Loki Research 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Screech on a J396

screech 1.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone with a decent lathe can turn the ID in a single shot... I'm not understanding why they were double chucked. That's more operations, more money..

That wasn't double chucked. It was machined for concentricity to remove the run out to the depth past where an o-ring has to seal, then the threads were machined. Since there is no need to machine the entire ID, only the ends are trued up in order for the o-rings to seal correctly.

Snap ring hardware doesn't need to rely on such machining techniques because the o-rings are self centering in the bore (floating) and are not constrained by a threaded piece.

If AT didn't do this, it might still seal ok, but the o-ring might be extremely tight on that one side and be very difficult to thread the closures on.

Last edited:
Hmmm , look what the FedEx man dropped off on my door step today . One brand new 54/2000 motor and a tasty K960 to boot . Scott , I do have to say , this is by far the nicest hardware I have ever owned . Eric's craftsman ship really shows .

Eric

IMG_20160325_144319.jpg

IMG_20160325_145505.jpg

I take those 1.4 Explosives stickers (the ones that say "explosive") and put them on the back window of my truck.

Nobody flips me off anymore.

Hmmm , look what the FedEx man dropped off on my door step today . One brand new 54/2000 motor and a tasty K960 to boot . Scott , I do have to say , this is by far the nicest hardware I have ever owned . Eric's craftsman ship really shows .

Eric

Emphasis mine.

Eric S.,

You don't know how much that means to me to hear customers tell me this about Loki Research products. Knowing the amount of different hardware that has past through your hands over the years makes it mean even more to me. I have hit my mark. Thank you very much for your compliments. I forwarded your post to Eric at Advance as well. He will appreciate it.

Thanks for all the Spitfire photos guys. They all look outstanding. :)

I take those 1.4 Explosives stickers (the ones that say "explosive") and put them on the back window of my truck.

Nobody flips me off anymore.

I hope you were actually kidding about putting them on the back window of your truck. While amusing to view (we used to have Poison Gas, and Explosive, and Flammable Gas stickers on our bathroom door at college), the Dept of Transportation IF they chose to stop you for it can write a hefty ticket for A) Improper Hazmat Placarding (no actual HazMat), B) Incorrect Placards,the 4" diamonds are not legal on vehicles (only on packages), only the 250mmx250mm aka 10"x10" are for the exterior of vehicles, C)Improper Placarding all four sides of vehicle not placarded. At the very least, improper displays give the police a reason to stop you and that increases the chances they find something else wrong, each of the previous infractions is a pretty hefty fine.

Does make people stop and think twice though.

Hmmm , maybe :dark:

Sorry for the poor wording on my last post . Yes Eric does great work , but your designs and final products are by far the nicest I have ever owned .

Eric

Eric, Nothing wrong with your wording. I guess in my mind, when you compliment Eric's work at advance, you're complimenting me every bit as much. You see, as Eric will attest there have been many, many times when I have been a complete pain in his butt going over the details of my expectations, the how and why I want things done a certain way. That communication between us has paid off in the end result, "by far the nicest hardware I've ever owned".

Now, the next focus of being a pain in someones butt is the new plater. People have no idea how hard it can be sometimes to ask for something very clear and very specific and actually get what you have asked for, the first or even 2nd time. It's a very difficult thing to do QC wise when it is not under your own direct control. Plating is one of these instances. All of the 54mm 900, 1200 & 2000 cases turned out as good as I could have ever hoped for. The 54mm 2800 and 4000 cases were racked in a different manner and didn't turn out the same, having marks on the inside of the cases where the cases were held onto. Some are better, some are worse, but most all of them have some amount of cosmetic issues on the ID of the cases at one or both ends. It will not affect their performance.

Why am I telling you all this??? Because I don't want the perception from Eric S's post that all the hardware is an image of perfection, because that would be untrue. I do my best with all of my suppliers. Sometimes we hit my mark, sometimes we fall short, but such is life. I am still trying to get through all of these cases to inspect them, but it is a very lengthy process with all the other work to be done. There have been a lot of Haz-Mat boxes getting filled up and shipped out lately, :) my email inbox has erupted with lots of new messages in the last few weeks and it's just been busier than normal overall.

BTW, I plan on attending KLOUDBurst 25 in Argonia, KS April 9th and 10th. If you need me to bring you anything, send me an email now. Please do not wait until a few days before hand. I have a lot to do to prepare for the trip. I'm very, very excited about this launch. First if I can get a new load cell amp up and running properly in time, I have 2 pretty large motors to static test. Secondly, and more importantly, my wife will be attending her first ever rocket launch!!! She dreads long drives but I have assured her it is a very beautiful and scenic drive to take in the early spring months. The field is equally as beautiful this time of year as well. I ca not wait! :)

Kloudburst is too close for me... But that being said, I'm seriously considering AIRFest.... Will you be attending?

Can't wait to use my Loki 54/2800 again.... Only reason I'll use my AT 54/2560 again is because I have a K700 still in the bag.... Unless I sell that to pay for another Loki load (or case...)... Hrrrm.... Time to inventory again!

Now, the next focus of being a pain in someones butt is the new plater. People have no idea how hard it can be sometimes to ask for something very clear and very specific and actually get what you have asked for, the first or even 2nd time. It's a very difficult thing to do QC wise when it is not under your own direct control. Plating is one of these instances. All of the 54mm 900, 1200 & 2000 cases turned out as good as I could have ever hoped for. The 54mm 2800 and 4000 cases were racked in a different manner and didn't turn out the same, having marks on the inside of the cases where the cases were held onto. Some are better, some are worse, but most all of them have some amount of cosmetic issues on the ID of the cases at one or both ends. It will not affect their performance.

I've seen a lot of anno jobs. I've seen the inside of all my cases after firing them a few times. I REALLY wouldn't lose sleep over some ID racking marks. Nobody is gonna see that at Mach 1 :)

I've seen a lot of anno jobs. I've seen the inside of all my cases after firing them a few times. I REALLY wouldn't lose sleep over some ID racking marks. Nobody is gonna see that at Mach 1 :)

There has to be a racking mark somewhere. you might be able to hide them in the snap ring grooves but what a pain that would be!

David, order a new 54/2800 motor and I'll send you one that I'm not happy with. Then tell me if you're happy with it or not. Check your email. I'll send you that case. ;) I'd post the picture, but it is of the extreme example and not necessarily representative of the entire lot, so far. I want to make customers aware of this, not freak them out. Again, this is only on the 2800 and 4000 cases.

As I said before, most of the "marks" are surface appearance only, a few others are true scratches. A couple even got into the snap ring grooves. Luckily so far, none are where the o-rings seat and nothing sent out that would ever cut an o-ring. Still, I've seen some pretty deep extrusion lines on some of the 98mm cases that Jeff use to sell which always sealed okay, hard as that was to believe.

AIRFest....... if there is one launch each year that Loki Research will be in attendance, it is AIRFest. I will definitely be at AIRFest 22. Be sure to bring your fastest and or highest reaching rockets this year. There will hopefully be a competition for one or both in several size diameters.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to tell you all Thank You for the compliments on the machining. It's ncie to hear them. :):):)

[YOUTUBE]s9h85qzRxcA[/YOUTUBE]

4 inch Patriot on a Loki J525

[YOUTUBE]dgC0-1H-3b4[/YOUTUBE]

3 inch Darkstar on a Loki J820

Thanks as always for such great products!

Last edited:
I just tried my first J320 Red last weekend. No pics, but it was an impressive boost.

Then you should like these...

Loki L780SF

IMG_4568.jpg
Liftoff

IMG_4569.jpg
On its way up

IMG_4444.jpg
What it left behind

Last edited:
Back