Roof Racks for Rocket transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like sombody's getting a nice new power plant somewhere....

they are transformers for power plant sub-stations..in general they will bring down the HI=voltage to 480v

SubStation.jpg

Last edited:
You might have to modify it as to not launch them at an angle exceeding 30 degrees.
Oh yeah, we'll just pinch it with a really big pair of pliers... :roll:

Awseiger, how about something like this: you have a board or other piece of material sticking up vertically in the back, through which you drill a hole and insert a piece of pipe the size of the motor casing. A little bit in front of that, you have a standard, insulation covered PVC cradle. In front of that, you have a (not necessarily round) loop of pipe, also covered with insulation. You could then stretch multiple bungee cords from the loop to hooks on the board in the back.
So, to mount the rocket, you put it on the cradle, slide it back to insert the pipe into the motor mount, place the loop over the nose cone, and stretch the bungee cords from the loop to the hooks in the board in the back.
Like this:rocket roof rack1.jpgrocket roof rack 2.jpgrocket roof rack.jpg

Oh yeah, we'll just pinch it with a really big pair of pliers... :roll:

Awseiger, how about something like this: you have a board or other piece of material sticking up vertically in the back, through which you drill a hole and insert a piece of pipe the size of the motor casing. A little bit in front of that, you have a standard, insulation covered PVC cradle. In front of that, you have a (not necessarily round) loop of pipe, also covered with insulation. You could then stretch multiple bungee cords from the loop to hooks on the board in the back.
So, to mount the rocket, you put it on the cradle, slide it back to insert the pipe into the motor mount, place the loop over the nose cone, and stretch the bungee cords from the loop to the hooks in the board in the back.
Like this:View attachment 90039View attachment 90040View attachment 90041

Similar to what I was thinking. I was going to have a hunk-o-plywood stick out the back that cradles around a fin, providing both forward and aft retainment. I was thinking the PVC "cradle" would be a clamshell kind of thing. I really want to keep the MMT visible so I can hang "remove before flight" flags from it.

I like the idea of the bungee cord ring around the NC though. I was worried about my nose-cone flipping off if I braked hard enough. This solves that problem.

If you want to keep the motor mount visible, you could just make the board in the back a pice of plywood with a hole cut in it... Of course this assumes that the fins to don't stick out past the end of the BT.
As for mounting it on your car, maybe you could make the base out of a PVC frame or a piece of plywood, then lash it to a luggage rack or, ideally, crossbars.
Let us know what works! :)

I found a piece of rail stock at my local surplus store... I could just slide it down a piece of launch rail mounted to the roof rack, and install some rail stops. A quick ring/bungee strap later and my rocket is mounted quite securely... I'd have tome sort of cradle too, I don't rather trust rails holding rockets side/side very well.

Plus then I could launch it off the roof of my car :headbang:

:rofl: I have been laughing hysterically for the last ten minutes reading these posts!

I have a Kia Soul, and was thinking it would be fun to take a concrete form tube and make a large non-functional rocket to strap on the top just for fun at big launches. I could order some door magnets that say "Rocket Powered Kia ~ End The Dependency On Foreign Oil!" I don't actually build anything that large now,,, but I'm sure somebody would give it a once over and say, "We can make that fly if you want to?" Hmmmm... Get's me thinking. Don't tempt me! I might just do it! :wink:

I want to attach my 1/4 scale Nike smoke to the top of my dad's F-150 and see what the cops say. Maybe test fire a long burn up there right next to a cop?

You forgot the required disclaimer, stating that you were kidding. Which I presume you were!! Kids nowadays!!

Previous statement about attaching a 1/4 scale Nike smoke to the top of an F150( hey, that might be a cool rocket motor!) was not true.

:rofl: I have been laughing hysterically for the last ten minutes reading these posts!

I have a Kia Soul, and was thinking it would be fun to take a concrete form tube and make a large non-functional rocket to strap on the top just for fun at big launches. I could order some door magnets that say "Rocket Powered Kia ~ End The Dependency On Foreign Oil!" I don't actually build anything that large now,,, but I'm sure somebody would give it a once over and say, "We can make that fly if you want to?" Hmmmm... Get's me thinking. Don't tempt me! I might just do it! :wink:

With a little effort, you could then convert that large non-functional rocket into a storage box for your "real" rockets.

Back