Where to move to? Getting real? Rockets matter.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ohio legislature is discussing the elimination of the state income tax (after a recent reduction to only two tax brackets). Of course, they have some significant issues to figure out first, not least of which is how they will replace $10 billion in revenue.

Thanks all so far. More pls. My clock is ticking. All I want is clear skies (most of the time), launch rockets a few times a month, and be able to afford the place. Dry if possible. Not humid.

Apart from a few places that are expensive (Santa Fe), almost anywhere in the Southwest meets the criteria for dry weather, clear skies, and affordable.

That just leaves the question of rocketry. Sounds like Las Cruces has Albuquerque beat on that front. I was born and raised in and near LC, and that's where I built and flew my first rocket kit. It's grown a lot since I lived there or even visited.

Thanks all so far. More pls. My clock is ticking. All I want is clear skies (most of the time), launch rockets a few times a month, and be able to afford the place. Dry if possible. Not humid. If possible.

NOT controversial. just have a decent life until its over.
I’m in the same boat. NV or NM is where I’m thinking.

Colorado!!!!! I live near Woodland Park, CO
2 launch sites within a 1.5 hr drive.
Pueblo flies twice a month all year.
Hartsel once a month April thru November with 2 day launches twice during the season.
I was thinking of going and living by Vern in Pueblo West. Could hit all the Colorado clubs and New Mexico is not that far. Go East to Kansas, West to Utah and Nevada for a road trip. Pueblo West is still somewhat affordable and great access to the out doors. Good meds in Pueblo or the Springs. Apogee is just far enough away to avoid easy access temptation. If you miss California, just head up to Denver Metro, it's all here now.

If you want low humidity then NM will fit that description. When I was there the humidity was 16% and the locals were complaining how humid it was.

I enjoyed both Albuquerque and Las Cruces but I was only there as a tourist. I think LC was slightly better IMHO.

Here in Oz it gets to about 80%+ humidity before we call it muggy.

If you want low humidity then NM will fit that description. When I was there the humidity was 16% and the locals were complaining how humid it was.

I enjoyed both Albuquerque and Las Cruces but I was only there as a tourist. I think LC was slightly better IMHO.

Here in Oz it gets to about 80%+ humidity before we call it muggy.
16% is down right tropical! The first part of my test is that in the morning if you can't see the paint dry right behind it being sprayed on, or God forbid a there is a bug flying in the area, then it's time to move. The second part of the test is that the paint is dry for an afternoon launch into sunny skies without wind. This must be year round.

We just had an Artic blast come down as they usually do here in mid January. The Saturday SCORE launch outside Pueblo was canceled because the sky was overcast, you could not track your high power flight to a mile! Can you believe that! How awful. 10 degrees Fahrenheit was too cold for the old dudes. This weekend it is up to 60 and a launch is scheduled in Colorado Springs COSROCS. Whew, maybe for a second there I was headed to Vegas!

All replies to your original post are great. Here is mine|:

I'm Canadian, transplanted 5 years ago to marry my American bride, and we now live in what I very, very respectfully call rural Indiana. Chicago is about 2 hours north of us, and Indy is about 2 hours south.

Tripoli Michiana flies out of Three Oaks Michigan. It's about 1 hour from me. Tripoli Team 1 flies out of a town about 3 hours north-west of me. I forget the name of the town, but it has a small airport. Great people in both areas. When I started flying HP in 1989, there was no HP anywhere near Toronto, so I'd drive to Three Oaks. Close to 9 hours then, about that 1 hour now.

Jim

Sounds neet, I know I've been through there before. How secure is the water system?
We are on a well. Only the people in or near town are on the town water and sewer. We have been pumping out of our well for 18 years without a problem. The water tastes fine and is a lot less harder than what we had in Vegas. There isn't natural gas here. Everything is electric. Other than trash pick up we only pay for electricity. lots of houses have solar panels to reduce the electricity they have to pay for. The second biggest aquifer in the country isn't to far from here.
Sounds neet, I know I've been through there before. How secure is the water system?

We are on a well. Only the people in or near town are on the town water and sewer. We have been pumping out of our well for 18 years without a problem. The water tastes fine and is a lot less harder than what we had in Vegas. There isn't natural gas here. Everything is electric. Other than trash pick up we only pay for electricity. lots of houses have solar panels to reduce the electricity they have to pay for. The second biggest aquifer in the country isn't to far from here.
Have you had the well water analysed. The water supply analysis doesn't look great for town water.
https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/system.php?pws=NV0000926

Have you had the well water analysed. The water supply analysis doesn't look great for town water.
https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/system.php?pws=NV0000926
We aren't on town water. We have a well and the water is great. There are parts of the valley where cotton was grown 50 years ago that the water isn't that great. Pahrump had the only cotton gin west of the Mississippi. Pahrump means water rock in Piute. Lots of water underground. Artesian wells around the area.

We aren't on town water. We have a well and the water is great. There are parts of the valley where cotton was grown 50 years ago that the water isn't that great. Pahrump had the
And you've had it tested....... Not hearing that bit. Based on the town water report that would seem sensible as a minimum.

Pretty sure the town would be getting it from artesian wells as there is no surface water in the WiKi.

And you've had it tested....... Not hearing that bit. Based on the town water report that would seem sensible as a minimum.

Pretty sure the town would be getting it from artesian wells as there is no surface water in the WiKi.
It was tested when the well went in. Nothing bad showed up then. Maybe I'll do it again.

Saw this on MSN this morning, and checked out MakeMyMove, on incentives to move to particular states/localities. I doubt the incentives would be worthwhile unless one was planning to move to one of the locations anyway. $5k to move to one of the poorer counties in Kentucky...there are places where you have to drive some distance for groceries, to get your car fixed, medical care, etc. Not a compelling incentive.

Thanks all so far. More pls. My clock is ticking. All I want is clear skies (most of the time), launch rockets a few times a month, and be able to afford the place. Dry if possible. Not humid. If possible.

NOT controversial. just have a decent life until its over.
The 4 Corners region in NW NM. The 4 Corners Rocketry Association is small but they have a couple of L1 guys that are very helpful if that's your thing. They also have a site up on Crouch Mesa that you can launch smaller rockets from. When I lived there (I miss that place) we would sometimes have side competitions that were based more on Estes or small scratch built, minimum diameter rockets. Farmington, NM is less than an hour from Durango, CO. The college there has a rocketry team. Sometimes they show up at the 4CRA launches. I didn't find it to be all that expensive to live in Farmington. The climate is dry, winters are mild most of the time.

Couple of thoughts..........

First, I SO envy you that you are actually able to be done with politics and wanting to just live your life. I honestly wish I could be in that headspace. The times we live in are so toxic and ridiculous it would be nice to be able to ignore all that. I'm much more detached than I was in my younger days, but still nowhere near enough for my own health and sanity.

Two places that have been suggested far are Pahrump NV, and Farmington, NM.

Pahrump: I don't know it super well, but from what I do I think it would be an excellent consideration.....for yourself and your stated criteria. I do know the Tripoli Vegas/Jean Lake launch community and they are just great. Would be very much near or at the top of my own list for rocketry considerations. For myself though, Vegas itself is a major consideration....and a negative one. Las Vegas (for me) is one of the nastiest places ever to be in...I simply hate it. If my theoretical life in Pahrump was such that I didn't need to "go into town" there on any sort of regular basis, I could manage it. But if I had to go there to work, or to make weekly (or more frequent) runs for whatever reason (groceries, shopping, entertainment, etc.), that would be a big "nope!". The other thing (for me) is the lack of fishing......that would absolutely make it a "no go". But my needs (and such) are my own, and for lots of people who ain't me, I think Pahrump could be a fine choice....perhaps you?

Farmington NM: I do know this area very well (and in fact I'm living somewhat close to there right now). I also think this could be an excellent consideration. The town itself is pretty uninspiring (and frankly kinda ugly), but the surrounding area is simply spectacular. There is SO much great country to explore and just "be in" close by. And there is great fishing!.....just yesterday I was less than an hour away and caught over a dozen trout in the 18"-22" range. What I don't know about is the rocketry community.......other than the fact that the Pahrump area would beat it hands down.

Real Estate pricing -
Pahrump --- it does look like there are properties to be had that meet your criteria.
Farmington --- from what I can see, there ARE properties to be had that meet your criteria, but it looks like you'd have a bit more luck on your side getting something decent; most of what I see listed in your price range are things like mobile homes and foreclosures, and perhaps questionable "deals".

Lastly, I don't know that much about Las Cruces itself, but enough to know that it could also very much worth considering. I have lived in or spent time in that area and it's one I'd definitely think about if I was in your shoes.

s6

Thanks all! I love all the ideas! Again, I am done with politics. I needed to care. But I don't anymore.
Couple of other thoughts I had about why Pahrump might be a good fit for you.
I suspect their humidity is low enough that most folks there use evaporative cooling in the summer which is lots cheaper than running A/C...
That and you're still within a reasonable drive if you want to fly at Lucerne for maybe the occaisional RocStock, Aerial Acres, or even FAR.

About 45m south of Farmington there's a place called Chaco Canyon. This is called Fajada Butte. Google will fill in the details.

p3446857627-4.jpg

Shiprock is an iconic landmark for the area. The Navajo call it Tsé Bitʼaʼí . It's up to you to pronounce it :)

p2760125898-4.jpg

This site, Nogales Ruin, is located a little east of Cuba. Cuba is south of Farmington.

p3591629564-4.jpg

Mesa Verde is just outside of Cortez, CO. About 30-45m north of Farmington

p440776678-5.jpg

Hovenweep is about 30m west of Cortez, CO. There are multiples sites to see in that complex.

p2433597530-4.jpg

Farmington NM: I do know this area very well (and in fact I'm living somewhat close to there right now). I also think this could be an excellent consideration. The town itself is pretty uninspiring (and frankly kinda ugly), but the surrounding area is simply spectacular. There is SO much great country to explore and just "be in" close by. And there is great fishing!.....just yesterday I was less than an hour away and caught over a dozen trout in the 18"-22" range. What I don't know about is the rocketry community.......other than the fact that the Pahrump area would beat it hands down.
4 Corners Rocketry Association. When I lived in Bloomfield I got my L1 at the HPR site. I am still a member. They have a FB page but it's not public. They are a Tripoli prefecture.

NM - Tripoli 4 Corners (4 Corners Rocketry Assoc.)
Contact
Patrick Bowers
Prefect
[email protected]
More Info
Web Site: www.4CRA.org
Members
Event Calendar

Trout - downstream of Navajo dam?

My next to last Launch at 4CRA

p385736599-5.jpg

Thanks Michael L for filling in some info regarding the rocketry community in Farmington area.

For gdjsky01 and others, Michael mentions living in Bloomfield, which is right next door, about 10-15 miles, in some ways "the same community".

Also, those places he listed/showed as close-by....those are just a few of the more well known spots....there's a LOT more where that came from. And all those are of the "desert/sandstone" variety (which Farmington itself is very much in), but there's also tons of more "alpine/rocky mountain" territory not too far away to the north (as mentioned, Durango is less than an hour away). Like I said, a spectacular countryside thereabouts.

All that said, while Farmington IS in a desert area, it is also in northern New Mexico, and it can and does get cold/snowy in the winter. Not deep mountain winter (by a long shot), but if you want year-round warmth and no snow (or very little) you are better off looking at southern New Mexico (such as Las Cruces).

s6

Yeah... I didn't want to get too carried away-er with the sites. I left out the Navajo Pueblito's, Aztec Great Kiva (nice town too, way better than Farmington), Canyon de Chelly, Largo Canyon, the Chaco outliers, great Chacoan road from Chaco to Bluff, rafting in Bluff (Utah),Cedar Mesa, and all of the other things that Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and NM have to offer.

Like Grand Falls for instance, over in Arizona. It only runs when the snow melts is high and not every year. It's huge. I was told that it has more vertical feet than Niagara Falls. The first time I saw it the falls were bone dry. The second time I saw it they looked like this:

p2637068735-4.jpg

I've been going to and through that area for 40+ years. I lived in Bloomfield for 4 years but I was in a hotel for another project for a year prior to moving up there. Work was out east of town, Durango south to Cuba.

Bloomfield is a quiet town. I have an SDS200 scanner and sadly, the Farmington PD, especially after dark, were very busy. Cruces and Albuquerque have the same problems. Santa Fe does too. I never had a single issue when I was there.
I have the good fortune of being a general aviation pilot. I flew out of KFMN quite a bit. For the most part the winters were mild. Snow didn't last long and some years it was barely a dusting. Wind... there' always wind up on the mesas. I think that the weather has turned 180 degrees this year and they've had more snow than usual.

Yeah crime in New Mexico is a consideration.

I don't know what it is about the state, but pretty much everywhere (including Cruces and Farmington) crime rates seem higher than one might expect. Mostly "petty" crime, and a high rate of houses being broken into. Not necessarily major mob scenes, gang violence, drug wars, etc., although those factors are certainly present (especially in high population places like Albuquerque). It's weird, and does seem a bit out of proportion compared to say Utah or Colorado, and to some degree Arizona.

Like Michael, I myself have never been victim to any robberies, theft, violence, etc., and I have spent a fair bit of time working, playing, and/or living around the state. But I do ALWAYS lock my doors, be careful where I'm at after dark, and take "necessary and prudent caution", etc.

s6

IMO there is no place to “hide” and despair is a sin. That said mobility is a great American blessing. I wish you well @gdjsky01. Don’t sleep on @vcp ‘s comments about water and power grid security. Feb 2021 was a big wake-up call in my neck of the woods.

Consider SE Washington or Eastern Oregon. Relatively dry, relatively dark skies, TCR and OROC launches, including 40K waivers at The Brothers. There are public observatories in Sunriver OR and Goldendale WA. I don’t know about housing prices in those parts of the states, but those tend to be less if you’re not in a tourist town. Paging @rharshberger
Housing in Eastern Washington is about 2200sqft. for about 410-450k, obviously you are not looking for something that large, but its an idea. The TriCities where I live is about 15 miles from TCRs flying field, our weather is typically dry (less than 10" annual precipitation iirc), however we do get winds that will cancel launches. We are not the only flying field in WA but we have the best field IMO, the next nearest fields being Gorge Rocketry's Goldendale launch site, and WAC's 60 Acres LPR/MPR field. We hold launches from March through November, usually July is iffy due to temps over 100F, August we dont have a launch due to SodBlaster our annual 4 day launch on Labor Day weekend. TriCities (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland, West Richland) has most amenities and Spokane is 2 hours north, Seattle and Portland are approximately 3 hours-ish northwest and southwest respectively. TriCities is a "high desert" climate, once out of town its farms and sagebrush and few naturally occuring trees, its also primarily an agricultural area, though we are growing in industrial and technical industries and of course many work at the Hanford Nuclear Site which starts about 10 miles north of town.

Western Washington isn't much different than California politics wise....Eastern Washington is the opposite....

16% is down right tropical! The first part of my test is that in the morning if you can't see the paint dry right behind it being sprayed on, or God forbid a there is a bug flying in the area, then it's time to move. The second part of the test is that the paint is dry for an afternoon launch into sunny skies without wind. This must be year round.

We just had an Artic blast come down as they usually do here in mid January. The Saturday SCORE launch outside Pueblo was canceled because the sky was overcast, you could not track your high power flight to a mile! Can you believe that! How awful. 10 degrees Fahrenheit was too cold for the old dudes. This weekend it is up to 60 and a launch is scheduled in Colorado Springs COSROCS. Whew, maybe for a second there I was headed to Vegas!
There is a lot of interesting stuff in Colorado including rocket launches, it's a lot colder than what I'm used to, but the big thing is that housing prices are very high. The demand is high in the cities on I-25 and of course the quaint mountain towns and ski towns. If you go 50 miles east of I-25 which is pretty much the same as being in Kansas maybe housing isn't so expensive.

Back