New Metallic and Pearlescent Spray Paints - 59 Different Colors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider07928

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

This might be our first post since starting sponsoring TRF several months ago.
We recently added a bunch of metallic and pearlescent spray paints to our website. We even added some new colors including blue, purple, green, red and yellow.

You can check them out here:
Metallic and Pearlescent Spray Paints

It's hard to get a full appreciation of the colors through pictures, but here are a few of my favorites:
MyPerfectColor™ MT001-F-I Symphonic Sky Pearlescent
This is an interference color which means that it will only show it's bright blue color when painted over black. It is a bit tricky to apply because if you apply too much it starts to lose some of it's lustre, and too little and you might have uneven coverage. But once it's on it is a really cool color.

MyPerfectColor™ MT028-F Sands of Mars Metallic
This color is out of this world. It is a really warm and bright copper that almost glows.

MyPerfectColor™ MT002-UF Shimmering Abyss Pearlescent
This is a really cool black pearlescent. It has a mesmerizing quality and it is just plain cool.

MyPerfectColor™ MT007-F-I White Splendor Pearlescent
This is another interference pigment. It will have very poor hide if you try to use it on it's own, but if you paint it over white you will get a glittery shimmering white, and if you paint it over black, you get a really cool black silver.
Check out the pic. You can see the white and black side by side. I haven't experimented with it over any other colors yet and I am curious to see what how it responds.

Many more cool colors. Check them out if you are interested.

Jason
L1 (hopefully L2 in May or June!)

splendor white pearlescent over white and black.jpg

Any tips for how to use the site more effectively?
The website is rather a challenge. I tried for a while to see if there was a way to navigate to the "metallic and pearlescent paints" page and ultimately gave up.

It seems, though, that this company is *exclusively* geared towards custom-mixed paints, and thus there is always a processing fee, and therefore would seem appropriate for hobby use only if you plan to use a lot of paint (i.e. many cans of the same color). Not for someone who says "hey that pearl pain looks really cool, think I'll try a can". I didn't see any obvious listing of "stock" colors. @strider07928 if I have this wrong please correct me.

Eventually, I'm going to have to paint something "Toyota Solar Yellow 576." Tried searching for that on your site and nothing came up. Any tips for how to use the site more effectively?
We don't have all colors, and don't any automotice finishes, so you woulnd't find anything for Toyota there.

The website is rather a challenge. I tried for a while to see if there was a way to navigate to the "metallic and pearlescent paints" page and ultimately gave up.

It seems, though, that this company is *exclusively* geared towards custom-mixed paints, and thus there is always a processing fee, and therefore would seem appropriate for hobby use only if you plan to use a lot of paint (i.e. many cans of the same color). Not for someone who says "hey that pearl pain looks really cool, think I'll try a can". I didn't see any obvious listing of "stock" colors. @strider07928 if I have this wrong please correct me.
I agree that we do not have adequate filtering for the metallics page, but there are only 2 pages at this point. We are considering adding properties to enable filtering by like colors, etc. (eg all silvers, etc) For now it is just a basic browse and I agree it needs improvement.

You are also correct that we are geared towards custom made paint. We do not have any stock colors as everything is custom made to order. It is expensive when compared to an off the shelf stock can of paint, but not that expensive if you consider the ability to get practically any color in an aerosol. We do recognize we are not for everyone. If any red would do, then we are not for you because you can get that for $7 at the local Home Depot. But if, for example, you are looking for the original Radio Red Flyer color, then you could buy as little as a single custom made can from us. If you knew the amount of work required to make a small batch of custom-matched paint, fill, clean up, label, and package, you'd undertstand the pricing.

We may offer stock colors at some point in the future if the volume warranted it, but for now it is custom made to order.

Thanks for checking it out and taking the time to share feedback.

I wanted to see if I could find a match for some bright pink metallic or pearl. I found the color but cannot make the paint selector work. It does not list pearl or metallic as a finish option.

Also, what chemistry is in your spray cans? I will likely need a base color and I want to make sure they are compatible. Is the spray pre-catalyzed or is it an enamel?

I wanted to see if I could find a match for some bright pink metallic or pearl. I found the color but cannot make the paint selector work. It does not list pearl or metallic as a finish option.

Also, what chemistry is in your spray cans? I will likely need a base color and I want to make sure they are compatible. Is the spray pre-catalyzed or is it an enamel?
It isn't possible to choose any color and make it pearlescent or metallic because it isn't as simple as just adding some mica to a color. Special transparent pigments need to be used. We have one pink semi-transparent pigment we could use to achieve what you want. It would be similar to this color:
https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/532419-myperfectcolor-mt029-f-pink-aluminum-8020-metallic
The color above is made with an aluminum which gives it better hide, but dulls and changes the color (aluminim pigment is gray). We could make it brighter by using a white pearlescent. You would get a crisper, brighter pink that would have a nice sparkle, but the hide would be poor. You would need to use a white or bright pink base coat, and then multiple thin coats of the pearlescent to build up the hide.

The paint is a single-stage air dry acrylic enamel which is a high quality durable equipment enamel similar to what is used on trucks. It isn't like typical 2-stage automotive paint which require a base coat and a clear coating for durability. You can add a 2-part clear automotive over the top if you want extra durability, but it isn't necessary. We are going to do a few experiments. Let me know if you would like to try a can.

I would be interested in the variant based on a white pearl. I would Likely top coat it with a high solids urethane clear (I prefer the panel clear by Finish One) to fix the decals. Would this be transparent or translucent requiring a suitable base color/primer to really showcase the finish or is it opaque. I'd likely use the Finish One 2K primer. Being grey, I don't want it to dull the pearl and need to know if I would need a white or silver undercoat. I need to cover about 700 square inches.

I'd be happy to give it a whirl.

OK, we created two new ones:
MyPerfectColor™ MT065-P Pink Pearlescent 80203L
MyPerfectColor™ MT066-P Pink Pearlescent 6040

Let me know what you think. You would definitely not want to use a gray primer underneath. Stick to white, or top coat the gray primer with white. Otherwise you'll kill the intensity of the color. We offer a white primer you might like. Not sure how it compares to the 2K you like. This is only 1K. 700 SqInches is less than 5 SqFt so 1 can should be enough although my experience is that rockets eat up way more paint than I ever expect, probably due to all the overspray.
Let me know which you choose and I'll send you some paint and primer free of charge. I only ask for feedback and you post pics. Yo0 can DM me your contact info and address (name, email, phone, shipping address).

Jason

Back