Lets see your casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*snip*

Kosdon (Pre-KBA)

29/160 (?)

*snip*

It's actually a 29/150. I just bought one as well. They are very nice!

Here it is sitting with my rouse-tech 29/240 #0045 and My AT 29/40-120 #003something.

Attachments

• Photo-0114.jpg
    Photo-0114.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Okay got one more to add to my 'collection' :) Got my Big One at our last launch..The motor for my L3 attempt! A 75mm CTI 6G..Man this thing is BIG!:eyepop:

PIC 1 shows the Big Guys in the 4 'power ranges' I have from CTI - the 6 grainers! From left to right 29mm, 38mm, 54mm and 75mm..Funny, when I first started into HPR I thought that the 38mm 6grain was a BIG motor, then CJ made me an offer to sell the 54mm 6grain to me, and I thought it was REALLY BIG, this 75mm has me thinking it is HUGE...Don't know what I would think seeing a 98mm 6grain!:eek:

PIC 2 is a close up of the Pro75..Yep it is almost 3' long! Will be 3' long once the forward closure and nozzle carrier are attached..Impressive stuff!

DSCF4179.JPG

DSCF4180.JPG

Okay got one more to add to my 'collection' :) Got my Big One at our last launch..The motor for my L3 attempt! A 75mm CTI 6G..Man this thing is BIG!:eyepop:

PIC 1 shows the Big Guys in the 4 'power ranges' I have from CTI - the 6 grainers! From left to right 29mm, 38mm, 54mm and 75mm..Funny, when I first started into HPR I thought that the 38mm 6grain was a BIG motor, then CJ made me an offer to sell the 54mm 6grain to me, and I thought it was REALLY BIG, this 75mm has me thinking it is HUGE...Don't know what I would think seeing a 98mm 6grain!:eek:

PIC 2 is a close up of the Pro75..Yep it is almost 3' long! Will be 3' long once the forward closure and nozzle carrier are attached..Impressive stuff!

Well, I have a 98mm 4g, and it's pretty huge. I have a 98 6xl on order from Wildman, and I'll be picking it up at LDRS. I suspect it will be frighteningly large.

Here's my Pro98 4g (My L3 casing :D) next to my Pro38 6g and an (unfortunately not mine - I'm borrowing it for LDRS) AT 75/6400 casing. Unfortunately, I blew up my Pro54 6g yesterday, or else I'd have included it in the shot too.

Last edited:
Impressive! Just took a gander at the hardware specs at the CTI site..The 98mm 6GXL is 48.26" long!:y: Yowzers!:eyepop:

Yeah :D

I'd be curious to see one of those 75 6gs in person too - the longest I've ever used (or held) is a 5g, such as that AT 6400 case in my photo. The 6G seems like it would be a lot of fun. Which load do you have for it for your L3?

98mm is huge until you muck with a few 6" and 8" cases.

It's all relative to what you're used to.

Heck, I remember the first time I held a 29/180 case and thought "Oh my god, this thing is HUGE!"

-Kevin

Yeah :D

I'd be curious to see one of those 75 6gs in person too - the longest I've ever used (or held) is a 5g, such as that AT 6400 case in my photo. The 6G seems like it would be a lot of fun. Which load do you have for it for your L3?

I will be using the 5 grain(with spacer) M3100 white..Sims out to 9500 and some change..Though in reality I think it MAY push 8600-8800, hopefully it won't go much higher then the sim as we only have a 10k waiver in Orangeburg:eek:

Heck, I remember the first time I held a 29/180 case and thought "Oh my god, this thing is HUGE!"

-Kevin

Yep - I remember thinking the same about both the 29/40-120 (my first reload) and the 38/240 (my L1 casing).

I will be using the 5 grain(with spacer) M3100 white..Sims out to 9500 and some change..Though in reality I think it MAY push 8600-8800, hopefully it won't go much higher then the sim as we only have a 10k waiver in Orangeburg:eek:

Oooohh - that's a nice motor. You're pushing a bit closer to the sim than I would (which is good in my case, because my L3 outdid expectations by 1300 feet or so), so hopefully the sim on yours is more of an overestimate than mine was.

-Kevin
Hah! Last month, after building an F12J in my 24/40 case, I was holding it in my hand and thinking, "Gee, this is hefty!" :eek: :rolleyes: :D

But some may say that motors aren't truly big until you need help lifting them up and installing them in the rocket!

MK

Last edited:
But some may say that motors aren't truly big until you need help lifting them up and installing them in the rocket!

Like I say, it's all relative.

I can remember my first LDRS, where I was in awe of all the Ms that I saw.

Now, at LDRS, an M doesn't get my attention.

It's all a matter of what you're used to.

-Kevin

Oooohh - that's a nice motor. You're pushing a bit closer to the sim than I would (which is good in my case, because my L3 outdid expectations by 1300 feet or so), so hopefully the sim on yours is more of an overestimate than mine was.

Generally, for me at least, RS tends to over estimate the projected altitude..I am pretty sure I have the correct elevation set in for the launch site but will need to do some double checking..Possibly with Google-Earth?

Generally for me, I've found rocksim to be optimistic on subsonic rockets, especially those with a low ballistic coefficient, while it seems to underestimate my supersonic, high ballistic coefficient flights. I'd guess that you aren't much above mach with a sim of 9k or so, so I'd guess you should be OK. Does your TAP approve of the flight plan?

Get your hands on RASAero, if you want more accurate sims. Chuck offers it for free.

It's not the most friendly of programs, and it has more limitations on rocket geometry, but for a "normal" rocket, it can handle everything. You'll find yourself entering dimensions you've not had to worry about in the past, but if you give it accurate data, you'll find you get more accurate results.

All that said, don't get me wrong -- I own RockSim, and I use it. Especially when starting to rough out a project, it's great to be able to visualize things, play with stability, etc. RASAero is only good for simulating the flight.

The problem? Neither runs on Android....

-Kevin

Get your hands on RASAero, if you want more accurate sims. Chuck offers it for free.

It's not the most friendly of programs, and it has more limitations on rocket geometry, but for a "normal" rocket, it can handle everything. You'll find yourself entering dimensions you've not had to worry about in the past, but if you give it accurate data, you'll find you get more accurate results.

All that said, don't get me wrong -- I own RockSim, and I use it. Especially when starting to rough out a project, it's great to be able to visualize things, play with stability, etc. RASAero is only good for simulating the flight.

The problem? Neither runs on Android....

-Kevin

Just downloaded RASAero...Will take a look and play with it some tonight when I get home from work...

Sadly, I must remove that Kosdon 29/150 from my list. It was ejected out the back of my rocket, never to be seen again.

I hate when that happens. I lost my Pro29 3-grain case yesterday. It didn't get kicked, we just never found the rocket. It landed in the trees, and disappeared.

I lost the only 24mm casing I own the other day. It was in my Blackhawk 24 and both were claimed by the rocket gods. I will replace that casing with a few CTI 24mm casings soon enough though.

Bummer, guys. :(

My first RATTWorks H-70 became a donation when it popped past the motor retention.

-Kevin

Well what can you do?

Why replace it of course :eek:

We are going to buy an old LONG kosdon case and have it cut into a new 150, and a 250 case.

Here's my Pro98 4g (My L3 casing :D) next to my Pro38 6g and an (unfortunately not mine - I'm borrowing it for LDRS) AT 75/6400 casing. Unfortunately, I blew up my Pro54 6g yesterday, or else I'd have included it in the shot too.

....don't you mean you "over-pressurized" the Pro 54 case. ;)

Back