I do not want to see the new movie "I.S.S."

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty bad from the trailers - there has to be a very compelling reason anymore to get us to the theater and I.S.S. isn’t giving me that vibe.

Seems like Re-kick of US/USSR crews in an undersea station and also previous old school space station. I won't even watch the trailer.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to watch a movie solely based on trailers IMHO. For me, this is certainly the case. It really is a completely absurd premise.

The last movie that I felt was good enough to get me into a theater was Top Gun: Maverick. So no, I won't be watching this in theaters.
That was one of a couple we saw in 2023. Last year it was John Wick 4 and Godzilla Minus 1. There’s been so few movies the last few years that have piqued my interest enough to make the effort to go to the theater.

But I have been taking advantage of our library system to watch many Westerns from the 40s -50s that I’d not seen before - really digging Joel McCrea’s movies from that period! Trooper Hook and Colorado Territory are real gems.

I have the problem of disbelief for just about every TV show or movie. I stopped watching TV during the run up to the 2016 election. The only thing I sit down to watch is Jeopardy. My wife watches TV all day. When I go in the house I stop to watch and see what's on. Then I comment that what I see isn't close to reality or that what the characters are doing is impossible. For instance, Someone shooting a gun and never runs out of bullets or reloads. Firing a machine gun. I know what their rate of fire is. But they shoot their Uzi for 15 seconds with a 30 round mag. A mag dump only last about 3 seconds. RPG's hitting something and producing a giant fireball and turning the target into confetti. Same thing with hand grenades. Giant fireball. What's sad is that people believe that TV and movie crap.

One question why do they want the ISS? It’s not like it’s a fortress or anything?

Agreed. If the US and Russia were having a nuclear war, I’d think they would have bigger things to worry about than ISS. It doesn’t have much military or strategic value.

The other thing the astronauts would have to consider is how long could they stay aboard ISS while the radioactive dust settles below. And where and how are they going to land when they have to go home? Will there be anyone to pick them up out of the ocean if they return on a Dragon? Or retrieve them from wherever Soyuz lands? They have bigger things to worry about than fighting each other.

In general, a near-future war in space might make a decent movie, but the way this one is premised is not appealing and doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Agreed. If the US and Russia were having a nuclear war, I’d think they would have bigger things to worry about than ISS. It doesn’t have much military or strategic value.

The other thing the astronauts would have to consider is how long could they stay aboard ISS while the radioactive dust settles below. And where and how are they going to land when they have to go home? Will there be anyone to pick them up out of the ocean if they return on a Dragon? Or retrieve them from wherever Soyuz lands? They have bigger things to worry about than fighting each other.

In general, a near-future war in space might make a decent movie, but the way this one is premised is not appealing and doesn’t make a lot of sense.
I wish someone would do more hard Sci fi less nonsense. But it’s probably to much to ask.

Ps maybe a move of Rolling Stones

I take issue with the nuke scene, it shows every square yard of earth covered in nuclear fire. The bomb blasts are hundreds of miles in diameter. Real ones are only a few miles in diameter. Bunch of sensationalist B.S.

I wish someone would do more hard Sci fi less nonsense. But it’s probably to much to ask.
Try "The Last Command" by Arthur C. Clarke. Somewhat similar idea about people in space when the nukes fly, but way more sensible and a big shock at the end.

It's a short story. You can read it in a few minutes.

Try "The Last Command" by Arthur C. Clarke. Somewhat similar idea about people in space when the nukes fly, but way more sensible and a big shock at the end.

It's a short story. You can read it in a few minutes.
Thanks! BTW the last book you recommended I have been loving so it must be good.

The very thought of waging a war in space is nauseating. Must we kill and destroy everywhere we go? What part of "We came in peace for all mankind" is so hard to understand? Stupid Hollywood...

Another good read is Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles". Kinda sci-fi-ey, but much more a moral tale. I think Elon Musk is propelled by this scenario in a way...

The very thought of waging a war in space is nauseating. Must we kill and destroy everywhere we go?
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

The Expanse was probably the most realistic view of what things will be like when humanity's reach encompasses the entire solar system.

The Expanse was probably the most realistic view of what things will be like when humanity's reach encompasses the entire solar system.
The Expanse was truly interesting Sci Fi because it was both Utopian (we get into the Solar System and colonize everything) and Dystopian (class struggles, war between inner planets and belters, and unless you live on Earth life is brutal). What I particularly liked was the Belters trying to colonize on these newly available worlds once the Protomolecule makes the Wormhole(s); and many of them can't take the gravity, or can't even get used to the idea of living on a world with an ocean and a sky. It's got a lot of good stuff.
"For All Mankind" has been the best show so far for me, because they make every effort of get the science right, the whole crew from sets to costumes is trying to make things as accurate as possible. It's great stuff from a Nerd perspective.

The Expanse was truly interesting Sci Fi because it was both Utopian (we get into the Solar System and colonize everything) and Dystopian (class struggles, war between inner planets and belters, and unless you live on Earth life is brutal). What I particularly liked was the Belters trying to colonize on these newly available worlds once the Protomolecule makes the Wormhole(s); and many of them can't take the gravity, or can't even get used to the idea of living on a world with an ocean and a sky. It's got a lot of good stuff.
"For All Mankind" has been the best show so far for me, because they make every effort of get the science right, the whole crew from sets to costumes is trying to make things as accurate as possible. It's great stuff from a Nerd perspective.
Yeah, if I actually had time for TV, I'd give "For All Mankind" a fling.

Back