Lets see your casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....don't you mean you "over-pressurized" the Pro 54 case. ;)

There was a fireball, a bang, and what was once a single piece was reduced to many smaller pieces. I'd say blew up is an accurate assessment :D

Like I say, it's all relative.

I can remember my first LDRS, where I was in awe of all the Ms that I saw.

Now, at LDRS, an M doesn't get my attention.

It's all a matter of what you're used to.

-Kevin

An estes C always gets my attention when I lose a rocket :D but seriously, a C is generally the largest I commonly launch on.

Thanks to a very generous man who spent a good portion of his free time at the launch site looking for various lost items, our Kosdon case has been returned to us.

Thanks to a very generous man who spent a good portion of his free time at the launch site looking for various lost items, our Kosdon case has been returned to us.

[YOUTUBE]enSYlCEz5VI[/YOUTUBE]

And there was much rejoicing! :)

Although not as impressive as other's collections, here is mine.

That 38/1320 casing is lookin pretty big to me, but it may not stay like that for long. It's amazing to think that I used to think that a C6 was big.

RP 020.jpg

RP 021.jpg

That 38/1320 casing is lookin pretty big to me, but it may not stay like that for long. It's amazing to think that I used to think that a C6 was big.

38/1320?!

What is it, about 3 feet long?

-Kevin

38/1320?

Dang. That's absolutely insane. I thought the 1080 case was long. I may need one of those :D

(How many grains does it take?)

Also, I picked up my Pro98-6gXL casing today at LDRS - holy cow. It's enormous. I'm somewhat frightened of it. I also got to ogle some pro150 hardware, which is beyond insane.

Also, I picked up my Pro98-6gXL casing today at LDRS - holy cow. It's enormous. I'm somewhat frightened of it. I also got to ogle some pro150 hardware, which is beyond insane.

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Take a pic with you holding it for some scale.:cool:

As said before, the 38/1320 takes 6 long grains or 10 regular 38mm grains.

The only certified load so far is the J510W (which I plan to fly at Southern Thunder), but Aerotech may be coming out with some baby Ks in it soon (not guarenteed though).

As said before, the 38/1320 takes 6 long grains or 10 regular 38mm grains.

The only certified load so far is the J510W (which I plan to fly at Southern Thunder), but Aerotech may be coming out with some baby Ks in it soon (not guarenteed though).
Wait, if you are a Jr. Level 1, then how can you be launching a rocket on a J? :confused:

MK

Well, the blue 75/6400 casing in the picture I posted above is no more. I had a cato in it today at LDRS (which is truly unfortunate, since that was a borrowed casing).

Yep. And video.

Absolutely destroyed my scratchbuilt 4" AIM-120C, which was my L2 rocket.

Well, the blue 75/6400 casing in the picture I posted above is no more. I had a cato in it today at LDRS (which is truly unfortunate, since that was a borrowed casing).

Ouch, that sucks!!!:(

Was it the M1550R, I've heard of a few of those cutting loose at ignition.

You have had more commercial CATO's in the past month than I have had EX CATO's in the past 6 years. Something is going on.

You have had more commercial CATO's in the past month than I have had EX CATO's in the past 6 years. Something is going on.
I had my first Aerotech certified reload cato today in 20 years of flying them - at least 500. It was a J99N-P built **exactly** per the directions.

I've had 2. Prior to that, I have a nearly perfect record (one cato ever, and I'm pretty sure it was my fault), and both catos were on motors I have flown successfully before. I can pretty much guarantee you that it wasn't user error, especially on the Pro54 (since it's almost impossible to make an error assembling that motor).

Honestly, the something that is going on is almost certainly just bad luck.

(Have you really had less than 2 catos in the past 6 years?)

Last edited:
I've had 2. Prior to that, I have a nearly perfect record (one cato ever, and I'm pretty sure it was my fault), and both catos were on motors I have flown successfully before. I can pretty much guarantee you that it wasn't user error, especially on the Pro54 (since it's almost impossible to make an error assembling that motor).

Honestly, the something that is going on is almost certainly just bad luck.

I wasn't insinuating user error. Maybe something like storage conditions, vendor handling or something, can't really be sure.

I actually have had 3 if you want to count material failure. I had a 24-200 and a 29-120 CATO, but that was out of the same batch of propellant. I then had a 54-1600 Red burn through, which certainly should not have happened due to the predicted low heat of the propellant. I think it was due to the fact that the Schedule 40 tubing required to get the correct I.D. is just not consistent enough for rocketry use.

All three failures were during static tests.

...and if you want to count commercial CATO's, I have had:

RATT K240 that back-fed into the nitrous tank and went boom. (picture here: https://www.rocketreviews.com/featured/story_featured5.shtml)

Aerotech J350W right after the fire when pretty much every single one was doing it.

Aerotech F72T in a mach buster

Pro38 I205 in a Fat Boy (nothing was done except screwing the liner into the case.

And one last failure that wasn't a CATO:

E16W in my original Initiator failed to light the ejection charge. Received a warranty replacement.

I wanted to try one of those, can you elaborate on what happened?

I wonder how many have actually been flown?
I know that it's quite new & they did go to a smaller 38mm phenolic nozzle to keep the costs down...

On the topic of Cato AT motors; I recently put together a rather old AT I 366 RL.
It's dated: Aug 15, 2001 ( no lie pre-fire) Are AT grains still on the soft side & does anyone know the core's diameter of this motor?
They seem a bit on the small side to me, but it could be just different from my regular EX motors that I've been flying lately...

JD

I had my first Aerotech certified reload cato today in 20 years of flying them - at least 500. It was a J99N-P built **exactly** per the directions.

Last edited:
<say like stinkin' badges>

Cases, humm cases, yes we need to have cases

13m Complete Green Monkey EX-13mm case set
18mm AT
24 x2 AT
24 At-RC
24mm EX case (ie 24/80) for holding two AT 24mm loads

29 40/120 hobby case
Complete set of 29mm Hi-power AT case sizes
29mm EX Tru-Core set
All 29mm CTI case set
All 29mm Skyripper cases

29 plasma jet case
29mm USR parts for A-team cases
29mm Rons-Loc parts for AT cases
29mm case made for those Mil-Spec BP grains that were around for awhile

32mm AT-RC case

All 38mm AT cases (less the new 1320)
All 38mm Loki cases
All 38mm (less xl) CTI cases
All 38mm Skyripper cases

Just remembered, I won the complete 38mm Contrail set at LDRS 25 - thanks guys
Still have all except the longest one that suffered some issues that evening

54mm AT soda can
54mm AT 1700 case
54mm 1200ns Loki Case
54mm AMW 1700ns case
54mm 2800ns X-Loki case as in it used to be a case before my darts tent peg
54mm AMW 2550 case
54mm 4 grain CTI case
54mm 6 grain CTI case
All 54mm Skyripper cases

63mm Ratt K motor case
63mm Ratt L motor case

75mm Loki L case
75mm Loki M case

98mm on loan (but plan to buy) 4 grain full M CTI case
98mm 42"" Mike Fisher N case

150mm 6" x 60" Loki P motor case

I might have some more I'm not recallin' :confused2:

Last edited:
I have had 0 catos in the past 6 years. Just thought I'd mention that.

Quite an impressive collection, Art.

Back