Metal Earth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother was impressed and I have left it with him. I don't think it would travel well.
I built most of mine while away from home. Managed to get them all home with minimal damages, but it takes a little effort. I would take some soft foam, or a piece of cardboard if the item has a flat bottom, and use string to hold it down to the board or foam. Pass the string between high points or through the structure if possible. Tie the strings, or even just tape on the cardboard, under the bottom of the foam or board. Then put the foam or board full of models into a box (board cut to fit). Then secure the board using tape and perhaps using corner supports over the board to keep it down. For larger boxes I added a tube or angle in the middle of the box to prevent crushing. Constructing this can be a satisfying little project in itself. The good news is that in the end the box is still very light, so postage is quite cheap. Mailed dozens of models from the other side of the world (I mean that quite literally) over a few years and never had to throw any away once I got home. Couple of small pieces might have needed repair, but still display-able.

Now one of the later kits, the Blue Angels F/A-18 Super Hornet (Premium Series).
As usual the squared intakes turning into round exhaust are a pain. The stand is interesting, it is actually square tubes that slide into the tailpipes so the model can be easily removed. Two large sheets, but since the parts were large, it went together rather rapidly.

View attachment 631590

Then the bottom, side and top views.

View attachment 631591View attachment 631592View attachment 631593
I did that one! I did have to make use of super glue so it wouldn’t fall apart…

Finally finished this one. Probably the favorite one I've done so far, despite the 3 or 4 mistakes I made (one near-catastrophe towards the end that I could only save with some E6000). The way the LEM goes together is really fantastic. Definitely challenging.

IMG_4904.jpeg

I do have two wishes for the instructions:
1) Put the sheet reference (that shows where all the pieces are) on a *separate sheet of paper*. Please.
2) Many details in the instructions could stand to be larger. I know that I need to use the magnifier for the assembly, but I wish I didn't need to put the *instructions* under the magnifier to understand some of the steps. In addition to their being generally small, the arrows in the instructions are about 1 pixel wide and not very high contrast.

Next up: Razor Crest.

Finally finished this one. Probably the favorite one I've done so far, despite the 3 or 4 mistakes I made (one near-catastrophe towards the end that I could only save with some E6000). The way the LEM goes together is really fantastic. Definitely challenging.

View attachment 637023

I do have two wishes for the instructions:
1) Put the sheet reference (that shows where all the pieces are) on a *separate sheet of paper*. Please.
2) Many details in the instructions could stand to be larger. I know that I need to use the magnifier for the assembly, but I wish I didn't need to put the *instructions* under the magnifier to understand some of the steps. In addition to their being generally small, the arrows in the instructions are about 1 pixel wide and not very high contrast.

Next up: Razor Crest.
That one is in my build pile. First I have to finish the battleship Missouri.

Agree about your observations on the instructions. Frustrating when it says to “connect the tabs highlighted in red first” but the print is so small that I can’t tell which ones are highlighted in red.

Premium Series kits are my favorite.

That one is in my build pile. First I have to finish the battleship Missouri.

Agree about your observations on the instructions. Frustrating when it says to “connect the tabs highlighted in red first” but the print is so small that I can’t tell which ones are highlighted in red.

Premium Series kits are my favorite.
I usually wear a pair of magnifying glasses, which are a big help in fitting pieces together, and also to read the finer details in the instructions. It's a big help.

Sucks to get old! 😐

Back