LDRS 41

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

I'd like to express my thanks again for your help applying for my first FAA Waiver couple years back.
I had some pretty cool flights of my Sa-14 Archer in South Dakota. I am going to attempt my LVL2 Cert on Thursday-ish
I look forward to hopefully meeting you and shaking your hand at LDRS41 !

Thank you for your kindness. I would really have enjoyed that. Unfortunately my plans had to change. I won’t be able to attend. My wife’s disability has simply gotten to the point where travel to rocket launches is difficult.

Last edited:
I’m very excited to share that together, Art Hoag and myself will be returning a very special rocket to the skies at LDRS.

View attachment 589454

The Gates Brothers Full-Scale AQM-37A Jayhawk first flew in 2001 at LDRS 20 at Lucerne in California. After three total flights (NSL 2002 and BALLS 2002) it is time to give it flight number 4 over 20 years later.

With dual 98mm motor mounts, we’ve decided to keep it old school and fly it on a pair of Aerotech M2500Ts, identical to the first flight. An altitude of 3,000ft is expected, with an ARRD releasing the twin 26ft main parachutes at 1,500ft.

View attachment 589455

Art and I are very excited to get this rocket back in the air, and I know that many rocketeers around in the early 2000s will have stories to tell about the first time they saw the Jayhawk fly, or other Erik and Dirk stories. Please come over to our Rocket garden and share those stories. Personally, I wasn’t around the hobby then, but I love hearing stories from folks that were.

If you’ve got a smaller Jayhawk, bring it over and we’ll take a group photo.

Look forward to seeing lots of friends and meeting new ones out in Wisconsin!
Wow, after seeing this Jayhawk close up on display at Rocketryworks for years it is great news that it going to fly again. As I will not be able to attend, hopefully there will be some videos of its return to flight. After seeing this great rocket in person I cannot force myself to paint my 4" and 5" Pole cat Jayhawks that I am finishing the tradtional orange. Red all the way for me! LOL
Good luck on what I know will be a spectacular flight.

For those keeping track, we logged 0.03" rain at the orchard this past weekend. Compared to >3" in the Chicago 'burbs. It stayed south of the border. There was a very nice cloudburst Saturday night on the drive home - but that pop-up storm started east of SR 75 (most east of US 45) and was between SR 142 and Cty K. So no rain love for Bong.

I had a winery errand to do , so I ran up. I was going to snag a few 4-packs of cold cider for the setup crew - and then realized it’s Tuesday.

Not Wednesday.

Did the full scale Jayhawk fly?

Yes, Saturday afternoon. I hope it wasn’t damaged, the chute deployment looked like it could have caused a zipper.

One of the M2500’s came up to pressure much slower than the other, which caused a rather big curve in flight to the north. The curve resulted in a slightly high speed deployment of the nose which zippered the main body tube and unfortunately drug the tethered mains into said zipper…
So it came down only on the drogue. Now even though the drogue was 20’ (yes, feet!), it still came down fairly fast because 400lbs vs gravity, and landed right in the middle of a paved road. Damage was severe, and the team is still deciding on a repair plan.

One of the M2500’s came up to pressure much slower than the other, which caused a rather big curve in flight to the north. The curve resulted in a slightly high speed deployment of the nose which zippered the main body tube and unfortunately drug the tethered mains into said zipper…
So it came down only on the drogue. Now even though the drogue was 20’ (yes, feet!), it still came down fairly fast because 400lbs vs gravity, and landed right in the middle of a paved road. Damage was severe, and the team is still deciding on a repair plan.

When the zipper happened, one of the bagged mains got partially extracted. The harness was jammed in the zipper and thus the drogue was unable to pull the harness up and out, which means the mains couldn't properly be pulled out and thus couldn't inflate. The mains didn't end up in the zipper; one is still entirely in its bag.

The reason the harness got trapped is there was a twist in the part of the harness that got pulled out the side, and it took quite a big of force to actually pull it out.

Art is already formulating how to repair it. It will fly again.

-Kevin

Back