Metal Earth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was talking to my wife about this thread, which I didn't know existed until today. We started counting how many I've built. The answer later, but I think I should explain myself first.

I recently retired from the Merchant Marine (working on cargo ships). In the last few years of sailing I discovered these models. They were easy to pack and take with me to sea, and I enjoyed building them at night when I had a little down time. They kept coming out with new ones, and I kept building them. Sent most of them home, but a few I left behind on the ship or gave to some folks that seemed fitting for whatever reason. Here are a few pictures of a few of them that I have scattered about the house. Didn't get pictures of all of them, but you get the idea. Like Ken, I also built the peacock, and it's friend the macaw parrot, and both are a challange. Both are sitting in a garden window among the plants and metal earth butterflies.

So how many have I built? We figure at least 90 of them. Maybe 95 even. I have about 80 here at home. I have another 4 or 5 on the shelf waiting to get built. I kind of hate it when I've built one, and they come out with a new version that is painted. Then I end up getting the painted one too since I like that better. Oh well.

Now I KNOW I don't have a rocket problem, but now that I think about it, maybe I DO have a Metal Earth problem??? :rolleyes:

IMG_20240104_210157_kindlephoto-767743571.jpg
IMG_20240104_210349_kindlephoto-767838803.jpgIMG_20240104_210225_kindlephoto-767777389.jpg

So I was talking to my wife about this thread, which I didn't know existed until today. We started counting how many I've built. The answer later, but I think I should explain myself first.

I recently retired from the Merchant Marine (working on cargo ships). In the last few years of sailing I discovered these models. They were easy to pack and take with me to sea, and I enjoyed building them at night when I had a little down time. They kept coming out with new ones, and I kept building them. Sent most of them home, but a few I left behind on the ship or gave to some folks that seemed fitting for whatever reason. Here are a few pictures of a few of them that I have scattered about the house. Didn't get pictures of all of them, but you get the idea. Like Ken, I also built the peacock, and it's friend the macaw parrot, and both are a challange. Both are sitting in a garden window among the plants and metal earth butterflies.

So how many have I built? We figure at least 90 of them. Maybe 95 even. I have about 80 here at home. I have another 4 or 5 on the shelf waiting to get built. I kind of hate it when I've built one, and they come out with a new version that is painted. Then I end up getting the painted one too since I like that better. Oh well.

Now I KNOW I don't have a rocket problem, but now that I think about it, maybe I DO have a Metal Earth problem??? :rolleyes:

View attachment 622881
View attachment 622879View attachment 622880
To me these hobbies are not a problem until you have trouble paying bills. Compared to other addictive things like alcohol, gambling, drugs, etc., it's imho harmless and actually productive. Those other things people often have nothing to show after spending lots of money (except maybe withdrawal or guilt?), but for us we have these little treasures that we are often proud of and others often admire. :D

I bought a P-51 Mustang model. I can’t do it. Impossible to do some things. You guys are amazing to even try one. I can’t believe how many of you completed your models.
They are not easy, and with each passing year they seem to become more difficult for me. I don't even know if I consider building them to be "fun", but I seem to stubbornly enjoy the challenge and do get a lot of satisfaction for each piece I manage to attach correctly. It's not pleasant and relaxing in the way that building rockets is, at least for me.

They are not easy, and with each passing year they seem to become more difficult for me. I don't even know if I consider building them to be "fun", but I seem to stubbornly enjoy the challenge and do get a lot of satisfaction for each piece I manage to attach correctly. It's not pleasant and relaxing in the way that building rockets is, at least for me.
My neighbor gifted me with a set of 3 Star Trek models and it was surprisingly difficult to build two of them. When I told her about it, she jokingly gave out a sinister laugh! 😆

Finished the Space Shuttle Discovery tonight.
First the picture of the model and the tools, lots of tools

IMG_4994_SMALL.jpg

I have slowly been accumulating the tools over the last 7 years or so, and a lot of them are used for other hobbies as well.

The Space Shuttle Discovery was the first metal earth that I built. So I tool several comparison photos to see the differences between the old and new models.

IMG_4995_Small.jpgIMG_4997_SMALL.jpgIMG_4998_SMALL.jpg

The detail and realism are greatly improved, but also the difficulty has increased on these models. The old shuttle Atlantis was a one sheet model, the new Discovery is a Two Sheet model, more parts, more time, But I still find them highly enjoyable.

Finally the Shelf of Space Models

IMG_4999_Crop.jpg

From right to left:
Shuttle Discovery, Apollo CSM & Lander, ISS, Mars Insight Lander, Boeing Starliner, Hyabusa, Chandra, Hubble, Kepler, Mars Rover, Voyager, Lunar Lander, Lunar Rover, Saturn V and Tower, and Shuttle Atlantis.
I still have the Mars Perseverance lander, Maxar Legion Worldview, and James Webb that need to be completed. Stay Tuned

Although it was only rated as "Moderate" difficulty, I struggled with this one and it did not come out well. If it looks good in this picture it is only because I intentionally photographed from its most flattering angle:
View attachment 622749

Somehow the catwalks ended up backwards, so the beveled end was pointed in the wrong direction to snug up against the rocket. This despite the fact that I stared at the instructions for a *long* time (under the magnifier) to check exactly how to do it. Also I could not for the life of me shape the fin assemblies so the snugged up against the base of the airframe, and finally the tab at teh top of the rocket did not align with what I thought it was supposed to attach to (still no clue how that happened). I think the instructions could have been better with this one.

Anyway, it did serve to get me back in the swing so I'm hopefully ready for the next one. This will stay towards the back of the shelf, away from prying eyes. :)
The SV was a tough one for me as well, mine isn't not much to look at. The Apollo CSM with LM, while it has more parts, some of them very delicate, it was a much more satisfying build, and holds a prominent place in my display. Looks great, especially helps with the gold pieces. It helped that I had built a stand-alone LM before this one came out.

I've gradully improved tools, starting with some really cheap needle nose pliers and an X-Acto to cut the pieces out. The Xuron tools are great, I've found the Tweezer nose and Sprue cutter, along with the wire wrapping mandrels cover most of my needs.

Attachments

• Metal-Earth-Tools.jpg
    Metal-Earth-Tools.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's funny to me that a forum for Metal Earth models is located in a flying rocket forum. Go figure.
I have been building these models for some time. I find them very relaxing in their own way. I hate to say it here I spend more time building these models than rockets.
Over the years I have accumulated a pile of tools, but the more I build the more I find I use the same tools over and over.
Over time I have built these models, and have given them away to people. Everyone I give them to can't believe they start on a flat sheet of metal.
My favorite subjects to work on are first the Star Wars line, the Space models, and architecture models.
If you have tried one of these models try them. You might be surprised.
I hope we have more posts here.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a decent starting kit and a basic set of the right tools for the job? My son is probably ready to try these again. We attempted one a couple of years ago, but his patience has improved dramatically since then and I suspect having better tools would also contribute greatly. As it is he'll spend a couple of days working on the Rokr kits, but I'd love to find something new. He's built a ton of those at this point and finding new and challenging options gets more expensive by the month.

Pick a kit, something he is interested in, and rated easily. As for tools here is a picture of the tools I use.
I use masking tape to cover my tools so they won't scratch the parts.

Attachments

• 20231224_113251.jpg
    20231224_113251.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
There are many many youtube videos about Metal Earth... this is the one I watched that gave me my ideas for my toolset:

I followed all the instructions and have been quite happy with my setup, although I'll probably get a head-mounted magnifier at some point. The minimum set of tools that I consider non-negotiable are:
1) flush cutters
2) Very fine (i.e. jewelry) pliers
3) Some sort of magnifier
4) Round mandrels. I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/Beadthoven-Mandrel-Looping-Forming-Jewelry/dp/B089D4YM1F/. They're "OK", at some point I'll probably look for something better, although I'm not sure what.

Beyond that, there are options.

The Space Shuttle Discovery is the easiest and quickest one I've done so far: https://www.amazon.com/Fascinations-Metal-Earth-Shuttle-Discovery/dp/B00BWH42VI/. Pretty good one IMHO to see if you like the whole thing, and if so you can move on to more challenging sets (after you've invested in all the tools. ;))

I picked up the Maxar Worldview Legion kit this afternoon and completed it. It is a 1 1/4 sheet model.
First the tool layout, including the magnifying safety glasses and the lighted magnifier, I use both to see well enough for these small parts.

IMG_5003_Small.jpg

I use masking tape to cover my tools so they won't scratch the parts.
Great Idea! I will have to do that with some of my tools. The key I found is to have flat jaws where you grip the parts, and serrated jaws where you need to grab the tabs to twist them.

Close ups of the completed model

IMG_5004_Small.jpgIMG_5005_Small.jpgIMG_5006_Small.jpgIMG_5007_Small.jpg

Interesting detail of the secondary mirror on the inside of the spacecraft.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a decent starting kit and a basic set of the right tools for the job? My son is probably ready to try these again. We attempted one a couple of years ago, but his patience has improved dramatically since then and I suspect having better tools would also contribute greatly. As it is he'll spend a couple of days working on the Rokr kits, but I'd love to find something new. He's built a ton of those at this point and finding new and challenging options gets more expensive by the month.
Some of the buildings were great starting models. Simple and fast to build, but gives you the chance to learn their methodology. The lighthouse, Washington monument (especially easy) and other skyscrapers go together easily. Then try some of the easier airplanes. I find arms and legs are a bit frustrating, so you might want to avoid those for now. And as someone said, pick ones that he might be interested in (i.e. superhero stuff, planes, space, bugs, etc). Really a wide range of subject matter.

Last edited:
James Webb Space Telescope.
It is a 2 1/2 stainless plus 1/4 brass sheet model. The Brass is as thick as two of the stainless sheets, but bends just as easy.
The build was fairly easy with just a couple of rounded items, until the end where there are some really small pieces that need to be formed into channels, then whoever designed it was asleep at the last step which is difficult to bend tabs under the heat shield and on top of the stand mount. I used a small dowel with a chisel end to push over the tabs, and it worked.
IMG_5037_Small.jpg IMG_5036_Small.jpg
IMG_5039_Crop.jpgIMG_5041_Small.jpg

James Webb Space Telescope.
It is a 2 1/2 stainless plus 1/4 brass sheet model. The Brass is as thick as two of the stainless sheets, but bends just as easy.
The build was fairly easy with just a couple of rounded items, until the end where there are some really small pieces that need to be formed into channels, then whoever designed it was asleep at the last step which is difficult to bend tabs under the heat shield and on top of the stand mount. I used a small dowel with a chisel end to push over the tabs, and it worked.
View attachment 626580 View attachment 626579
View attachment 626581View attachment 626582
Good looking build. I’ve found more than a few where I swear whoever did the instructions never tried to build it. Sometimes the tabs end up in some really inaccessible places.

I used a small dowel with a chisel end to push over the tabs, and it worked
Noted.
Julie gave me a Lando's Millennium Falcon last Christmas, have not built it yet.
Some time ago bought 2 Insight Mars Lander kits on sale to strip for parts for detailing freelance sci-fi models, have also not done that yet.

Hey hey, Just did my first ever Metal Earth parts assembly, 😁

The stand is step 13 in the instructions - seemed wiser to start with its simplicity than step 1's rolling the cockpit and walkway tubes.

Stand, indeed whole model, is a tiny little thing, the RR guy is 1/87 scale, maybe 7/8 inch, 22mm, tall.

IMG_6305.JPG

Hey hey, Just did my first ever Metal Earth parts assembly, 😁

The stand is step 13 in the instructions - seemed wiser to start with its simplicity than step 1's rolling the cockpit and walkway tubes.

Congrats on taking the first step on the slippery slope of Metal Earth!

When you do decide to roll those tubes, use a round object to roll them on. Round objects are everywhere, but for larger Items I use Dowels, and sockets. Smaller diameters I use the round shanks on various drill bits, round nosed pliers are also handy.

Congrats on taking the first step on the slippery slope of Metal Earth!

When you do decide to roll those tubes, use a round object to roll them on. Round objects are everywhere, but for larger Items I use Dowels, and sockets. Smaller diameters I use the round shanks on various drill bits, round nosed pliers are also handy.
I often use pens, or the refills inside them. The points can be useful for cones. Toothpicks also help sometimes. Sharpie markers of different sizes are good too. Like you said, round objects are everywhere.

After seeing this tread, I got back out my tools and built the P-40. Despite me dropping nearly every $&@#% one of the smaller parts on the floor, it came out nice. One of the easier airplanes I've done.

Yep! Also useful are the handles of jewelers files such as the one barely visible toward top of left side.
A good 'ol X-acto #1 handle was used for creating curve of stand front vertical piece.
Plus that file handle to fine tune the ends of curved front right near the fold line.

As for me, it helped to enter the build with experience rolling paper for paper models and etched brass detail parts for several genres of plastic and wood models.

Finished another one, the F-15 Eagle single sheet model. This was one of the first designs and it shows. Way more rounded features than I first suspected. The model has a horrible looking nose section which is why I didn't build it for a long time. First the completed model with the tools used.

IMG_5159_small.jpg

Coming and Going. Looks better going

IMG_5160_Small.jpgIMG_5161_small.jpg

Now one of the later kits, the Blue Angels F/A-18 Super Hornet (Premium Series).
As usual the squared intakes turning into round exhaust are a pain. The stand is interesting, it is actually square tubes that slide into the tailpipes so the model can be easily removed. Two large sheets, but since the parts were large, it went together rather rapidly.

IMG_5169_Small.jpg

Then the bottom, side and top views.

IMG_5170_Small.jpgIMG_5171_Small.jpgIMG_5172_Small.jpg

Latest posts

Back