LDRS 41 (Tripoli Wisconsin Association, Richard Bong State Recreation Area) - PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday

Goblins...we like Goblins. The unofficial theme of LDRS 41!

View attachment 592061

B hadn't flown his Jr. L1 Cert Rocket, a Loc Goblin yet at LDRS. He fixed that on Sunday by flying the 4" Goblin on an Aerotech I211W from Blue 5.

View attachment 592063

View attachment 592064

Initially B and I were going to drag Goblins, but the pads were mostly full and flying from separate banks meant we couldn't drag race. No worries, by random chance, a fellow rocketman showed up with his Wildman Goblin on a J415W on the pad next to my Wildman Goblin on a J415W! We were destined to drag race... though I didn't do any special prep to my motor/igniter for a drag race.

View attachment 592065

I lost! But a fun chase!

View attachment 592066

View attachment 592067

Meanwhile, Charlie, Josh, Jay, Ben, and Robb returned with the top half of the big Goblin!!!!

View attachment 592068

Great Googly Moogly Eyes!

View attachment 592069

I put the 23rd flight on Hot Topic at LDRS... and the 23rd flight of my Loc Magnum at LDRS. I fly this rocket a lot....if you fly in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana, you've probably seen this fly. You may already know this, but I opine that everybody should own and fly a Loc Magnum. Just the perfect size and functionality of a rocket! Originally slated to shoot for the closest to 9k' contest, I ran out of time to fly it earlier in the week, so Sunday it was.

View attachment 592070

The camera struggled to focus and I missed the liftoff on the Aerotech L1150R. The Magnum landed a ways down the runway East of the LDRS range and just north of the trees. I was relieved to see the stack reach the ground from a distance. Making my way out to the landing spot, tracker signal was good, but I became concerned when I approached a lower area with cattails. Sure enough, there was the Mag floating in pond by Waterfowl Blind #14! (White, orange chute in background, center).

View attachment 592071

Bob Justus was kind enough to bring a boat, Frank was kind enough to unlock it, and Tom, Brandon, and Charlie were kind enough to help me lug the boat around. Row row row the boat...

View attachment 592072

To cap off the event, dad Tom flew his 5.5" Loc Packer Patriot on a K456DM. Gerald "Skippy" Meux, a Minnesota Vikings fan, was on the mic at the time, which made for an entertaining preflight ribbing. The Packer Pat flew well and landed at the edge of the gravel runway.

View attachment 592073

View attachment 592074

LDRS 41 was great! My recoveries were arguably not-so-great, but they were consistently entertaining! I wouldn't trade the experience of hanging with some of the finest folks in rocketry for anything! Rocketry is great...but rocket people are the best! Had the privilege of flying the high power alphabet at LDRS and hanging with my favorite people on earth. Thank you TWA and all my rocketry peeps for making it an amazing event!!!
Eric, thanks for all the stories, pics and memories, I love reading your recaps after the fact. :)

Best,

I'd love to see those. :D
And so you shall ......... The two shots of it landing are larger @ 10MB and Forum won't let me attach them to this or a private message......

Attachments

• _DSF8552.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF8553.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8554.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF8555.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8556.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8557.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8558.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8559.JPG
  • _DSF8560.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF8563.JPG
  • _DSF8564.JPG
  • _DSF8572.JPG
  • _DSF8573.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF8576.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8578.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8581.JPG
  • _DSF8582.JPG
  • _DSF8583.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSF8584.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF8585.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Here's the trailer for my coverage of LDRS! I'll be uploading it in two parts to my YouTube channel over the coming weeks. So, be sure to Subscribe if you want to keep up to date with the releases!

It's also available in full and ad-free. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Braden

Here is the Canadian Arrow that flew at LDRS41

Attachments

• _DSF0160.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF0161.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF0162.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF0163.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 1
  • _DSF0164.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 2
Thanks for all of the pictures.
I found one of my rockets in the mix.
I really failed at the pics/videos I took at LDRS. Taking video with a phone in the sun isn't easy. I kept overshooting the rocket so it wasn't in frame for the launch.
I'm looking for pics of my Green Lantern rocket in flight if anyone has it. I have pics of it before launch and I am editing the on-board footage. My son took a slow-mo of the launch with his phone, but being on the Red pads it was a little distance.
1689697026819.png

My wife and I signed the Beat Cancer rocket for my Mom, Sister and Sister-in-Law.
You also caught me coming up the road toward the RSO with my Blue Baboon One before it's fateful flight into the pond north of the pads.
And that’s my truck with the orange cooler in back

Nope not mine.....just some cool pictures my Son got. Mine was a beautiful LVL2 Cert that landed and was recovered form a tree over a mile away.
AND my prized LVL 1 Model that crashed and burned my last flight of LDRS 41

Attachments

• Antares IV Cert Flight.jpg
    Antares IV Cert Flight.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230707_151557.jpg
    20230707_151557.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230709_123554.jpg
    20230709_123554.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Nope not mine.....just some cool pictures my Son got. Mine was a beautiful LVL2 Cert that landed and was recovered form a tree over a mile away.
Thanks for the update and absolutely beautiful Antares IV!

Sorry about your other rocket, one of the pains we suffer through for the hobby that we love.

Can't take credit for the pic. A friend took it and passed it along. True "oops" moment!

View attachment 618061
Yes - I've seen this photo previously. I was working at the LCO table, and saw this happen in 'real time'. I/we would like to know more; as this was a potential true catastrophe. I believe there to be no video of this event, but, following the instant of this photo, the motor bansheed at about 15-20 feet (less?) over the southerly edge of the cars and vendors (and attendees. . .) until its burnout occurred, landing just into the grassy field.
In days past, I played my share of softball and baseball, but if that motor had aimed toward my face, I have little confidence that I would have intercepted it before eye or mouth contact. Sautéed and battered face: truly not a happy concept.

Last edited:
Yes - I've seen this photo previously. I was working at the LCO table, and saw this happen in 'real time'. I/we would like to know more; as this was a potential true catastrophe. I believe there to be no video of this event, but, following the instant of this photo, the motor bansheed at about 15-20 feet (less?) over the southerly edge of the cars and vendors (and attendees. . .) until its burnout occurred, landing just into the grassy field.

The picture was a still frame grab from my buddy's video. I'll see if he can send me the full file. I was standing next to him when he took the shot so I got a birds eye view as well. We both commented that it could have been so much worse, with either bodily injury or if it had found its way into one of the vendor areas/trailers (imagine if it hopped into the open Wildman trailer).

Thank you ..... My Archer was a great flier until that one !!
CTI did replace the Motor for me (They reviewed pictures and video, & agreed it did NOT preform correctly)
so that was really cool.........

Back