When Rushing To Launch Goes Wrong: Poor judgement leads to a very "educational" flight.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchap

Reaction score
My MAC Performance Hyper54, which has been through hell, had a crack in the forward airframe that was getting too big for fixing and I didn't want to sacrifice what precious space I had in the forward compartment by cutting it off, so I decided to replace it with a slightly longer airframe section. MAC kits are made of canvas phenolic (a wonderful material for rockets), but I couldn't get it in time for the launch a few days away. I could, however, get a piece of PML kraft phenolic in time - with almost identical dimensions - from my friend Bernie.
image_6714291344.JPGimage_12365h02911 (1).JPG

While drilling a hole for one of the av bay attachment screws, I managed to push the drill bit through one side new airframe and out the other. And not clean holes. So I patched those up with JB Weld and then pretended it didn't happen. During the test fit with full recovery gear, I noticed the nosecone didn't sit flush to the airframe all the way around. It looked like some uneven sanding at that end of the airframe had caused it to be out of square. But it was such a small gap and it only covered about 25% of the circumference. Should be fine.

Oh, and I forgot the vent holes.

Flight Profile: During powered boost from a 6-grain CTI K711 White, the rocket oscillated rapidly while transonic which was immediately followed by a puff in the smoke trail that seemed to contain debris. The rocket then stabilized and continued into a normal trajectory and apogee event. However, I spotted the main parachute fully deployed where the incident occurred, which is not normal at all.
image_123650291.JPG
My theory is a combination of that nosecone gap and the lack of venting were enough to get the nosecone off-axis resulting in the disintegration of the already compromised airframe. Remarkably, the force was enough to snap the 1/4" tubular kevlar shock cord, yet the rocket - with the av bay as the nosecone now - somehow continued on to 9K' and was recovered undamaged even though the only parachute available had previously disembarked and was lazily drifting toward Miami.
image_67214081.JPGimage_67216129.JPGimage_67212801.JPG
Lost a Wildman FWFG nosecone, a high-performance thin-mil Rocketman parachute, and one Tracki GPS transponder.

Last edited:
" i just do this for fun, boys":D
Yeah, I was dunking on the group of students I was out at the pads with. That's their big rocket next to mine. 6000' on an L with guidance control fins. I told them it was "cute" and asked if their mommies helped them build it. Then one of them asked me, "Hey gramps, who certed your L1? Robert Goddard?" That's when things escalated... 🤣😆😂

Last edited:
Yeah, I was dunking on the group of students I was out at the pads with. That's their big rocket next to mine. 6000' on an L with guidance control fins. I told them it was "cute" and asked if their mommies helped them build it. Then one of them asked me, "Hey gramps, who certed your L1? Robert Goddard?" That's when things escalated... 🤣😆😂
I would have replied, "Nope. Congreve."

Just for your knowledge,

I don't know where you got that harness that you said is 1/4" Tubular Kevlar,

This pic

1707673406244.png

You said the harness snapped.
It didn't.
That material didn't catastrophically fail due to an overloading with simple tension.
If it did it wouldn't be near so straight of a failure point.
That material in this pic was cut, likely on the edge of the airframe during the high velocity separation event.

Teddy

Just for your knowledge,

I don't know where you got that harness that you said is 1/4" Tubular Kevlar,

This pic

View attachment 629922

You said the harness snapped.
It didn't.
That material didn't catastrophically fail due to an overloading with simple tension.
If it did it wouldn't be near so straight of a failure point.
That material in this pic was cut, likely on the edge of the airframe during the high velocity separation event.

Teddy
Cut, severed, split, whatever. The point is a violent separation of a significant portion of the rocket occurred while the rest of the rocket just shook it off and kept going. I've never seen anything like it. But I've only been doing this part time for about three years.

My daughters extended Mac Performance Hyper 54 - 'Fin & Sonic' - total length is 208cm / 82"

View attachment 629983

She's flying it on an L1360 next month for her NZRA Level 2 flight.
Sims to just under 6km / 19'600' @ Mach 1.8
Fitted out with 1/4" OneBadHawk goodness top & bottom.
Now we're talkin'. What is that motor, though? I don't see it anywhere.

Now we're talkin'. What is that motor, though? I don't see it anywhere.

Motor is a locally (New Zealand) produced motor from VT Propellants.

VTP Catalog attached - to convert between NZ Peso & US Peso, multiply the figures by 0.6. ie NZD$100.00 = USD$60.00

1707689108868.png

Attachments

• VT Propellants Catalogue 2024.pdf
    537.7 KB · Views: 0
Motor is a locally (New Zealand) produced motor from VT Propellants.

VTP Catalog attached - to convert between NZ Peso & US Peso, multiply the figures by 0.6. ie NZD$100.00 = USD$60.00

View attachment 630004
Good Lord. This motor in my barely 5 pound Hyper would give it a thrust to weight ratio at liftoff of 61:1. Yeah, so you’re going to want to make sure you don’t have components that look like a rat chewed on one end, that you have proper ventilation, and that you NOT punch ragged holes through the airframe with your drill before flight. You’re welcome.

My MAC Performance Hyper54, which has been through hell, had a crack in the forward airframe that was getting too big for fixing and I didn't want to sacrifice what precious space I had in the forward compartment by cutting it off, so I decided to replace it with a slightly longer airframe section. MAC kits are made of canvas phenolic (a wonderful material for rockets), but I couldn't get it in time for the launch a few days away. I could, however, get a piece of PML kraft phenolic in time - with almost identical dimensions - from my friend Bernie.
View attachment 629840View attachment 629841

While drilling a hole for one of the av bay attachment screws, I managed to push the drill bit through one side new airframe and out the other. And not clean holes. So I patched those up with JB Weld and then pretended it didn't happen. During the test fit with full recovery gear, I noticed the nosecone didn't sit flush to the airframe all the way around. It looked like some uneven sanding at that end of the airframe had caused it to be out of square. But it was such a small gap and it only covered about 25% of the circumference. Should be fine.

Oh, and I forgot the vent holes.

Flight Profile: During powered boost from a 6-grain CTI K711 White, the rocket oscillated rapidly while transonic which was immediately followed by a puff in the smoke trail that seemed to contain debris. The rocket then stabilized and continued into a normal trajectory and apogee event. However, I spotted the main parachute fully deployed where the incident occurred, which is not normal at all.
View attachment 629842
My theory is a combination of that nosecone gap and the lack of venting were enough to get the nosecone off-axis resulting in the disintegration of the already compromised airframe. Remarkably, the force was enough to snap the 1/4" tubular kevlar shock cord, yet the rocket - with the av bay as the nosecone now - somehow continued on to 9K' and was recovered undamaged even though the only parachute available had previously disembarked and was lazily drifting toward Miami.
View attachment 629843View attachment 629844View attachment 629845
Lost a Wildman FWFG nosecone, a high-performance thin-mil Rocketman parachute, and one Tracki GPS transponder.

Wow, but really interesting....

Michael B.

My phone, lol. Was back at the early 20p1 threads, lol. If this was an older thread, apologies....lol!

Last edited:
Wow, but really interesting....

Michael B.

My phone, lol. Was back at the early 20p1 threads, lol. If this was an older thread, apologies....lol!
Nah, you’re good. A couple weeks ago I responded to a thread and bumped it up to the front page. The last post previous to that was in 2001.

My daughters extended Mac Performance Hyper 54 - 'Fin & Sonic' - total length is 208cm / 82"

View attachment 629983

She's flying it on an L1360 next month for her NZRA Level 2 flight.
Sims to just under 6km / 19'600' @ Mach 1.8
Fitted out with 1/4" OneBadHawk goodness top & bottom.
It's nice to see a goofily happy young person. The rocket is cool. I guess I've been out of the game a long time - the aluminum fins riveted on are interesting. Good luck to your daughter for her cert flight.

My university team at Spaceport America had a similar failure. Our nose cone coupler failed and the nose came off pulling the chutes out with it. Our kevlar harness was sheared clean off by our aluminum bulkhead. We had radial bolts securing our body tubes to aluminum bulkhead, and our aluminum nose cone tip (after being swung around into the rocket) impaced one of the bolts and the blunt force took the head of the screw off, and embedded it into the nose cone tip. Here are some videos: Ground tracking video, and onboard GoPRO

Wouldn't the nose cone gap have served as a vent? I wonder if that wasn't a low pressure area, the gap sucked all the air out, and the tube was crushed.

If you're going to mix epoxy to do a repair, why not do it with a little fiberglass as well? Much stiffer and stronger.

Back