LDRS 40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crossing my fingers that this happens... so far the precautions that have been taken in Cali have been largely effective at preventing the spikes that are being seen elsewhere.

Does anyone know if there's going to be any adjustment to ROC's normal waiver for LDRS? A 15k waiver with an M single impulse limit seems kinda restrictive/tame for LDRS
They usually have call-ins to ~19k. The M limit is a state rule so they cannot change that. I have to agree with you on this though. I would love to see some larger motors and higher altitudes. Sadly, I don't think California will let us have any of that.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's going to be any adjustment to ROC's normal waiver for LDRS? A 15k waiver with an M single impulse limit seems kinda restrictive/tame for LDRS

LDRS 33 was held at Bong State Recreation Area in Burlington, WI. Waiver was 10,000 feet and was well attended. Not every LDRS needs a 15K waiver or higher to be successful.

LDRS 33 was held at Bong State Recreation Area in Burlington, WI. Waiver was 10,000 feet and was well attended. Not every LDRS needs a 15K waiver or higher to be successful.

True. This year however there is a launch in the same area two weekends earlier with a 50k foot waiver.

Going to that one. Guess its just me but traveling long distances just to see the same thing or actually less than i can see here locally doesn't make sense for me. The people here locally are just as great as well.

I *love* low-and-slow. My eyes are gettin so friggin' bad; between old age and a continuing increase in floaters, I generally can't track a rocket that goes over 5K unless it's pretty darned big and/or has a good tracking charge. So for me (and some other oldguys) there is no real difference between a rocket that goes to 15K and one that goes to 150K.

Best -- Terry

True. This year however there is a launch in the same area two weekends earlier with a 50k foot waiver.

Going to that one. Guess its just me but traveling long distances just to see the same thing or actually less than i can see here locally doesn't make sense for me. The people here locally are just as great as well.

For me, the draw of traveling to an LDRS is to meet people I wouldn't otherwise ever meet in person.

That said, you've gotta do what's best for you.

-Kevin

For me, the draw of traveling to an LDRS is to meet people I wouldn't otherwise ever meet in person.

That said, you've gotta do what's best for you.

-Kevin
Yeh I get that, I realize I will likely only meet a bunch of people I already know in Delamar😉 and not have to limit my flights or motors, it’s gonna be rough.

Lucerne Dry Lake. WOW!. Rode big tank YZ250 all over out in that area. Clear around to 29 Palms Marine Base by Yucca Valley. Landers dry lake? by Giant Rock and the Orbitron would be another launch site maybe??. You might spook the Marines on base tho'. It's kinda close.

Hmm. If the sky's are clear at night, the dogs will sing and you can see the galaxy-rise. Should be a good show.

They held LDRS 29 at Lucerne Dry Lake Bed in 2010 and we flew N motors. I know because I was in the Wildman's N-10000 drag race and mine went to just short of 15K. I got the highest altitude though I was not the first off the pad. And unlike someone else, I recovered just fine.

And I was on the crew that built and flew the Wildman's DarkStar on an O-3000 and a few
K motors, also at LDRS 29 if memory serves.

What happened that California lost the ability to fly N and O motors?

Is it "nanny-state" thinking that believes that the size of the motor is all that matters rather than max-altitude?

Brad

They held LDRS 29 at Lucerne Dry Lake Bed in 2010 and we flew N motors.
By special agreement with CA OSFM, which can't be duplicated again (and wasn't at LDRS 35 which was held at ROC in 2016, somehow we all had a good time anyway.)

True, they do have a 50K waiver, but recoveries there can be pretty nasty... you have to hike out to your rocket from the "road" (and I used that term loosely...), you can't drive out to it with any motorized vehicle. Out at Lucerne Valley, you can drive anywhere that your vehicle will take you... although with the gulleys in the lakebed that can sometimes be a challenge, even with an off-road SUV.

They held LDRS 29 at Lucerne Dry Lake Bed in 2010 and we flew N motors.

Brad

All of TRA is constrained by launch site size…
Since LDRS 29, our site shrank due to increased traffic on CA247. We can no longer claim the other side of the road. This constrains both the max altitude as well as the motor size at Lucerne.

If you don’t like the constraints, don’t come. ROC hosting so that LDRS wouldn’t be canceled this year…

messedupryan: "Now to look at how we'd stay.... " - When we attended LDRS at Lucerne Dry Lake in 2001, we stayed at the Fireside Lodge in Big Bear Lake. Less than one hour's drive to the launch site. A reasonably nice hotel that even my wife found to be acceptable (and that's saying something). Bob Schultz

True, they do have a 50K waiver, but recoveries there can be pretty nasty... you have to hike out to your rocket from the "road" (and I used that term loosely...), you can't drive out to it with any motorized vehicle. Out at Lucerne Valley, you can drive anywhere that your vehicle will take you... although with the gulleys in the lakebed that can sometimes be a challenge, even with an off-road SUV.
Good info to know, thanks.

I distance run for fun so hopefully the hikes out to the rockets wont be too bad for me.

rue, they do have a 50K waiver, but recoveries there can be pretty nasty... you have to hike out to your rocket from the "road" (and I used that term loosely...), you can't drive out to it with any motorized vehicle

I'll take this any day and twice on Sunday over a 10k or 15k waiver.
Low and slow gets boring quick when that's all there is.............

If you don’t like the constraints, don’t come. ROC hosting so that LDRS wouldn’t be canceled this year…
Read this again!
Thank you ROC! Without your club stepping up there would not be an LDRS 40!

No matter where it is hosted, there will be the dozen people or so who jump on these forums and complain about where it will be held and that they were not going to go for one reason or another. Then there will be 350 or so folks who don't agree with your assessment who will attend and have great time!

ROC found out they were going to hosting LDRS either late Thursday night or early Friday morning. Why don't we give them the time to put together a website to answer all of these questions that are being posed? Flyers, read the website!

Folks, there will come a year that TRA gets no bids to host an LDRS. I suspect it's probably not too far off.

Folks, there will come a year that TRA gets no bids to host an LDRS. I suspect it's probably not too far off.

That's pretty much next year.
OROC wasn't thinking LDRS, but got some arm twisting.
OROC was in no way ready for LDRS.....but the arm was twisted.
The club couldn't make it work on short notice despite valiant efforts.
I hope the club can recoup some of the pre-invested money.
Kudos to ROC for stepping up in what is truly the last minute.

I'll take this any day and twice on Sunday over a 10k or 15k waiver.
Low and slow gets boring quick when that's all there is.............
Matter of opinion, I guess. Personally I find that a rocket that disappears after 0.95 seconds, followed by an interminable wait for the main or the 'thud' of shovel recovery, gets pretty old after the second or third one, unless there's something particularly special to see/hear (e.g., KATE). But that's me; I consider rocketry a largely-visual activity---apart from building them and the enjoyment of finally meeting people in the flesh. Different strokes and all that.

To each their own. I like to see challenging flights.
And I know this will be polarizing, but personally I don't like how Kate stalls the launch.
As you say - different strokes.

Matter of opinion, I guess. Personally I find that a rocket that disappears after 0.95 seconds, followed by an interminable wait for the main or the 'thud' of shovel recovery, gets pretty old after the second or third one, unless there's something particularly special to see/hear (e.g., KATE). But that's me; I consider rocketry a largely-visual activity---apart from building them and the enjoyment of finally meeting people in the flesh. Different strokes and all that.

That’s my preference too — to see the whole flight. I like watching the deployments, which is something I can’t do beyond a not-very-high altitude. But I understand there are a lot of people who enjoy other aspects of rocketry too, and that’s fine.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter much in terms of changing the reality of the rules and constraints in place at any given site. It is what it is — take it or leave it. I had a GREAT time at LDRS 37 in California under the same motor constraints and a similar waiver, and I expect this one will be awesome too. Plus, California offers a lot of fun activities for anyone traveling from out of state who wants to make a vacation out of it. Make an easy side trip to the LA area, go to the beach, visit The Mouse or Universal Studios, head down to San Diego, go to Vegas, etc.

Did anybody ever create a template for hosting an LDRS? Maybe I've got the wrong word, but is there a kind of check list for all the things that you'd need in order to put in a bid to host an LDRS?

I know that I was in the group that put on LDRS 33 at Bong State recreational site up in Wisconsin. I was pretty much in charge of the pad-layout and launch system to cover the layout. But I do recall that there was a great deal that needed doing before we put in the bid to host. But after we got the bid, that's when the work really began. We hustled for quite a while in order to put together that launch. It went quite well if memory serves, but then again maybe my experience of it was off of reality.

But back to the bidding for LDRS template: is there such a thing?

I would think that it would help immensly having a template for expectations. A club might be able to work themselves up over a few years in order to make a bid.

Brad

Did anybody ever create a template for hosting an LDRS? Maybe I've got the wrong word, but is there a kind of check list for all the things that you'd need in order to put in a bid to host an LDRS?

I know that I was in the group that put on LDRS 33 at Bong State recreational site up in Wisconsin. I was pretty much in charge of the pad-layout and launch system to cover the layout. But I do recall that there was a great deal that needed doing before we put in the bid to host. But after we got the bid, that's when the work really began. We hustled for quite a while in order to put together that launch. It went quite well if memory serves, but then again maybe my experience of it was off of reality.

I would think that it would help immensly having a template for expectations. A club might be able to work themselves up over a few years in order to make a bid.

Brad
Why yes there is....

http://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Prefectures/LDRS Bid Template v1.1.pdf

Tony

Brad
The Utah Rocket Club (host of LDRS 39) put together a rather extensive checklist that we built in the early meetings and then went through at each meeting to check on status. Initially those meetings were monthly. The last couple of months they turned weekly. Neal Baker would share that with anyone who asks.

Last edited:
ROC knows how to put on a big show. They are good at it. Give the folks a little time. BTW LDRS 39 was the best big launch I have been too. Unreal how well it was run... I can't wait to get to the ROC show!

For those considering a bid, I'd suggest reaching out to others who have hosted an LDRS. Ask them questions, learn from them - I bet they're willing to share what they know!

And again, because I think it's important - thanks to both OROC and ROC for their efforts regarding LDRS 40!

-Kevin

For those considering a bid, I'd suggest reaching out to others who have hosted an LDRS. Ask them questions, learn from them - I bet they're willing to share what they know!

And again, because I think it's important - thanks to both OROC and ROC for their efforts regarding LDRS 40!

-Kevin

One thing we rarely see posted is statistics for the national events, stats like total number of flights, flights per day, and a breakdown of motors. Knowing these things helps a club or clubs determine their areas to focus on preparing. Maybe they are posted on the TRA forum..but...even as a TRA member I almost never go there.

One thing we rarely see posted is statistics for the national events, stats like total number of flights, flights per day, and a breakdown of motors. Knowing these things helps a club or clubs determine their areas to focus on preparing. Maybe they are posted on the TRA forum..but...even as a TRA member I almost never go there.

It's actually a bit of work to produce that data.

I did it for LDRS 25 (I no longer have the data - long since lost). It took quite a bit of time to collate it all off of the flight cards.

-Kevin

Our membership person at ROC is very efficient and puts these out for every launch ROC does although I'm not sure it is spread much beyond our group chat I'm sure something could be worked out. This was the report for our 3 day November launch

We had an amazing ROCStock!! The perfect weather all weekend made for great flying on all 3 days.
Launches:
1/2 A: 15
A: 44
B: 96
C: 161
D: 52
E: 48
F: 53
G: 52
H: 120
I: 47
J: 53
K: 24
L: 7
M: 4
For a total of 776 flights! 74 on Friday, 604 on Saturday and 98 on Sunday.
Certification Flights:
Jr Level 1: 17
Level 1: 50
Level 2: 13
Level 3: 2
For a total of 82 Cert Flights!! Congratulations to all those that were successful!
Thank you to all the volunteers who helped set up, tear down, Pad Manage, Flight Safety Checks and LCO during the launch.
Our next launch is scheduled for Saturday, December 11th!

I've never seen them for an LDRS..Must have missed them for LDRS 25
It was nice to see the stats for Balls this year...in the latest TRA report.
I've seen them for our club...our stats guy passed away ...we need some one else steps up to help and lend a hand.

Tony

Back