Metal Earth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the peacock because my wife wanted it, but I mucked it up. It still sits in my desk maybe 1/4 done, waiting for me to figure out how to fix it. It’s got some great color to it, and I think it will look really cool if I could finish it.

This looks cool. Reminds me of my younger days in Melbourne.
I used to do maintenance work on the later Z, A and B-class trams in Melbourne back in the '80s. I have been tempted to get one of these W-class models. I always wanted to get a bell out of one of these and put it in my car 😂. I still have my tram and bus driving licence.

Last edited:
I learned at a young age static models take a lot more work than just building them.
They sit around, collect dust, if they are close to the kitchen even get greasy.
You have to clean them. I built quite a few plastic kits before I discovered Rockets.
Cleaning them can lead to hours of tedious Q-tip use.
Also accidents where damage is caused and either repair it or throw it out.
For the most part, rockets are also static as they spend most of the time sitting around.
But the shape doesn't leave a lot of surface areas for junk to build up on, unless stored horizontally.
This time of year, mine are all in boxes and in storage. Excepts a bunch of kits I plan on building this Winter.
I don't have space for static models in this small apartment. Most of my rockets are at my storage place year round.
I bring a dozen or so out of storage each spring and listen to my wife complain about them taking up space.
My wife says this place looks like hell. I call it Organized Clutter. That, I can skip by on.
Everything doesn't have a place, but I know where everything is if I want it. Usually...

I just made the mistake of looking at their website. Wowsers.

This one is "coming soon": https://fascinations.com/premium/the-terminator-t-800. Looks incredible; I'm not sure I could do it.
So as soon as I see this available somewhere I'm buying it!!!

0013058_t-800-endoskeleton_620.png

That looks like a nice job. That one and the CM/LM are my favorite ones that I’ve built so far.

The 3 sheet models usually take me a few hours too, a little less for 2 sheets. I wear a Donegan Optivisor almost the whole time.

Reviving this thread as I just picked up several of these kits. I've had the LEM kit for years now but never built it. Also picked up a few of the recommend tools. I've done a fair bit of PE for static models and this just looks like that on steroids. I'm going to start with some easy ones and progress. Looking forward to a new obsession.
It won't replace rockets. Nothing could ever do that...but just add some variety.

Although it was only rated as "Moderate" difficulty, I struggled with this one and it did not come out well. If it looks good in this picture it is only because I intentionally photographed from its most flattering angle:
IMG_4644.jpeg

Somehow the catwalks ended up backwards, so the beveled end was pointed in the wrong direction to snug up against the rocket. This despite the fact that I stared at the instructions for a *long* time (under the magnifier) to check exactly how to do it. Also I could not for the life of me shape the fin assemblies so the snugged up against the base of the airframe, and finally the tab at teh top of the rocket did not align with what I thought it was supposed to attach to (still no clue how that happened). I think the instructions could have been better with this one.

Anyway, it did serve to get me back in the swing so I'm hopefully ready for the next one. This will stay towards the back of the shelf, away from prying eyes. :)

Although it was only rated as "Moderate" difficulty, I struggled with this one and it did not come out well. If it looks good in this picture it is only because I intentionally photographed from its most flattering angle:
View attachment 622749

Somehow the catwalks ended up backwards, so the beveled end was pointed in the wrong direction to snug up against the rocket. This despite the fact that I stared at the instructions for a *long* time (under the magnifier) to check exactly how to do it. Also I could not for the life of me shape the fin assemblies so the snugged up against the base of the airframe, and finally the tab at teh top of the rocket did not align with what I thought it was supposed to attach to (still no clue how that happened). I think the instructions could have been better with this one.

Anyway, it did serve to get me back in the swing so I'm hopefully ready for the next one. This will stay towards the back of the shelf, away from prying eyes. :)
I had similarly frustrating results with that one. I got back on the horse with a P51 that turned out really well even though it was rated as being more difficult.

This is the first one I did. It isn't a Metal Earth brand (don't remember the actual name), but I got it at Hobby Lobby on the same rack as the M.E.s.

I was looking at all of the metal models, thinking I needed to try one some day, and I was a bit surprised to see one that said "bass guitar". I was even more surprised to see it was a Rickenbacker bass guitar! Had to have it...

Here it is with its much bigger (and better sounding) full-scale brother.

1704341411378.png

Since then I have done a few of these things; the Saturn V with gantry, a lighthouse (I might put an actual light in it, but haven't yet), and a sailboat. I have the Foker DR1 triplane under construction and have a bit of a build pile waiting for me when that is done!

Good fun!

View attachment 622749

I had difficulty with this one, too. The stack doesn’t sit straight. The interstage fairing looks really bad. It was a disappointing build. Unsurprisingly, I keep it in the back as well. The other metal earth space models look great, though. I love the command module-lunar module combination.

I have this set waiting in the pile. I really want to start it, but I know it will have to be a "clear the bench" type of project!

View attachment 622771
View attachment 622772
View attachment 622773
I've done a few dozen of these, including the tanker and drill rig. They weren't as bad as they look, and came out pretty good. One thing I've done is gather a bunch of "tools" from everyday life. Pens, toothpicks, and other odds and ends are useful to roll small pieces into cylinders and whatever. Like some rockets (Saturn 1B), it's a series of smaller assemblies put together. Patience is your friend. If I can build these things with my Muppet hands, anyone can!

I bought a P-51 Mustang model. I can’t do it. Impossible to do some things. You guys are amazing to even try one. I can’t believe how many of you completed your models.

Back