Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"When you write things down, they sometimes take you places you hadn't planned."​
MELANIE BENJAMIN​

"In the beginning, there was nothing. The nothingiest nothing that has ever not existed. The nothing just kind of sat around, not bothered by any such thing as existence and reality. There may have been some bits of heat energy floating about, but that $#!t doesn't count. Eventually, however, this frigid, lonely expanse of plot-hole-level nothing got sick of being nothing, and decided to get a job."

-The Emperor (From the Warhammer 40k fan work, "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device.")

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business."​
MICHAEL J. FOX​

"In the beginning, there was nothing. The nothingiest nothing that has ever not existed. The nothing just kind of sat around, not bothered by any such thing as existence and reality. There may have been some bits of heat energy floating about, but that $#!t doesn't count. Eventually, however, this frigid, lonely expanse of plot-hole-level nothing got sick of being nothing, and decided to get a job."

-The Emperor (From the Warhammer 40k fan work, "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device.")
That sounds similar to Douglas Adams. I love it!

This one (actually two) involves a bit of a quiz. No googling allowed for the answer.

Who said, "Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced" ?

AND....who said, "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience" ?

Are you sure?

s6

This one (actually two) involves a bit of a quiz. No googling allowed for the answer.

Who said, "Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced" ?

AND....who said, "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience" ?

Are you sure?

s6
Before I Google it, I'll guess Gandhi?

EDIT: Wow, I was way off the mark. 🥴

"It takes half your life before you discover life is a do-it-yourself project."​
NAPOLEON HILL​

Are you sure?

s6
  1. Soren Kierkegaard, the father of existentialism
  2. Frank Herbert, Dune

1. Soren Kierkegaard, the father of existentialism
  2. Frank Herbert, Dune
Correct..........................................maybe.

I've always thought this was the case, and also always wondered why Herbert wasn't called out for plagiarizing Kierkegaard.

Now try to find the actual source of Kierkegaard saying it.

s6

"When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure"
-- Charles Goodhart (Goodhart's Law)​

I've heard a related idea stated as "That which is measured improves" but I don't know the source. So be very careful to measure the thing you really want improved.

“Space is a rather large place”
- bill Bryson in a short history of nearly everything

Ps I read that book when I was 4 or 5, I thought it was a children’s book.

“Space is a rather large place”
- bill Bryson in a short history of nearly everything

Ps I read that book when I was 4 or 5, I thought it was a children’s book.
This immediately brings to mind a bit from the first Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book: "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

"When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go."​
CAROL BURNETT​

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."​
WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD​

“I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.” Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

“The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn.” Bertrand Russell (1872–1970)

“Time is what we want most, but what we use worst”-William Penn (1644-1718)

“For every minute spent organizing an hour is earned”-Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

"Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be."-Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk”-Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

“Time is really the only capital that any human being has, and the only thing he can’t afford to lose”–Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

“You can't shake hands with a clenched fist."-Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)

"science ... history of learning how not to fool ourselves"-Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

"How does a project get a year behind ...? One day at a time"-Fred Brooks, Jr (1931-)

"mistrust arguments from authority"-Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

"Writing is nature's way of telling us how lousy our thinking is" Leslie Lamport

"Do or do not - there is no try"-Yoda (198?-?)

"Hardware can develop bugs, but software is born with errors"-(I’d be amazed if others haven’t previously stated similar) Richard Booth

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it”-Aristotle (384-322 BC)-FAKE Quotation-possibly misquote by Lowell L. Bennion

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. "​
ELEANOR ROOSEVELT​
Well, that's an interesting notion; in light of the gravity of recent events though, I think it's important to consider the qualities of the people involved.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."​
VOLTAIRE​

Latest posts

Back