OR Q

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
OK, so PM me as soon as you think I lost my mind.
I designed a High altitude, MD 2 stage rocket. Bottom Stage is a K185, or for a test flight an I285. Top stage is a D7. I light the bottom stage, then it burns out, coasts for 4 seconds, lights the top stage, drops away, and then deploys a streamer. The top stage, when it ignites, races up. Only problem is, I exceeded OR simulation limits. Could someone tell me what it would do with a program like RS? I am too cheap to get RS, and I already got Trial Version.
Thanks
Oh, PS, I am getting sponsored for this one.

View attachment High altitude 2-stage.ork

There are many problems with the design, deeper than the fact that it won't work in OR. Such a long tube, especially one made of cardboard, will buckle under the forces. If you are going for altitude, why add extra weight and drag by making it longer? Also, I know this was probably a mistake, but cardboard fins just won't work. If you simulate just the booster with a nosecone on and shortened to a reasonable length, it can go to more than 10,000 feet. Do you have a tracker? The fins are huge for surface mount, and would likely be snapped off on a hard landing.

Shouldn't actually be exceeding any OR limits...more likely a parameter that is conflicting.

Attached is a REALLY rough model I was using to look at some sim properties and it is similar in power...

View attachment Max-Alt-2-Stage.ork

OK, so PM me as soon as you think I lost my mind.
I designed a High altitude, MD 2 stage rocket. Bottom Stage is a K185, or for a test flight an I285. Top stage is a D7. I light the bottom stage, then it burns out, coasts for 4 seconds, lights the top stage, drops away, and then deploys a streamer. The top stage, when it ignites, races up. Only problem is, I exceeded OR simulation limits. Could someone tell me what it would do with a program like RS? I am too cheap to get RS, and I already got Trial Version.
Thanks
Oh, PS, I am getting sponsored for this one.

Uhhh...why is your booster 180" long?!?! Just because you CAN do something in software (or in real life for that matter) doesn't mean you SHOULD...

Hi,

The reason it's exceeding simulation limits is because the rocket is unstable. This is an extreme example of wind-caused instability, which is the stumbling block of long, skinny rockets.

At zero angle of attack the rocket has a stability margin of 3 cal, but already at 3 degrees AOA it's unstable by 0.5 cal, and at 10 degrees it's at -6 cal. You can see this by using the component analysis dialog. Skinny rockets may easily need 5-15 calibers of static stability margin to be truly stable, and this design takes it to a whole new extreme.

I'll investigate a bit further on what limits are being hit and why...

Regards,
Sampo N.

Back