Semroc Scissor Wing Transport Kit Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct, measuring from the leading edge of the wing at the center, where does the model balance with respect to a point on the wing? And what is the chord at the center of the wing, ie distance from leading edge to trailing edge. Then you can figure out the % of the chord at the recommended balance point and we can see if it makes sense, compared to a normal 25-30% chord cg ...
Unfortunately the nose cone is already CAd on and can't be removed without destroying it.

Wing chord @ center: 2 9/16" (2.5625")
Balance point: 2 1/16" (2.0625") as recommended in the kit instructions.

Something's off.. the balance point seems to be too far back?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the nose cone is already CAd on and can't be removed without destroying it.
Eric,

Would it be possible to use a "grinding burr", or a drill bit, on an "extension ( like an aluminum Arrow Shaft ), to permit the Nose Cone to be accessed for lightening ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
Eric,

Would it be possible to use a "grinding burr", or a drill bit, on an "extension ( like an aluminum Arrow Shaft ), to permit the Nose Cone to be accessed for lightening ?

Dave F.
The body tube is a bit over 17" long -- quite a ways to reach and I don't like flying blind and possibly tearing through the outside of the cone.

Wing chord @ center: 2 9/16" (2.5625")
Balance point: 2 1/16" (2.0625") as recommended in the kit instructions.

Something's off.. the balance point seems to be too far back?
That does seem too far back, relative to the wing, is it possible the pivot location is incorrect or more forward than designed?

That does seem too far back, relative to the wing, is it possible the pivot location is incorrect or more forward than designed?
No, I didn't alter anything and the pivot mechanism and wing are located exactly as per the instructions (front of Wing Pivot 7 1/16" from the forward end of the body tube). I'm stumped.
All I can think of to do at this point is to increase the up-flap angle till it no longer pitches down seriously after transition.

Back