I do not want to see the new movie "I.S.S."

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"For All Mankind" has been the best show so far for me, because they make every effort of get the science right, the whole crew from sets to costumes is trying to make things as accurate as possible. It's great stuff from a Nerd perspective.
There are two reasons I haven't seen For All Mankind.

The first and more important one is that its Apple TV exclusive and I'm not getting yet another subscription to watch one show.

The second is because I heard about the treatment of Wernher von Braun in an early episode and it immediately turned me off. Von Braun's sole crime was being born in Germany at the wrong time. Von Braun also had nothing to do with Apollo 10 not landing. That was the plan from the beginning and everyone agreed with it. The way Gene Kranz dies is also spectacularly that-would-never-happen stupid. Maybe the showrunners can get the space physics right, but they seem to know very little about actual history or NASA operations.

Just, whatever you do, for god's sake, please, do *not* watch the TERRIBLE Tv version that was made in the late 70's/ early 80's...
Oh, my god. Need a hot poker to kill those memories in my brain.....
You b@$tard. I had finally forgotten about that! Hadn't thought about it in years. Now it's in my brain again. Where is dementia when I need it?

The first and more important one is that its Apple TV exclusive and I'm not getting yet another subscription to watch one show.
This is exactly why all streaming is going to fail. The reason Cable TV was a success was that they combined 500 channels into one service. Imagine if Cable TV had been "buy one channel at a time" -- it would have died. -- FYI I download most of the shows I watch. But that's a subject for another time.

For All Mankind isn't exactly what you think it might be -- it starts with the Premise of "What if the Soviets got to the Moon Landing first?" and runs from there. It's an alternate history and future. So things aren't exactly the same. For example, NASA owns their patents and makes $75 Billion a year on that. That's how they can afford to keep innovating without constant support from Congress.

Frankly, if NASA had done that in real life, we'd have colonized Mars by now as the show ... well, shows.

The second is because I heard about the treatment of Wernher von Braun in an early episode and it immediately turned me off. Von Braun's sole crime was being born in Germany at the wrong time. Von Braun also had nothing to do with Apollo 10 not landing. That was the plan from the beginning and everyone agreed with it. The way Gene Kranz dies is also spectacularly that-would-never-happen stupid. Maybe the showrunners can get the space physics right, but they seem to know very little about actual history or NASA operations.

I was in the same boat, as I had enough subscriptions and wasn't planning on getting any more. But my wife really wanted some shows on Apple TV, so I gave it to her for Xmas. I'm nearly finished FAM season 2 so far, and love the show. Sure, some things are a bit off. I've got one real bone to pick from season 1 though (and I'm not really spoiling anything here):

They make it seem like the difference between the show world and ours is just that the Russians happened to land on the moon first, then our worlds diverge based on the change. But, in our world, the Soviets were NOWHERE NEAR being able to land on the moon. The N1 booster had so many problems with it and probably never would have made it even given a few years more work. SO, in the show world, it's not just that they happened to land first, but they had a hell of a lot more advancement in tech and systems integration, to get them to the point where they could do several moon landings in 1969-1970. Had they had that level of tech advancement, A LOT of other related things would have been different, probably including military stuff. I don't think that the worlds would have been so aligned up through Apollo 10, as shown in the TV show.

This is where my older son usually shouts: NEEERRRRDDD.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Apple TV. I'm not into the "death by 1000 small cuts" mode of subscriptions either.

I had seen a preview somewhere of lunar astronauts with weaponry and decided right there not to watch. But then a fellow nerd from work said they got past them, and the show was pretty good. But this business of blaming von Braun for, as you say, being born in the wrong place and time, sheesh. There were plenty of pro-Nazi folks in the states, too, and they weren't saturated with a state media and all the rest that went into being German at that time, including intimidation.

I was in a steel mill near here once balancing a generator when I noticed a steam valve - German made, with a swastika cast into the housing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warnings, aounds like a candidate for MST3K?

At least I won't be expecting much if I watch.

I have the problem of disbelief for just about every TV show or movie. I stopped watching TV during the run up to the 2016 election. The only thing I sit down to watch is Jeopardy. My wife watches TV all day. When I go in the house I stop to watch and see what's on. Then I comment that what I see isn't close to reality or that what the characters are doing is impossible. For instance, Someone shooting a gun and never runs out of bullets or reloads. Firing a machine gun. I know what their rate of fire is. But they shoot their Uzi for 15 seconds with a 30 round mag. A mag dump only last about 3 seconds. RPG's hitting something and producing a giant fireball and turning the target into confetti. Same thing with hand grenades. Giant fireball. What's sad is that people believe that TV and movie crap.
Same. I also can't believe how almost every movie has the guy(s) with the gun rack the slide to show they're serious... so it was unloaded when they were pointing the gun? Even worse is when they do it twice! 😆

Last edited:
I agree. These supposedly high speed operators don't carry with a round in the chamber. Yea right. I think the problem with unrealistic gun handling is the fault of the director. Who probably doesn't know anything about guns or the people who carry for a living.

Latest posts

Back