Back after a 60 year break

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkS

Reaction score
That's not a mistype. 60 years ago I was building model rockets from Estes, importing the materials and kits to Australia as there was no local distributor in those days. Launched them at the local rubbish tip and a bush picnic ground (lost that two stage rocket in the tress and bushes).
Experimented with zinc dust and sulphur as a fuel (got that recipe from the Amateur Scientist column in Scientific American around that time). However, one batch self ignited on the garage bench (that's my story), burning off my eyebrows and leaving a minuscule deposit in my left eye. My father banned all future rocket fuel research after that.
I was written up in the newspaper with models of rockets I had built, and went on to win a science competition.
Spent hours in the state library reading everything they had on rocket engines and their design.
Ended up as an electrical and computer engineer, and didn't get to work with model rockets over that time.
Now retired, i am looking forward to getting back into rocketry Not zinc dust and sulphur though).

Hello Mark, there are methods of making rocket propellant that is far less hazardous and more powerful than zinc-sulfur, though there would be some difficulty obtaining the necessary materials in AUS. And I wouldn't recommend starting with homemade propellant anyway, not until a lot of experience has been gained with commercial composite motors.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy@

Back