StratoSpear: 38mm 3-stage for complex L record attempt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Things are lining up for me this year to have another go at a 38mm 3-stage rocket at BALLS.

I have my motors, the complete second stage, and back half of the sustainer. I need to make a new nosecone and chute cannon for the sustainer, and the booster stage. I'm simulating different motor options.

One goal is to stay within K total impulse for the K multi-stage record. For that, I would use:

AT I1299 booster. 46 Gs and 150 feet/second out of the tower to minimize weathercocking.
CTI J530 second stage. Get all the impulse you can in this size.
CTI J420 sustainer. If the ignition delays are long enough, the peak speed will be about Mach 2.69 at 21,000 feet.
The total impulse would be 2546 Ns, just under the max 2560 for the K impulse class.

RASAero2 has the max altitude at about 57,000 feet. This would be a substantial improvement over the current K complex record of 24,242.

If that flight is successful and survives, I'm tempted to try an all-out 38mm max altitude attempt. For that I would use a longer first stage so that I could fly:

CTI J530 booster
CTI J530 2nd stage
CTI J420 sustainer.

RASAero predicts north of 80,000 feet for that configuration, but the sustainer would reach just under Mach 3 at about 30,000 feet, and I'm a little worried about my nosecone and fins surviving that. I have had a nosecone implode flying a single stage J530 in a light MD rocket, and once I had the tip-to-tip layer peel off when flying with a J570. On a 2-stage flight in Argonia in 2019 I was flying with a relatively heavy and draggy nosecone, and the top speed was just under 2000 feet/sec at 13,000 feet with no issues. 3000 feet/sec at 30,000 feet is probably a lot worse.

For the airstart logic, I'll be flying prototypes of the Blue Raven altimeter, which has tilt sensing. My plan is to use the onboard measured tilt as the main ignition criteria. This is different than the usual method of using altitude or time for the ignition criteria, and then inhibiting the ignition if the tilt is too high. From what I have seen so far, the optimum ignition delays for max altitude result in tilt at ignition around 12-18 degrees, all of which lead to tolerable horizontal recovery distances for the Black Rock Desert. The airstart ignition logic would be along the lines of:

If altitude > 2000 feet and speed < 800 feet/sec and tilt > 14 deg and tilt < 30 degrees then ignite the sustainer. The second stage ignition would be similar but with tighter angles. The idea here is to ignite at a known tilt, while the velocity and altitude at ignition will depend on how straight the boost is. The minimum tilt would correspond to optimum altitude, and the maximum tilt would correspond to staying within the recovery area. If the rocket is going off at a moderately bad angle from the start, then when it slows down enough to meet the velocity criteria, it could be within the acceptable tilt window for ignition already, so I need to pick a velocity that will result in survivable top speed for the sustainer. For a really bad initial angle, the ignition would be inhibited altogether because the tilt would already be more than the max allowable by the time it slows down below the velocity threshold.

1658858502285.png

1658858565355.png

Last edited:
This looks like an epic flight!

I feel like I'm missing something about the airstart logic. Why would the optimum altitude be when you have ignition on a tilt angle of several degrees? Wouldn't you want to be flying as vertical as possible to get optimum altitude? I like the possibility of having the primary ignition criteria be velocity and tilt, though. That seems like it gives a lot more flexibility in tuning your coast time and not getting too fast.

This looks like an epic flight!

I feel like I'm missing something about the airstart logic. Why would the optimum altitude be when you have ignition on a tilt angle of several degrees? Wouldn't you want to be flying as vertical as possible to get optimum altitude? I like the possibility of having the primary ignition criteria be velocity and tilt, though. That seems like it gives a lot more flexibility in tuning your coast time and not getting too fast.
The longer you wait for ignition, the slower the rocket is going (less drag) and the higher the rocket starts (also less drag due to thinner atmosphere). But tilt builds up the longer you wait, so that's where the tradeoff is. A tilt of 10 degrees causes only about 1.5% loss in vertical velocity. If you play with ignition delays in RASAero, you can see the competing effects.

The longer you wait for ignition, the slower the rocket is going (less drag) and the higher the rocket starts (also less drag due to thinner atmosphere). But tilt builds up the longer you wait, so that's where the tradeoff is. A tilt of 10 degrees causes only about 1.5% loss in vertical velocity. If you play with ignition delays in RASAero, you can see the competing effects.
OK, that seems reasonable. Would it make sense to have a "backup" criteria so that the motor lights if vertical velocity was less than (say) 200 ft/s and tilt was less than X degrees? This would cover the edge case where you get a super-straight boost and it holds that nicely. I'm sure that's highly unlikely, but it would be nice to still fire the upper stages if you got that lucky.

OK, that seems reasonable. Would it make sense to have a "backup" criteria so that the motor lights if vertical velocity was less than (say) 200 ft/s and tilt was less than X degrees? This would cover the edge case where you get a super-straight boost and it holds that nicely. I'm sure that's highly unlikely, but it would be nice to still fire the upper stages if you got that lucky.
Yes, the new Blue Raven will have 2 sets of criteria for each channel, where either one will fire. Some minimum speed is a good idea, because when a rocket is very straight, the flight angle changes quickly near apogee. I could have the backup use burnout count, speed < maybe 150, no minimum tilt angle, and a maximum tilt angle like before. In the unlikely event it's going so straight that the minimum tilt angle for the primary doesn't happen by the time it slows down to 150, then the stage will ignite.

Can you elaborate a bit on the motor choices for the all out 38mm version? When I think of high performance 38mm motors, I tend to think of the Loki 38/1200 reloads and the Aerotech J510.

Can you elaborate a bit on the motor choices for the all out 38mm version? When I think of high performance 38mm motors, I tend to think of the Loki 38/1200 reloads and the Aerotech J510.
Good point. The 2nd stage is only built to accommodate the 6GXL-ish case size, but the J510 might be a good choice for the first stage since I haven't built that stage yet anyway. I just tried it, and it adds about 600 feet as compared to the J530. I don't have that case or reload in hand, so at first blush it's not a very attractive option for me personally. But if I want to go after the J single-stage record, I should consider getting it.

Good point. The 2nd stage is only built to accommodate the 6GXL-ish case size, but the J510 might be a good choice for the first stage since I haven't built that stage yet anyway. I just tried it, and it adds about 600 feet as compared to the J530. I don't have that case or reload in hand, so at first blush it's not a very attractive option for me personally. But if I want to go after the J single-stage record, I should consider getting it.
It sounds like it's getting discontinued, so don't wait to long if want a J510.

the top speed was just under 2000 feet/sec at 13,000 feet with no issues. 3000 feet/sec at 30,000 feet is probably a lot worse.
I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption. I've attached a table of air density values. Air density at 30,000 feet is ~21% of the air density at 20,000 feet; pretty thin air up there, highest than Mt. Everest.

Untitled.jpg

What does the Loki J1026 cocktail motor sim at in the first stage ? That is by far the best booster motor for instant on / instant off full J impulse. Mass is a bit more the CTI though.

Thanks for the tip on the Loki motors. The J1000 would be great for the first stage, and it's currently purchasable. I don't have any Loki motor info in my OpenRocket or RASAero currently, but it looks like it would be worth putting in there. It would be kinda pricey but none of this BALLS trip is going to be cheap.

Adrian,

Will definitely look into the Blue Raven for similar projects.
Good luck at Balls.

Curious as to what you use to push out the parachutes at altitude. A CO2 system? And are you protecting the e-bay for low temperatures at altitude, especially the batteries? Do your electronics still function at -40C?

Also, seeing that Barometric altimeters lose some accuracy at extreme altitudes, are you relying on the GPS fix to determine maximum altitude (to determine the record)? Do you use GPS data to sense apogee, so that you don't have to rely on the Barometer?

Last edited:
A Raven with tilt sensing... man, I am very much looking forward to the Blue Raven!
And fully accessible from your phone with a custom mobile app!
Adrian,

Will definitely look into the Blue Raven for similar projects.
Good luck at Balls.

Curious as to what you use to push out the parachutes at altitude. A CO2 system?
At altitude, I'll be pushing off the nosecone with my standard way of doing charges, sealing the BP in a cardboard tube with epoxy at both ends. My understanding of the issue at altitude is that when the atmosphere is low density, heat has a hard time transferring from one BP particle to the next, so you need to have containment of the gas and particles to get a complete ignition. Surgical tubing has been proven to work, and is what I have done on a 32,000 foot flight of mine in a larger rocket. Where the charge will go on this rocket, the volume is extremely limited, so I think I will stick with my epoxy-capped cardboard tubes (launch lugs) and probably do some extra wrapping with electrical tape to keep everything together when the cardboard ruptures. At Airfest in 2019, I flew a 2-stage 38mm rocket to 33,000 feet, but the apogee charge failed and so I had a high-speed deployment of the main. The electronics survived and I was able to see fromt the recorded data that the apogee charge got voltage and current at the right time, but there was no sign of it doing anything on the accelerometer readings, so either the ematch was just a dud, or the charge was undersized, or this altitude problem was the culprit. I wish I remember for sure whether I saw afterwards that the charge blew at all
And are you protecting the e-bay for low temperatures at altitude, especially the batteries? Do your electronics still function at -40C?
On flights like these, the av-bay temperatures tend to stay near room temperature because the aeroheating and the colder atmosphere more or less each other out. Also, there's not enough time to get a lot of temperature change into the mostly-sealed av-bay when the air density is so thin.
Also, seeing that Barometric altimeters lose some accuracy at extreme altitudes, are you relying on the GPS fix to determine maximum altitude (to determine the record)? Do you use GPS data to sense apogee, so that you don't have to rely on the Barometer?
I'll be using a Featherweight GPS tracker on the flight, but I'm not planning on having communication between the tracker and the Blue Raven working in time for this BALLS this year (though Bluetooth comm between the two within the rocket that is on the future feature list). Instead, the Blue Raven detects apogee with a 2-of-3 vote of 3 independent sensors, where the 3 votes are 90 degree pitch sensed by the gyros, an accelerometer-only velocity estimate (similar to the Raven 4), and barometric sensing of pressure increasing, with a velocity lockout. All three should work just fine up for apogee detection to 100,000 feet, and the gyro and accel votes will still work at any altitude.

The Loki 1200 case motor choices look really good. Maybe I should just focus on the L complex record.

1658951478106.png

I have been worried about aeroheating, so I did I quick analysis that I think is useful. All of the energy from aeroheating comes from drag, with peak power given by drag force x velocity. The peak drag force for the J420 was 12.75 lbs, when it was going 2824 feet/second. Convert some units and multiply, and you get 45 kW of power heating up the airframe. I disabled the two boosters and ran the sim as if I were flying it as a single stage, where I have a little more comparison for survivability, and the peak drag went up to 27.5 lbs, while the peak speed went down to 2285 feet/second. The total was 78.1 kW of drag power, i.e. worse than flying the same stage as a sustainer. I'm taking a harder look now at the K1127-K1127-J530 configuration. It's a bit of a challenge because the 2nd stage was built for a shorter motor, but since I oversized the fins at the time, it seems o.k. for stability hanging the motor way out the back. There would be 6" of overlap of the 2nd stage motor and the first stage, and the first stage airframe would need to be 3 feet long to accommodate one K1127, 6" of another one, plus electronics and chute.

This sounds like a great project, Adrian. It should make for some awesome test data for your new electronics too. Have fun with it!

Thanks, Bryan. On the Loki J1000 page I saw a picture of a 38mm rocket of yours on the way to Mach 2.8. How did that go?
That was a J1026 flight & that motor is awesome. It was an amazing launch and acceleration...then after it was out of sight, it tumbled at 2.8M. I couldn't see it them, so maybe just did a really violent wag. Whatever it was, the deceleration maxed out the TeleMetrum's accelerometer a few times...then it recovered & kept going up. That rocket was a sub-min diameter record attempt bird, but it obviously didn't break any records. I don't have the exact rocket specs with me, but it was roughly about 12oz heavier than the motor by itself. The acceleration made quite a few people laugh, even from the far pad at Delamar.

The rocket wasn't at Mach 2.8 for very long, but it came back completely unscathed. Unfortunately, the flight wasn't very good for construction technique data gathering. Well, except that I needed it to be more stable. IIRC, RasAero said it was ~1.5-2.0 calibers stable at 2.8M, but OR said it was pretty neutral.

I decided to not trust OR at that Mach number, but a better technique is probably to trust whatever the worst case is. A long, skinny rocket probably should have more stability than I gave it too. I haven't gone back & run any CFD on that config, but I'd like to. I'm not sure if Solidworks' CFD will give a decent CP, but maybe?

Last edited:
At altitude, I'll be pushing off the nosecone with my standard way of doing charges, sealing the BP in a cardboard tube with epoxy at both ends. My understanding of the issue at altitude is that when the atmosphere is low density, heat has a hard time transferring from one BP particle to the next, so you need to have containment of the gas and particles to get a complete ignition. Surgical tubing has been proven to work, and is what I have done on a 32,000 foot flight of mine in a larger rocket. Where the charge will go on this rocket, the volume is extremely limited, so I think I will stick with my epoxy-capped cardboard tubes (launch lugs) and probably do some extra wrapping with electrical tape to keep everything together when the cardboard ruptures. At Airfest in 2019, I flew a 2-stage 38mm rocket to 33,000 feet, but the apogee charge failed and so I had a high-speed deployment of the main.
You're not using a CO2 system?

This gives me an idea, though, to make a nosecone ejection piston that goes on top of the chute cannon. I think a small piston could ensure containment and a complete combustion. My chute cannon will be a 24mm FG tube, and I could put a small additional section on top.

For BP charges at high altitudes, I recommend this thread, in particular posts #6 and #8 from Jim and Tony:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/high-altitude-recovery.133135/
We're using Tony's method that worked well in vakuum chamber testing and multiple flights up to 40kft (hopefully more at BALLS).
We also tested bursting latex tube charges in vacuum chambers, and they didn't work well in that environment. I suspect, the BP a fraction of the BP is enough to burst the tube, which extinguishes the combustion either because of the rapid pressure drop or because the remaining BP gets scattered. I also suspect this could be countered by having bigger tubing with some air inside that can absorb more combustion gases before bursting, but we haven't tested that.
As has been noted in the linked thread, bursting latex tube charges seem to work better in flight than in vacuum chambers.

Reinhard

For BP charges at high altitudes, I recommend this thread, in particular posts #6 and #8 from Jim and Tony:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/high-altitude-recovery.133135/
We're using Tony's method that worked well in vakuum chamber testing and multiple flights up to 40kft (hopefully more at BALLS).
We also tested bursting latex tube charges in vacuum chambers, and they didn't work well in that environment. I suspect, the BP a fraction of the BP is enough to burst the tube, which extinguishes the combustion either because of the rapid pressure drop or because the remaining BP gets scattered. I also suspect this could be countered by having bigger tubing with some air inside that can absorb more combustion gases before bursting, but we haven't tested that.
As has been noted in the linked thread, bursting latex tube charges seem to work better in flight than in vacuum chambers.

Reinhard
Hey Reinhard, what size rocket are you guys flying? I'm curious if you're able to adjust them for smaller rockets. Tony's charges are great. But so far I'm worried they're not well suited for small rockets like this due to the fact that they are VERY energetic and a bit too long and bulky.

At ~30,000' in a 38 or 54mm rocket the smaller charges work fine. Especially when recovery items are packed so tight you need shear pins just to keep the rocket together. 😬🤞

Sorry Adrian if I'm hijacking your thread a bit, but I hope we can all learn a bit here.

Thanks!

Hey Reinhard, what size rocket are you guys flying? I'm curious if you're able to adjust them for smaller rockets. Tony's charges are great. But so far I'm worried they're not well suited for small rockets like this due to the fact that they are VERY energetic and a bit too long and bulky.

At ~30,000' in a 38 or 54mm rocket the smaller charges work fine. Especially when recovery items are packed so tight you need shear pins just to keep the rocket together. 😬🤞

Sorry Adrian if I'm hijacking your thread a bit, but I hope we can all learn a bit here.

Thanks!
The sustainer OD is 75mm, on the booster it's 98mm. The tip of the ~6:1 nosecone contains the backup tracker, the rest contains the somewhat bulky drogue (Rocketman Kevlar chute) and shock cords. The more compact main chute (Iris UL) in deployment bag + charges + line cutters are in the nose cone coupler, which is shear pinned to the nose cone, and bolted to the rest of the airframe. Because the Kevlar chute tends to jam, if you push it too hard into the ogive nose cone, it is not packed overly tight.

The tests were performed in a vacuum chamber that was significantly bigger and otherwise empty (no laundry). I don't remember the dimensions, but likely something in the neighborhood of 3"-4" diameter and 3'-4' length. So the test volume was quite different from a packed 38-54mm rocket.

As far as I can tell, Tony's charges are not extremely energetic. I consider them more of a nozzle-less very fast end burning motor instead of a bursting charge. But that's only based on my not very rigorous reasoning. I don't have data to characterize the dynamics of either charge type.

Reinhard

Latest posts

Back