Dedicated Photography Discussion Thread- Cameras,Lens,Techniques. Post your photography pics too.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobie1dog

Sea Killer rocket
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is for all of us photography geeks that just cannot get enough of looking at great pictures and trying to find out how the pictures were taken. So post up your personal photographs and then describe what equipment that you used and the settings that resulted in your photograph. Pictures can be of portraits, wildlife, rockets,etc.

I would have to take a picture of m,y picture at this point. How I did it and with what lens and camera is long forgotten.
Just divorced I needed a photo for the class I was taking. I couldn’t envision the bowl of apples or some such.
I decided to go a more humorous route and came up with this.
I call it “ A bachelor’s night out.”
Sorry for any glare, it is under glass and kinda hard o get it in focus.
Edit: Looking at he photo again, I do remember the only lighting I used was from the candles.IMG_0057.jpeg

Last edited:
When I was in college, for an art class: we had to sketch (in pencil) an egg, on a while plate, with one light source..

I put a few entries in different categories in a show years ago. Ended up with five firsts, two seconds and a third. And print of the show. That print went on to get equal second in a national comp. It was a photo of a gum tree.

I joined a club for a while but got too distracted by an engineering degree and skiing.

Macro and other close-up work was/is my passion, but I also shot many other subjects, including a few weddings.

Sunsets. I shoot plenty of sunsets. Mostly at sea.

Attachments

• DG Sunset.jpg
    DG Sunset.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201022_0909125_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20201022_0909125_rewind.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Most of the photography I do these days is at rocket launches. After some experimenting I settled on shutter speed of about 1/2500, aperture of around f5.6, and let the camera body set the ISO to suit the conditions. My biggest problem is I don't have control of the light- where we set up to launch dictates the direction of the sun and frequently I've got a little bit of backlight.
Otherwise I take photos on my jeeping trips. I'm not patient enough to do real landscape photography but I get plenty of snapshots.2439-DSC_8537r.jpg
dsc_0698r-jpg.628984

Attachments

• DSC_0698r.jpg
    DSC_0698r.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
one fun this I do, is (with a long-ish exposure) is twist the barrel on a zoom while shooting..

sometimes you get creepy, but cool results!

Mathieu_9459.JPG mathieu_9463.JPG

And on other nights when teh power goes out.. I always have some sparklers to play with.

The wife & I love doing these, but they are much harder than you'd think.. lo-oo-oong exposures, like, 30 seconds.. tiny aperture, like f16, and low ISO: 100 or so..

_MG_8690.JPG _MG_8691.JPG

Doisneau captured Picasso drawing a bull.. was always an inspiration for this type of photography

1707277117242.png

found another one..

powerout_6937.JPG

Last edited:
One of my favorite fall images. Echo Canyon Bridge at McCormick’s Creek State Park. Spencer, Indiana. I took this one standing in the water to get the view I wanted. I used a polarizing filter on a wide angle lens (Tamron 12-24mm) for this shot. I needed the filter to tamp down the bright trees so I could get details of the canyon.

Attachments

• echo_canyon_102209_026_8x10 copy.jpeg
    echo_canyon_102209_026_8x10 copy.jpeg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Taken with a pocket camera, held about knee height. I have this image printed as a 20x24 hanging on a wall in my house. Turkey Run State Park in Indiana, October.

Attachments

• 101810_TurkeyrRun_016 copy.jpg
    101810_TurkeyrRun_016 copy.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
In today's world it is amazing what cell phones and pocket cameras are capable of
People sometimes ask me why I carry around a "large" camera (which isn't really all that big) when they just have their phone camera. I usually take on a smug attitude (just for the comedy) and say "A phone takes snapshots. I take photographs." 😂 But you're right. Phones can do some really cool things, in the right circumstances. But I don't have a smartphone, so I'm stuck with my camera bag.

Last edited:
The camera I have is always better than the one I left at home. Filters and other tools can improve a photo, but ultimately they don't make a great photo--it's all about a great eye and knowing what makes a photo interesting to our eyes. Cameras don't make that.

Interesting flames from a trash barrel created this image
I often do firepit shots.. I have some amazing ones with the use of those coloured crystals you add to the flames..

Long-ish exposure with the sparks / flying embers also make for some neat trails!

One of my favorite fall images. Echo Canyon Bridge at McCormick’s Creek State Park. Spencer, Indiana. I took this one standing in the water to get the view I wanted. I used a polarizing filter on a wide angle lens (Tamron 12-24mm) for this shot. I needed the filter to tamp down the bright trees so I could get details of the canyon.
Graduated filter instead.. Get the larges one you can, so that you can put the 'line' where you want it..

I have this Cokin one, but I must admit, I have one and rarely use it. No need for the holder & stuff, just hold it in front of the lens..

I used to scoff at smartphones being used as cameras. But then I realized having the best MILC or DSLR means nothing if you don't have it ready to go with the right glass and the right settings at the right time. In other words, "the best tool is the tool you have when you need it."

There's also the fact that the cameras in current generation smartphones are so advanced now.

Chuck:
after seeing those pictures, I may not post anything that I've taken :eek:

Nah, don't do that. Everyone is on their own journey. They key is to enjoy that journey and not compare yours with anyone else's. That's something I'm still trying to live by; depending on your personality it isn't easy.

Latest posts

Back