Rocket City Rednecks Jump the Shark, with very stupid potentially fatal accident.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent broadcasts of Rocket City Rednecks have reflected an increasingly negative image of our hobby and our approach to safety.

We hereby petition for the removal of any & all hobby model rocket & high power rocket motors from the network broadcasts of NatGeo, The Discovery Channel, any of their related affiliates, and any likenesses there of, for displaying improper use of these products in an unsafe and dangerous manner and for unsafe uses other than that on the product instructions stated use. We request the removal of these and similar episodes from future distribution, and/or public or private broadcasts and request any future use of these products be done in a safe, responsible manner.

The following members of Tripoli Rocketry Association & the National Association of Rocketry, hereby endorse this petition and request an apology from the Networks.

Name / TRA# / NAR# / Certification Level

Scott Kormeier / 7764 / 92711 / Level 3
Matt Fletcher / 14257 / N/A / Level 0
Eric Foster / TRA 12959/ Level 3

Recent broadcasts of Rocket City Rednecks have reflected an increasingly negative image of our hobby and our approach to safety.

We hereby petition for the removal of any & all hobby model rocket & high power rocket motors from the network broadcasts of NatGeo, The Discovery Channel, any of their related affiliates, and any likenesses there of, for displaying improper use of these products in an unsafe and dangerous manner and for unsafe uses other than that on the product instructions stated use. We request the removal of these and similar episodes from future distribution, and/or public or private broadcasts and request any future use of these products be done in a safe, responsible manner.

The following members of Tripoli Rocketry Association & the National Association of Rocketry, hereby endorse this petition and request an apology from the Networks.

Scott Kormeier / TRA 7764 / NAR 92711 / Level 3
Matt Fletcher / TRA 14257 / N/A / Level 0
Eric Foster / TRA 12959 / N/A / Level 3
David Walden / TRA 14201 / N/A / Level 0

Michael Ruzzi / TRA N/A / NAR 87149 LR / Level 2

Tom Hier / TRA 9826 / Level 3

Added name to list

I'm curious, does anyone have examples of a show such as this generating real world regulations or restrictions where none existed before?

I'm not talking about someone getting arrested for breaking the law. I'm talking about a 'saw this on TV, we should pass a law against it' type of event? Reality TV shows like this have been around for several years, enough time where something like that should have occurred by now.

I am seriously asking, because I don't know.

FC

I for one can't think of any such outcome.

Chad Rogers / NAR 89278 / Level 2

FastCargo said:
I'm curious, does anyone have examples of a show such as this generating real world regulations or restrictions where none existed before?

I'm not talking about someone getting arrested for breaking the law. I'm talking about a 'saw this on TV, we should pass a law against it' type of event? Reality TV shows like this have been around for several years, enough time where something like that should have occurred by now.

I am seriously asking, because I don't know.

FC

I for one can't think of any such outcome.

There is a first time for every thing and I am in no rush.

You might look into FCC regulations for air broadcast hoaxes.

It's not TV, but close enough and not that far off base. Then there's the recent incident in Australia. I think that might qualify for someone doing something stupid, not realizing the consequences it could have and very potentially causing someone to pass a law or regulation. And if you hadn't heard about it, a woman committed suicide as a result.

Please add your name to the list if you would like to see an end to the unsafe and irresponsible use and display of hobby and high power rocket motors on national television, as shown at the beginning of page 1 on this thread.

If you do not care about the image portrayed, the unsafe use of these products on national television or the negative impacts these nationally televised displays might have on your hobby, then do not add your name. It is your right to do either one.

Thank you to all of those who have signed your name thus far.

To the rest, after what we have seen thus far, we feel this is in our best interest.

I've often wondered on shows that use high power rocket motors how they get them and if they are certified. Recently on Mythbusters, they used a bunch of CTI K motors, but of course they did everything fairly safely.

Gregg Discenza / NAR 91293 / Level 1

I've often wondered on shows that use high power rocket motors how they get them and if they are certified. Recently on Mythbusters, they used a bunch of CTI K motors, but of course they did everything fairly safely.

The certification procedure provides a way for us, as hobbyists, to legally purchase and use rocket motors in most places. It's not the only way that you can legally purchase and use rocket motors. Commercial interests, the government, researchers, and others (such as those in the TV and movie industry) fall under different sets of rules. They use licensed pyrotechnicians (who should know better than to allow the stupidity shown in the TV show).

-- Roger

Lamar Martinez / NAR 77683 / Level 1

You might look into FCC regulations for air broadcast hoaxes.

It's not TV, but close enough and not that far off base. Then there's the recent incident in Australia. I think that might qualify for someone doing something stupid, not realizing the consequences it could have and very potentially causing someone to pass a law or regulation. And if you hadn't heard about it, a woman committed suicide as a result.

Difference is that all those incidents which resulted in such laws were committed with the specific intent of involving other people not 'in on it'. The idea for those laws being passed was to insure the safety of people who are not active participants in the activity, or to involve others without their knowledge or consent.

As far as I know, on most reality shows that feature unsafe (and yes, it is unsafe) practices such as on RCR, all the participants are in full knowledge and consent to do the activity (if not necessarily cogent of the possible consequences).

I do cringe when I hear about RCR (watched it a few times after hearing about it here...liked the Arecibo imitation using just a dug out crater) from a few folks not in the hobby, and I explain how it's not viewed in a positive light by the hobby rocketry community. All the responses have been "Well, duh, it is called RCR for a reason...", and my faith in humanity is restored. Folks realize it's TV, for entertainment, and has no bearing on what we want or encourage our children to do.

Like a few others have said, I'd be more concerned about what friends curious about rocketry end up finding on YouTube. Things like watching a 1/2 scale (?) Pershing II come in ballistic, or some group deliberately launch a huge X-Wing (4 'I's?) knowing it was going to break up, or even a few of my launches, where rockets that have normally been decent fliers without a problem suddenly do something unexpected with the same exact configuration they've flown on many times before. Not to mention all the really stupid things folks do with rockets and rocket engines that they post on YouTube or other places.

Besides, l'd love to hear this argument on the floor of Congress...

"Wait, you want to regulate something because you saw a TV show called 'Rocket City Rednecks'...."

FC

I believe you are completely missing the point. It is not what the TV guys do that will get us new regulations or laws, it is the person playing "I wanna be a Rocket Redneck" who finds a motor to buy on ebay, or somewhere, and does something similar down his street, or something worse. Person gets hurt/killed, then you have the same situation as the DJs. Nobody ever is meant to get hurt,it is never intended to surprise anyone, but if or when they do.........bad news man. Baaaad news.

People do stupid things and others imitate them all the time. It makes no sense for us to let them simply put ideas in their head. A broadcast network is most likely much easier to convince than YouTube as well. Don't forget the RCR guys are "pro's too. Not like any of the idiots on youtube. I mean, these guys made it on national TV afterall.

Those who have signed their name believe that this is something that is within our control, as far as networks go. For anyone thinking it'll never work, why not try? The worst they can say is no. Then if something ever does happen we can at least say we tried, and show that for the record.

I'll sign a petition saying that I don't support this petition...

But that does not mean that I don't think the RCR show has gone off the rails or that I don't agree they did something stupid.

Adrian Butler / NAR 73787 / Tripoli 13524 Level 2

David Bauer / NAR 88405/ Level 1

Jarrett Dorough / NAR 92853 / Level 2

Jarrett Dorough / NAR 92853 / Level 2
Jason Sargent / NAR 93283 / Level 1

I'm curious why the inclusion of Discovery Channel in the petition? I couldn't find a reference to it as a parent company of Nat Geo...?

I would sign that petition Chad ...............

Paul C Glassen / NAR93397 / Level 1

Sorry, but I'm still not seeing the relationship between Discovery Channel and National Geographic on the page that you posted. There's no reference to Rocket City Rednecks or Nat Geo.

Neither am I. In my research, I don't show RCR as being part of the Discovery Communications family in any way.

FC

The connection between NatGeo and the Discovery Channel, IMO, is that neither does a very good job accurately portraying us as hobby rocketeers. I don't know about the rest of you, but my dreams of rocket flight are far closer to that of the Carmack Prize winning flight and not that of flying 400lbs of gasoline powered garbage.

If we exclude Discovery Channel in this message, it says to them, "hey we must be doing something right." Last I checked, there was a LOT of people who didn't even want Discovery Channel at our launches any more. (at least not a clear majority in favor of it) Odd rocks are fun and different, but that's not what hobby rocketry is all about, and there is no real contest except for the silly ones we make up for ourselves. I have yet to hear anything on the Discovery Channel about any of the actual contests like NAR has, or SLI & TARC. I'm sure if there was a small bleep about one that got lost in all the other episodes, someone will post it for me.

If the Discovery Channel were broadcasting stories about the Carmack Prize and following contest entrants and showing programs about the team that won, I'd gladly give them a pat on the back and say "thank you, job well done." And please, no one tell me that doesn't sell commercials, because I don't care about the advertisers unless it's Armadillo Aerospace, Space X, Blue Origin or the like. Last I checked, they weren't. The one and only time I was exposed to the Discovery Channel at a launch they were asking people (spectators and rocket folks) to act like scripted fools to yell, jump and scream for the camera guy, on cue. That is exactly what I see when I watch DC episodes online and it just makes me shake my head roll my eyes. I personally don't like being portrayed like this and that is why I included it. I suspect everyone else who has signed their name feels very similarly, or at least feels that the direction the Discovery Channel episodes are headed in is not in the right direction.

If someone is going to show the world on national TV about what it is we do and enjoy, I personally would like them to do it in as accurate a light as possible. I would like them to emphasize the extent we go to in order to make it safe for all who are involved. If they cannot do this and still sell the show to advertisers, then they need to look somewhere else IMO. If a clear message is sent to any & all networks who currently show hobby or high power rocket motors (commercial, certified commercial or experimental) being used in their programming, perhaps they will all put more thought into delivering a message AND image of safety and responsibility in order to seek our approval.

If an accurate and safe type of programming doesn't sell advertisements for them, it is not our loss............ I guess they can go film apple pie baking contests, call it a race to the finish and call Betty Crocker with the winner.

If you agree this is in your clubs best interest, copy the text below and add your name please.
If it would please more people, perhaps we could change the apology request to come from the RCR staff only.

Adrian Butler / NAR 73787 / TRA 13524 / Level 2