) [Dynasoar Rocketry]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attaching the horizontal stabilizer/elevator, and using the Rudder as a guide. Note how it is removed in the second pic.

Note that I am making a bit of a detour from the instructions. If I was attaching the Wing permanently (non-swing), I would use small strips to locate the Elevator. Then, I would attach the Wing and Elevator at the same time, on a flat surface, which ensures they are aligned.

I will attach the Wing Pivot Base, such that it is aligned with the Elevator. It might even work.... :headspinning:

m_IMG_3056small.jpg

m_IMG_3057small.jpg

What did you decide to do for pivoting the wing, rubber bands or direct linkage to the wing via servo? How will you capture/release the wing if driven by rubber bands? Just curious.

What did you decide to do for pivoting the wing, rubber bands or direct linkage to the wing via servo? How will you capture/release the wing if driven by rubber bands? Just curious.
I am going to use a rubber band to 'swing the Wing', similar to the original 1970's design. But rather than a pin in the tail, I am going to use a pin/servo in the nose (or near the nose) to hold the Wing.

I am going to use a rubber band to 'swing the Wing', similar to the original 1970's design. But rather than a pin in the tail, I am going to use a pin/servo in the nose (or near the nose) to hold the Wing.
That should help offset the CG being further forward since you have to move the wing pivot further forward to clear the tail...

Here is the "pivot base". The larger plywood is 3/16" thick, and the smaller plywood piece is 1/8" thick. The 1/8" plywood gives height for the rubberband to fit under the Wing. The dowel is 3/8" diameter, and will be epoxied in the hole.

m_IMG_3187small.jpg

Center hole through the Wing. This needed to be a tight (but smooth) fit. So that rather than drilling a 3/8" diameter hole, I drilled a 5/16" hole and opened it up to fit the dowel.

m_IMG_3188small.jpg

Here it all is together, but upside down. I plan for the dowel to go all the way through the fuselage/tube.

I will be adding another small dowel to the Wing that hits the pivot base, stopping the Wing after rotation.

But it looks like I will be drilling through a graphite rod. Not what I wanted, but not a crisis.

m_IMG_3190small.jpg

Here is the pivot of the wing, showing rotation of the base.

m_IMG_3193small.jpg

m_IMG_3194small.jpg

Attachments

• m_IMG_3195small.jpg
    m_IMG_3195small.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
But now I have a problem. :facepalm:

The little square I am pointing to is roughly where the dowel should be located that the rubberband attaches to. But, if I drill through at the square, then I will drill through my graphite rod.

So< I am changing my drill location, which will help the graphite rod. But it will require me to modify the pivot base.

m_IMG_3196small.jpg

And I messed up. Sort of.

I located my 3/16" dowel, but my first choice was screwed up by being too close to the outer edge.

m_IMG_3197small.jpg

m_IMG_3198small.jpg

Time to attach the pivot base to the fuselage.

Used 5-minute epoxy. Applied epoxy, then got the pivot base lined up. Waited a minute for the epoxy to adhere, but not harden. Then flipped upside down.

Trying to get Elevator (already glued) and the top of the pivot base aligned.

m_IMG_3202small.jpg

m_IMG_3201small.jpg

Top of pivot base seems aligned with elevator. Note that the front of the plywood on the pivot base is curled up on the right side of the pic.

m_IMG_3203small.jpg

Because of rotating wing interference. I have the rudder tube turned around backwards. (Being a scale model enthusiast, I confess that this bothers me.)

However, it just dawned on me that I might cut out the bottom of the 'long' side of the rudder tube, so it can be (correctly) facing forward.

m_IMG_3216small.jpg

Last edited:
Because of rotating wing interference. I have the rudder tube turned around backwards. (Being a scale model enthusiast, I confess that this bothers me.)

However, it just dawned on me that I might cut out the bottom of the 'long' side of the rudder tube, so it can be (correctly) facing forward.

View attachment 588717
You could just use some scrap and put small 1/8" or 3/16" foam shim blocks on the vertical stab so the tube sits on those and doesn't go down so far on the stab and let it overhang the wing like normal.

I don't have anything to add, just want to say that I'm really enjoying this build and looking forward to the first flight. Good luck!

Back