Attempt towards an amateur orbital rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not say that. I ran some quick and dirty sims in Openmotor with a different design and came up with around a 20% difference between sea level and vacuum ISP, and applied that to several different commercial motors. The M2050 has a very high sea level ISP of 245s, and if given a larger nozzle may have a 290s vacuum isp, but that is a very rough guess, and I would not bet any money on it.

Again, you have disregarded the mass and complexity of every single system of the rocket outside of the motors. Your fantasies have little to no basis in reality.

I am certain that a sane analysis of a rocket using solid rocket motors with a usable payload of around a 3U cubesat would end up converging on something very similar to the SS-520, which is far beyond the capabilities of any amateur group. Nobody that can manufacture literal tons of APCP is an amateur.

The SS-520 is in the 650 to 1 gross mass to payload range. So a 1 kg payload would be in the range of a 650 kg rocket. Amateurs have made 200 kg rockets, so 650 kg is conceivable.

The Aerotech commercial motor K1103 does have a 290s vacuum Isp using their “Propellant X” formulation“ (fact sheet attached). So their other Propellant X motors the M2050 and the O5280 likely can have 290s vacuum Isp with the right sized vacuum nozzles.

Bob Clark

Attachments

• rcs_8627x_propellant_data.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
The SS-520 is in the 650 to 1 gross mass to payload range. So a 1 kg payload would be in the range of a 650 kg rocket. Amateurs have made 200 kg rockets, so 650 kg is conceivable.
How do you propose to maintain SS-520-5's ratio of propellant to structural mass as you scale it down, whilst also maintaining the pressure required to attain the specific impulse of its stages?

How do you propose to maintain SS-520-5's ratio of propellant to structural mass as you scale it down, whilst also maintaining the pressure required to attain the specific impulse of its stages?

These amateurs achieved at least 0.7 propellant fraction with small motors:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...er-than-suborbital.175851/page-2#post-2351898
This amateur achieved 75% propellant fraction with a small motor and believes this could be raised 20% which would bring it to the 90% range:

Low-Cost Applications of Composite Pressure Vessels in Solid Rocket Motor Design

JUNE 21, 2019 BY ADMIN

Riley Meik and Andy George, School of Technology

On the morning of March 16th, the rocket motor was tested at an approved area in Mona, Utah. The test was a full success. Pressure, temperature, and thrust data were all recorded. With 30 pounds of solid rocket propellant and a propellant mass fraction of 0.75, the motor produced a total impulse of 30,000 N•s with an Isp of 130 s. This was the most efficient student-built solid rocket motor ever tested. However, the most considerable feat was the price of $1,500 for the development of the rocket motor.

Figure 3: Test Launch

The motor was then integrated into a rocket for flight testing. On June 19th, the rocket was launched from Spaceport America in New Mexico. The rocket motor performed perfectly. However, due to high aerodynamic stress, the rockets four fins were lost on ascent. All components of the rocket were recovered, including flight electronics. The rocket reached a maximum velocity of 3.5 Mach and a maximum acceleration of 60 G before the failure.

Improvements to the current rocket motor design continue today. The next rocket motor has an even more simple design but a large increase in performance. With no metal components, the weight of the rocket motor will be reduced significantly and the propellant mass fraction will increase by 20%.

As rocket motor efficiency and cost-effectiveness increase, so will accessibility to space. We aim to continue our research and develop a rocket motor capable of lofting a vehicle into space. As the first student-built rocket to reach space, it will prove that space is not limited solely to those with bottomless budgets. And as space becomes commoditized, advancements in both space and earth technologies will increase at a booming rate.

http://jur.byu.edu/?p=24178
Bob Clark

Assuming that you can stuff enough propellant into the rocket to get it to orbital velocity, how are you going to steer it to the proper attitude during flight?

Assuming that you can stuff enough propellant into the rocket to get it to orbital velocity, how are you going to steer it to the proper attitude during flight?

The earliest U.S. rocket to orbit that launched the satellite Explorer 1 did not use active guidance but spin stabilization. This meant it could not be put in a precise orbit. Later developments allowed active guidance to be used to deliver payloads to precise orbits.

If an amateur team can deliver a rocket to orbit, I have little doubt they can develop the avionics for active guidance.

Bob Clark

The earliest U.S. rocket to orbit that launched the satellite Explorer 1 did not use active guidance but spin stabilization. This meant it could not be put in a precise orbit. Later developments allowed active guidance to be used to deliver payloads to precise orbits.

If an amateur team can deliver a rocket to orbit, I have little doubt they can develop the avionics for active guidance.

Bob Clark

The Juno 1 booster of the Explorer 1 stack had a guidance system, courtesy of the original design as an ICBM.

From: http://heroicrelics.org/info/juno/high-speed-stages.html
The upper stages had no guidance system. To help keep the proper attitude, the entire upper-stage cluster was rotated on its long axis for spin stabilization. This rotation also served to minimize the effects of thrust variations between the individual motors of each stage ("thrust dispersion");. The cluster was spun via two electric motors located in the guidance section of the first stage booster.

When someone...anyone....on this list or elsewhere actually attempts an orbital launch using commercial HPR motors, please let me know by sounding an alarm. I'll be taking a nap until this thread literally gets off the ground...............:)

I think this thread is interesting. You do not have to do solids though. Individuals have demonstrated the ability to make regeneratively cooled liquids. http://watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/

I also worked at a company in the Mojave desert that was very good at regeneratively cooled small rocket engines. Once you get that under control, you will have a big piece of the propulsion system ready for orbit.

Solids can still work, but amateurs can certainly branch into other options as well.

Last edited:
I think this thread is interesting. You do not have to do solids though. Individuals have demonstrated the ability to make regeneratively cooled liquids. http://watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/

I also worked at a company in the Mojave desert that was very good at regeneratively cooled small rocket engines. Once you get that under control, you will have a big piece of the propulsion system ready for orbit.

Solids can still work, but amateurs can certainly branch into other options as well.
If your objective is to get there in a small size form, then solids are most likely the best solution. Not only are they generally superior in terms of density Isp, they also don't require additional plumbing and combustion chambers ie. for blow down systems. So, the mass ratio for solids are inherently better than blow down and other pressure fed liquids.
Of course, this equation can change for pump fed liquids, but probably not for *small* pump fed systems where acceptable (for an orbital vehicle) pump efficiency is more difficult to achieve; much like the packing of the pump(s) and turbo machinery (inc gas generation).
Additive manufacturing and an evolution of small (amateur end) liquids might one day tip the balance at this end, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

TP

In order to put anything in orbit, there are some requirements that end up impacting your motor/mass calculations. You should start with these and work backwards…
1) You must have a radio (and associated RF stuff like coax/waveguide and antennas)
2) That radio must be attached to a computer that is capable of executing basic commands…
3) That computer has to be powered (even in eclipse) so you’re going to need a battery…
4) Batteries need charging, the most mass efficient way to do that is some solar arrays (and an EPS)
5) You need a de-orbit device as you have a 2-year limit once your mission is over then down you have to come
If you had a design team with access to professional tools and expertise, you could probably get this all done for about 2 kg. That’s a challenge but doable by a university team in a short timeline and amateurs in 5-6 years.
You can skip #5 above if you have tools to show that you’ll naturally de-orbit within the two year timeframe.

This is the minimum payload. International treaties frown on launching bricks into space so you’ll not get approval without these basics.

So the minimum payload is about 2kg to orbit. You can then use the Rocket Equation to determine the delta-v required and thus the propellant mass. Based on Goddard’s early work, you won’t make it if you don’t have a mass fraction about about 90%. When you’re calculating the mass fraction, you will need to add in the termination system (also required for launch approval) and the guidance system (required for success). Those are not payload items, but count as dead weight in your mass fraction calculation. Staging hardware will also kill your mass fraction.

Could you do this with commercial solid motors…no. The mass fraction doesn’t scale, in fact, it gets worse as you add motors. Could you design a scratch solid only system to do this, sure, I did one for Mars a couple of years ago. But I’d never attempt it for Earth, even as a bucket list item. Its a waste of intellect to even attempt it.

I bet also that you couldn’t do it for less than the ~$100-200K that it takes to buy a 1U cubesat ride to orbit on a ride-share.

If your objective is to get there in a small size form, then solids are most likely the best solution. Not only are they generally superior in terms of density Isp, they also don't require additional plumbing and combustion chambers ie. for blow down systems. So, the mass ratio for solids are inherently better than blow down and other pressure fed liquids.
Of course, this equation can change for pump fed liquids, but probably not for *small* pump fed systems where acceptable (for an orbital vehicle) pump efficiency is more difficult to achieve; much like the packing of the pump(s) and turbo machinery (inc gas generation).
Additive manufacturing and an evolution of small (amateur end) liquids might one day tip the balance at this end, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

TP
Thermal control is one of the hardest parts of high performance rockets. A solid with the necessary delta-v is going to need a lot of insulation. It might be possible to do this with higher thrust and a shorter burn, but that will stress the rocket badly and add weight. I am going to triple down and say the Op @RGClark should make a very detailed design and then start making demo hardware.

Thermal control is one of the hardest parts of high performance rockets. A solid with the necessary delta-v is going to need a lot of insulation.
That's where you utilise your propellant as much as possible to both insulate the casing and provide the propulsion impulse. Also possibly utilise solid gas generation film cooling for nozzle if necessary.

It might be possible to do this with higher thrust and a shorter burn, but that will stress the rocket badly and add weight. I am going to triple down and say the Op @RGClark should make a very detailed design and then start making demo hardware.

I don't think there are too many arguments with that. Don't confuse advice and the providing of facts about high performance propulsion with an advocation of an amateur orbital project.

TP

In order to put anything in orbit, there are some requirements that end up impacting your motor/mass calculations. You should start with these and work backwards…
1) You must have a radio (and associated RF stuff like coax/waveguide and antennas)
2) That radio must be attached to a computer that is capable of executing basic commands…
3) That computer has to be powered (even in eclipse) so you’re going to need a battery…
4) Batteries need charging, the most mass efficient way to do that is some solar arrays (and an EPS)
5) You need a de-orbit device as you have a 2-year limit once your mission is over then down you have to come
If you had a design team with access to professional tools and expertise, you could probably get this all done for about 2 kg. That’s a challenge but doable by a university team in a short timeline and amateurs in 5-6 years.
You can skip #5 above if you have tools to show that you’ll naturally de-orbit within the two year timeframe.

This is the minimum payload. International treaties frown on launching bricks into space so you’ll not get approval without these basics.

So the minimum payload is about 2kg to orbit. You can then use the Rocket Equation to determine the delta-v required and thus the propellant mass. Based on Goddard’s early work, you won’t make it if you don’t have a mass fraction about about 90%. When you’re calculating the mass fraction, you will need to add in the termination system (also required for launch approval) and the guidance system (required for success). Those are not payload items, but count as dead weight in your mass fraction calculation. Staging hardware will also kill your mass fraction.

Could you do this with commercial solid motors…no. The mass fraction doesn’t scale, in fact, it gets worse as you add motors. Could you design a scratch solid only system to do this, sure, I did one for Mars a couple of years ago. But I’d never attempt it for Earth, even as a bucket list item. Its a waste of intellect to even attempt it.

I bet also that you couldn’t do it for less than the ~$100-200K that it takes to buy a 1U cubesat ride to orbit on a ride-share.
1, 2, 3, and 4 can be taken care of for 21 grams if it only needs to transmit long enough to tell you it made it to orbit.
5 comes for free with the orbital altitudes that would be easiest to achieve.

As for the rocket equation mass fraction, you should read the rest of the thread and check out the spreadsheet I put out. The yardstick isn't commercial motors, but customized research motors that an amateur group could produce..

Bob Clark
The electronics for active guidance isn't the hard part, it's the actuation system. Some cold gas thrusters are very small and light but the tank that feeds them isn't. I suspect that thrust vector control could be done in a minimum-diameter rocket with a lot less mass and cost than is commonly expected, but it will be a couple of years before I could prove it.

That's where you utilise your propellant as much as possible to both insulate the casing and provide the propulsion impulse. Also possibly utilise solid gas generation film cooling for nozzle if necessary.

I don't think there are too many arguments with that. Don't confuse advice and the providing of facts about high performance propulsion with an advocation of an amateur orbital project.

TP
No doubt on being clever with the propellant for insulation. The details of that will certainly require development, testing, and tinkering to get that correct. Same thing with liquids. Thermal management is tricky, but by no means impossible.

And extra agreed on your second line :)

1, 2, 3, and 4 can be taken care of for 21 grams if it only needs to transmit long enough to tell you it made it to orbit.
5 comes for free with the orbital altitudes that would be easiest to achieve.

As for the rocket equation mass fraction, you should read the rest of the thread and check out the spreadsheet I put out. The yardstick isn't commercial motors, but customized research motors that an amateur group could produce..

The electronics for active guidance isn't the hard part, it's the actuation system. Some cold gas thrusters are very small and light but the tank that feeds them isn't. I suspect that thrust vector control could be done in a minimum-diameter rocket with a lot less mass and cost than is commonly expected, but it will be a couple of years before I could prove it.
Don't forget valves and powering them. Valves are always tricky in high performance rockets.

Don't forget valves and powering them. Valves are always tricky in high performance rockets.
Valve driver circuits are a little tricky but not that hard (I’ve done it professionally). Tank mass is a bigger issue if you’re trying to see how close an amateur could get to a rocket that could get to orbital velocity. But I think it could be done with just solid rockets and TVC.

Valve driver circuits are a little tricky but not that hard (I’ve done it professionally). Tank mass is a bigger issue if you’re trying to see how close an amateur could get to a rocket that could get to orbital velocity. But I think it could be done with just solid rockets and TVC.
Do you have an example of a valve? Pressure differential, flow rates etc?

The electronics for active guidance isn't the hard part
Not for you, Adrian, you are what we can an “expert” and there are very few of you around! ;)
But I do agree that if you have the firmware/software under control, the RCS will get you. It’s one of the largest non-propellant drivers on the MAV and we worked very hard to try to get rid of it…just couldn’t do it on Mars and there’s almost no wind shear to overcome.

Also, now a days, your radio needs to be able to allow you to be tracked for the entire mission duration or no approval to launch…orbital debris requirements are getting more stringent by the year.

My ham-handed point was that there are a bunch of considerations if you’re going to put something up that isn’t coming right back down and starts off large enough to take out a city block if it crashes in the wrong place.

Moog makes great components! Do you know which of those you will need for a launch vehicle? How many?

I also doubt the empty weight of the final stage will be less than 20 pounds. I would be impressed with 50 pounds. As a reference, a spent M 98 mm reload from Aerotech is about 10 pounds.

I also agree with @RocketPro that you are an expert with electronics and I enjoy your posts on this!

Not for you, Adrian, you are what we can an “expert” and there are very few of you around! ;)
There are several people in the hobby who have designed small electronics around modern chip-scale commercial gyros and successfully propagated attitude knowledge from them. That's as far as I have gotten so far. Some are rocketry electronics manufacturers but others are just people doing it for their own hobby enjoyment. Adding a control loop isn't a big leap from there, and a smaller number have done it with canards for atmospheric flight. To work in a vacuum, the control actuator needs to be a thrust vector controller and/or reaction control jets. A couple of hobbyists have successfully controlled motor thrust direction, but not in a minimum-diameter rocket yet as far as I know.

But I do agree that if you have the firmware/software under control, the RCS will get you. It’s one of the largest non-propellant drivers on the MAV and we worked very hard to try to get rid of it…just couldn’t do it on Mars and there’s almost no wind shear to overcome.
Were you looking at TVC?
Also, now a days, your radio needs to be able to allow you to be tracked for the entire mission duration or no approval to launch…orbital debris requirements are getting more stringent by the year.
Isn't comm loss over certain parts of the world still the norm even for professional launch vehicles? For the radio, I was being pretty hand-wavy with the link to the Featherweight GPS tracker. Something that size is possible, but it needs a GPS receiver that does not have altitude or velocity lockouts. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into those options. The Multitronix Kate has an unlocked GPS, but I don't know if it's driving the larger size for that unit.
My ham-handed point was that there are a bunch of considerations if you’re going to put something up that isn’t coming right back down and starts off large enough to take out a city block if it crashes in the wrong place.
Moog makes great components! Do you know which of those you will need for a launch vehicle? How many?
For me this thread isn't about making a launch vehicle (that delivers a payload) but instead, just poking at what it would take to extend the boundary of amateur rocketry from its current location at the suborbital edge of space, to having part of a rocket orbit at least once around the world. I've always assumed that it's a huge leap, and I don't expect anyone to even make a serious attempt (I'm certainly not planning to myself), but it's interesting to me to do the math and think about what the limiting factors really are, and think if there are ways around them. Yes, getting approval is a real problem and would need to be part of the plan up front for a serious attempt, but since I'm not trying to make a serious attempt I'm content not to worry about it.

Regarding the thruster data sheet, I wouldn't want to use any of them for an amateur shot if I didn't have to. Using only TVC wouldn't control the roll, and a small reaction control system (RCS) for roll might be needed to keep the roll rate low enough for the TVC to keep up. A 3-axis RCS would probably be needed if getting to orbit requires a coast period and a circularization burn. But maybe a minimal orbit might just be able to get away with TVC-only.

Last edited:
Reminder that this is a NON-restricted topic area, open to Internet-wide browsing. Once you get into specifics on how to implement a guidance system, it becomes an ITAR issue. Even if it's just a discussion on the main difficulties and trade-offs, it can be a fuzzy area. Just a heads-up for those who are concerned. No need to start another ITAR discussion (you can search TRF for a lengthy one if you'd like!).

Reminder that this is a NON-restricted topic area, open to Internet-wide browsing. Once you get into specifics on how to implement a guidance system, it becomes an ITAR issue. Even if it's just a discussion on the main difficulties and trade-offs, it can be a fuzzy area. Just a heads-up for those who are concerned. No need to start another ITAR discussion (you can search TRF for a lengthy one if you'd like!).
That is a good point. The details are the hard part of rocketry in my opinion and that is why they are restricted by some governments and often held as trade secrets by companies in the business.

This is the most sensible invocation of ITAR that I’ve seen on TRF.

Hi John, and thanks for the reply. But I'm not sure I agree with you. I wouldn't describe it as a guidance system (which is ITAR) but instead an attitude control system, much like the canard systems featured heavily on other posts in this forum. But I'm willing to be proven wrong, and to my knowledge this page covers ITAR specifics for rockets.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-121

from that page
Note to paragraph (h)(1):

A guidance set integrates the process of measuring and computing a vehicle's position and velocity (i.e., navigation) with that of computing and sending commands to the vehicle's flight control systems to correct the trajectory.
Which I don't think applies here.

Also, and not to drag TRF, but that project has been publicly available on Github for 8 years now and was written and maintained by the Portland State Aerospace Society. Also, PSAS presented this at AIAA Space in 2015. I could be wrong, but I don't expect the project would have remained in a public repo on Github if it was actually ITAR restricted.

Latest posts

Back