Back at it after 45+ years!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Snow

Reaction score
Apologies in advance! My senior moments had me forget I joined this forum back in Jan 22!!

Hello everyone! I re-acquired the rocketry bug last summer (2021). My last launch prior to that was around 1977, launched a Mean Machine with my sons.
Then I got lured away by the appeal of radio controlled airplanes. Gave that up about 15 years ago when I got into shooting and just couldn't manage both on the budget. Physically had to give up the shooting, so built and flew rubber powered free flight until last summer when I spotted the rocketry display at a local Hobby Lobby.
A wander through eBay landed me with an Alpha III starter kit. An internet search connected me with a local club and in November of last year I attended and participated in my first launch since the Mean Machine of 45 years ago and I was off to the races.
Unfortunately our club only had limited access to the launch site. CA being a high fire risk, and sharing the state park land with a farmer, limited us to an Oct to Apr launch season, depending on the dryness and the farmer. Well, we were recently informed that the park was not going to allow launches this season. The next closest site where clubs routinely launch is over 70 miles away. Not far you say? At CA's $6.89/gal prices, yeah, it's far. But the search is on for another local site. Keeping fingers crossed. (Local high school "might" allow us to use their field, but there would be a $100+ usage fee for each event!

Anyway, I built up a fleet, some kits, some kit bashing and some scratch built. The Scissor wing and the Flying Jenny and the Icarus boost glider all being scratched. I humbly admit I'm proudest of the TomCat and the Estes Interceptor. (The decals for the Interceptor were a multi-hour challenge!)

I'm currently working on a sorta scale rendition of the Soviet Tsybin RSR Mach 3 Reconnaissance plane from the 1959-1962 era. After recommendations from a fellow modeler I down loaded the Open Rocket Beta and started designing it in there. I'm not the most computer savvy guy, in spite of a 30 year career as a mech designer using CAD. I can learn and use software, but understanding why a program does something, or figuring things out when it's not intuitive kicks my butt with vigorous glee! :)
Such as this: The beta version offers several views in the model display screen. Side, Back and 3 different shaded versions.
Question: I need/would like to have a Top View. The model has a conventional tail assembly, Stab and Rudder, I like a top view so ?I can see the outline of the fin.
Is there a way to add this view to the menu choices?

Attachments

• 20221021_002341 (1).jpg
    20221021_002341 (1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221022_021004.jpg
    20221022_021004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221022_020954.jpg
    20221022_020954.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221022_021015.jpg
    20221022_021015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Apologies in advance! My senior moments had me forget I joined this forum back in Jan 22!!

Hello everyone! I re-acquired the rocketry bug last summer (2021). My last launch prior to that was around 1977, launched a Mean Machine with my sons.
Then I got lured away by the appeal of radio controlled airplanes. Gave that up about 15 years ago when I got into shooting and just couldn't manage both on the budget. Physically had to give up the shooting, so built and flew rubber powered free flight until last summer when I spotted the rocketry display at a local Hobby Lobby.
A wander through eBay landed me with an Alpha III starter kit. An internet search connected me with a local club and in November of last year I attended and participated in my first launch since the Mean Machine of 45 years ago and I was off to the races.
Unfortunately our club only had limited access to the launch site. CA being a high fire risk, and sharing the state park land with a farmer, limited us to an Oct to Apr launch season, depending on the dryness and the farmer. Well, we were recently informed that the park was not going to allow launches this season. The next closest site where clubs routinely launch is over 70 miles away. Not far you say? At CA's $6.89/gal prices, yeah, it's far. But the search is on for another local site. Keeping fingers crossed. (Local high school "might" allow us to use their field, but there would be a $100+ usage fee for each event!

Anyway, I built up a fleet, some kits, some kit bashing and some scratch built. The Scissor wing and the Flying Jenny and the Icarus boost glider all being scratched. I humbly admit I'm proudest of the TomCat and the Estes Interceptor. (The decals for the Interceptor were a multi-hour challenge!)

I'm currently working on a sorta scale rendition of the Soviet Tsybin RSR Mach 3 Reconnaissance plane from the 1959-1962 era. After recommendations from a fellow modeler I down loaded the Open Rocket Beta and started designing it in there. I'm not the most computer savvy guy, in spite of a 30 year career as a mech designer using CAD. I can learn and use software, but understanding why a program does something, or figuring things out when it's not intuitive kicks my butt with vigorous glee! :)
Such as this: The beta version offers several views in the model display screen. Side, Back and 3 different shaded versions.
Question: I need/would like to have a Top View. The model has a conventional tail assembly, Stab and Rudder, I like a top view so ?I can see the outline of the fin.
Welcome! Thanks for the pictures.

In the 2D views you can use the vertical slider to the left of the drawing display to rotate the design. It shouldn’t be difficult to get it an even 90 or 270 degrees.

I believe we connected via a FaceBook group not too long ago, I’m active there as well as here. Here was my response to the launch site issues, on the off chance you may find that of interest. Please excuse the minor typos there.

81F175D4-A7BC-4B44-A3CA-38C95CE529A7.jpeg

I'm currently working on a sorta scale rendition of the Soviet Tsybin RSR Mach 3 Reconnaissance plane from the 1959-1962 era.
Welcome! That looks gorgeous, please post more pics as you go through the build.

View attachment slider.mp4

Can I ask the picture of the blue rocket, what kind of paint and gloss coat did you use and what color blue is it?

Can I ask the picture of the blue rocket, what kind of paint and gloss coat did you use and what color blue is it?
Paint is Krylon Color-Maxx gloss Bahama Sea, with Rustoleum Gloss Clear Lacquer overcoat after decals applies.

Is the krylon an enamel? Just wondering how the lacquer didn’t effect the paint underneath? Very nice work.

Me too! My mast launch was in 1976 or 1977. I was maybe 14 or so when I thought I had outgrown model rockets. I watched a high power launch in the 90s and then got back into it again last year. It feels good to be back!!

Welcome back!

And since no one else has yet, let me warn you that the rocketry bug bites a lot harder the second time than it did the first. But then, Dan, it looks like you've already figured that out... :)

Last time I hit the launch button was in 1975 with my father. My main hobby is model railroad but had to be put it on the back burner for now for no space for a layout in HO. I started back into this hobby buying a half dozen kits, now over 200. The bug bit hard.

Back