Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is 'The Book of British Birds,' and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology. (...) As far as theology goes, Dawkins has an enormous amount in common with Ian Paisley and American TV evangelists. Both parties agree pretty much on what religion is; it’s just that Dawkins rejects it while Oral Roberts and his unctuous tribe grow fat on it."

-Terry Eagleton

Full essay: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v28/n20/terry-eagleton/lunging-flailing-mispunching

"Beauty is vanishing from our world because we live as though it did not matter; and we live that way because we have lost the habit of sacrifice and are striving always to avoid it. The false art of our time, mired in kitsch and desecration, is one sign of this."

-Roger Scruton

Stay close to any sounds that make you glad you are alive.
~Hafez

They mostly come at night, mostly... (or variations thereof)
-Aliens

Multiply it by infinity and take it to the depths of forever...
-Meet Joe Black, courtesy of Anthony Hopkins

Every time I say the word "mostly" it is followed by the phrase above. People look at me in a strange way when I do that...

”I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think.“​
SOCRATES​

"Sometimes it's the archer and not the arrow."

I'm not sure where this adaptation came from but it might have originated from Cicero’s "On the Ends of Good and Evil" and then immortalized in a Taylor Swift song...

"More fun than licking a light switch"

Me, usually talking about something I am working on that generates substantial high voltages in the kV range.
“Please”
- me asking my parents if I could work with high voltage.
“NO!”
-there answer, maybe I should try again with that quote…

"You have not understood anything about life. Hate is useless. Only love creates!"

-St. Maximilian Kolbe to his Nazi executioners

The myth of human progress is without validity. Materially and technically, we are certainly better off than our ancestors; but have we progressed in peace and happiness? Can we honestly say there has been a qualitative advance in social justice, in purity of national morals, in business honesty, and in neighborliness?

-Archbishop Ven. Fulton Sheen

A couple of reruns, because I think both bear repeating and contemplation.

There is always light, if only we're brave enough to see it. If only we're brave enough to be it.
Amanda Gorman

I never said half the things I said.
- Albert Einstein
That's usually attributed to Yogi Berra, which I guess is the joke. So many things are misattributed to Yogi (as well as to Albert and Mark Twain) that this one is actually the title of Yogi's book, so I guess this time the Berra attribution is correct.

Back