F100 new black powder motor.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
Just thinking, I would like to see someone take a stab at making a new F100 motor, one that actually delivers 100 nsec as designated.Seeing as how the originals were underrated it would be something to see a true 100nsec motor go up.There are a lot of models I would love to have a go with one of those,might even bring back a few of the FSI classics.But is it possible?Estes has the equipment i believe but i'm not sure they'd want to take a chance on it.But if you ask me it could make practical designs that may have been difficult or even almost impossible to do.Never had the chance to fly FSI motors here in Northeast Pa for lack of adequate space.Just sitting here with nothing to do and spewing out some random thoughts, Mondays around here are SO boring I have to keep checking myself for a pulse!

I would like to see new core-burning motors in a variety of sizes from B through F. I think there would be a market among rocket enthusiasts, I don't know how much within the general public, and they would surely cost more.

I would like to see new core-burning motors in a variety of sizes from B through F. I think there would be a market among rocket enthusiasts, I don't know how much within the general public, and they would surely cost more.
I've always been fascinated by the FSI big core burners,like the F100 and E60's.I've been around since the late 60's and have never had the opportunity to fly them because of a lack of space here in Northeast Pennsylvania.I really wish I could find a source who would be able to ship them legally, I know of two people who have the motors but can't ship them.I think we need to put pressure on Estes in order to produce them, considering they're the only game in town when it comes to black powder motors.If not them maybe some one else can be convinced into doing it.If enough people speak up maybe we can get some movement on this.

Just thinking, I would like to see someone take a stab at making a new F100 motor, one that actually delivers 100 nsec as designated.Seeing as how the originals were underrated it would be something to see a true 100nsec motor go up.There are a lot of models I would love to have a go with one of those,might even bring back a few of the FSI classics.But is it possible?Estes has the equipment i believe but i'm not sure they'd want to take a chance on it.But if you ask me it could make practical designs that may have been difficult or even almost impossible to do.Never had the chance to fly FSI motors here in Northeast Pa for lack of adequate space.Just sitting here with nothing to do and spewing out some random thoughts, Mondays around here are SO boring I have to keep checking myself for a pulse!
because it's hard, extremely expensive and fairly dangerous.

I wonder out loud what the cost would be to develop the motor, make a machine to manufacture the motor, get the certifications from NAR plus the federal alphabet soup would be and if there would ever be a profit made.

You can't get much above 50 N-s and stay under 62.5g propellant.
Yes, the math is pretty clear about it: 62.5g/1000 (g per kg) * 9.8 m/s^2 (gravity) * 80s (typical Isp of black powder) = 49Ns. Some black powder formulations will beat 80s by a little, but none by a lot.

Latest posts

Back