eggStation - an eggTimer ground station software build thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s awesome! I tried to get a screen recording of mine, but the snipping tool just kept closing itself.

Seeing in action, I think I might spend some time on keeping the status bars from reverting to neutral when a particular packet it decoded, and only update what was received.

Also, I’ve thought of starting a new thread just for flight reports like this. Separate from the build/updates thread. But right now there’s just the three of us.

Last edited:
Refurb Dell Latitude 7212 Rugged Win10 I-5 tablet with 1000 NIT full daylight display for $219 this weekend (June 24-25) with free shipping. At this price they are cheaper than buying on eBay and come with a 100 day warranty. This is the same model I used at Potter, NY with AIM and EggTimers (see previous video post). New these cost over $2K. USB interface with a hub for multiple EggTimer USB dongles has no problems with the USB drivers. Note the $399 "A" condition ones get a 45% off discount, the lower priced "B" condition models get a 35% discount, so buying the more expensive "A" condition at $399 will cost the same or less than a "B" condition unit. Discount code is "HOTJUNEDEALS". Link to the Dell Refurb tablet page:

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/ite...7212-rugged-2-in-1-tablet-000031&/=&template=

1687641643642.png

I am planning to put together an eggStation "box" to connect to a laptop at launches. I understand others have done this, so I am hoping I can get some clarification on what hardware I need.

Right now, I have the following:
  • Single stage rocket ebay:
    • Eggfinder (GPS-TX)
    • Proton with OpenLog breakout
    • Quantum (part of redundant deployment system)
  • In a BlackAero case (handheld operation):
    • LCD-Receiver
    • LCD-GPS module
    • Voice module
My plan would be to add a Telemetry module (for the Proton) to the ebay and use my phone as a hotspot for Internet connection on the laptop. I would create an “Eggstation box” with the following:
  • RX Dongle Receiver with USB to serial cable (telemetry data)
  • LCD-Receiver (or RX Dongle??) with USB to serial cable (GPS data)
  • Voice module with 3.5mm jack for headphones, plus an audio to USB adapter to the PC (playback and audio recording)
  • Power
Am I on the right path, overall? Would I add the LCD-Receiver or a second RX Dongle, instead? Does anyone have a block diagram they are willing to share?

Thanks!

Atestani -

Attached is a PowerPoint concept diagram converted to a .pdf that I put together last year, haven't had the time to do the electronic drafting for a CNC machine yet. This is set up for a two-stage that I will be building. The left hand antennas labeled "GPS 915 MHz" will be receiving from Quasars, the 70cm will be for the sustainer with a Proton & telemetry module. These three are USB dongles. The Voice Synth is the hand held receiver electronics with a voice module fed into a small amplifier to drive the speaker. I may also feed the audio into the video recording program running on the tablet so its synced. The iPhone is teathered via WiFi to the tablet, and the keyboard is a Blutooth to USB connection. That is basically the set up I used for the test at Potter NY last year (but just for a single stage) which is in the link posted last year to the YouTube video.

Hope that helps.

Bill S.

Attachments

• eggStation console concept diagram.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
schworer-
Yes, this is helpful... thanks. One question is for the "USB dongle" receivers. Are they all "RX dongles with the USB cable" receiving telemetry or GPS data? I hadn't thought about using the voice output from the handheld receiver. That's an interesting idea.

If I made the eggStation self-sufficient with its own voice module, I would need an LCD-Receiver to feed it, right? It seems I could also use that receiver to feed GPS data to a USBtoSerial adapter?

schworer-
Yes, this is helpful... thanks. One question is for the "USB dongle" receivers. Are they all "RX dongles with the USB cable" receiving telemetry or GPS data? I hadn't thought about using the voice output from the handheld receiver. That's an interesting idea.

If I made the eggStation self-sufficient with its own voice module, I would need an LCD-Receiver to feed it, right? It seems I could also use that receiver to feed GPS data to a USBtoSerial adapter?
2 USB dongles receiving GPS data on separate frequencies (for a two stage, otherwise just one USB dongle), 1 USB dongle receiving telemetry. Yes, you would need the the LCD receiver to feed a voice module. I doubt you could use the LCD receiver to feed any data to a USB to serial adapter without having to spend way more time and effort to build & code something then the simple $35 cost of another USB dongle receiver.

2 USB dongles receiving GPS data on separate frequencies (for a two stage, otherwise just one USB dongle), 1 USB dongle receiving telemetry. Yes, you would need the the LCD receiver to feed a voice module. I doubt you could use the LCD receiver to feed any data to a USB to serial adapter without having to spend way more time and effort to build & code something then the simple $35 cost of another USB dongle receiver.
That's a good point! I wonder if I can add an HC-06 Bluetooth module and pair it with the laptop for communicating GPS data to the Eggstation software? Otherwise, I'll use an RX/USB Dongle. Cris and/or Charles, would you advise on that, please?

You can use the 4-pin connector on the LCD receiver to feed a USB-Serial cable/dongle just as easily as the Bluetooth module (actually, it's easier). I do it all the time for testing, using VisualGPS View.

I have a bluetooth module in the LCD receiver. That way I can connect to the laptop and still have a field portable receiver to carry on the recovery trek. you could do the same with a USB cable hanging out, for sure.

It's a lot of COM ports. They occasionally behave oddly. My HC06 registers 2 COM ports, for example, but only one is 'real'.

It's a lot of COM ports. They occasionally behave oddly. My HC06 registers 2 COM ports, for example, but only one is 'real'.

I hear you on the USB COM ports and have read about others who have had similar problems. Windows has had these problem since Win95. I had a procedure I used by editing the Registry that I will try to find. You may also be able to use Device Manager while viewing hidden devices to delete the duplicate devices or just clean it all up and start over. I haven't had to do that so I don't know if it works.

Another thing I have found useful is to see what USB devices are actually connected vs those that have enumerated properly. I use this (free) one:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I haven't tried the BT06 with Windows for probably 10 years... probably under Windows 7. I would assume (hope?) that Windows 11 handles it better.

I *think* I understand this now. Attached is a first pass at a high-level block diagram. Comments/criticisms welcome.

Attachments

• EggStation System-Block Diagram.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I beginning to order parts for this. I would appreciate getting any advice on if I have it correct. Thanks!
What parts are you ordering?

I reread this thread just recently, and something I'd like to re-iterate is that eggStation works best in a team setting, or to review later. If you're a 1-2 person launch crew, the Voice Module uses a brain channel that's not as busy during launch and flight - when eyes should be on the rocket, not the screen.

If you're flying a logging flight computer, you've got higher time-resolution data after flight.
If you're running GPS to a logger, you'd have the same for position.

But it is quite informative to watch GPS during descent - you learn a lot about both descent and GPS reception.

I still think mag-mount antennas are a good idea for channels coming in over dongle receivers.
And the value of a high brightness screen probably can't be understated.

I totally agree about eyes on the rocket, etc.. My main objective is to record audio and video for review later. I am also very interested in log playback when you get to that. The other motivation is that I think this is a super cool project and I'm doing it just for fun.

In terms of parts I've ordered or am ordering:
Eggtimer stuff:
- Telemetry Module
- LCD-RX
- Voice Module
- RX Dongle
Other stuff:
- (2) USB to serial adapters (with CP2102 chips)
- Audio to USB adapter (aka sound card)
- USB hub
- 5V-9V DC-DC converter (powers everything in the box from USB)
- looking for mag-mount antennas now

Anything else I would have in stock, such as an enclosure, mounting hardware, etc.

Back